TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Re-upholstered My Roof Liner, Now A Pillars also

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Re-upholstered My Roof Liner, Now A Pillars also

Postby mitsu4life » May 27th, 2010, 11:36 am

Okay so finally got around to doing it, it came out okay, I did hurriedly as I got somewhat impatient. I will definitely be doing the A, B and C pillars to match.

This fabric is uber cool lol you can leave hand prints in it, I bought 3 yards at $75/yard, I still have enough to do the A pillars and the sun-roof visor. All the handles and sun visors will also be dyed black using Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye (Duplicolor dude sponsor me a tin nah you getting good marketing here :lol: ). The reason I didn't do the sun-roof visor was because from what I saw its troublesome to remove so I will do that later when I do the pillars.

Pics of the fabric and hand prints :D

So here is the roof loner off the vehicle, its really not hard to take out and I definitely suggest getting a friend to help out, you will need someone to support the front...mine got torn slightly by the sun roof section :?

What I did was first start from the middle of the liner working to the front or back on side at a time. Make sure you leave excess fabric on all sides because as you start to glue fabric down it contours to the liner so if you cut exact you may come up short on an end and have to buy more fabric.

Basically I just used evo stick and a 1" paint brush painting an area about 4"-5" across, then sort of un-rolled the fabric over the glue. I started pressing from the center going outwards in a diagonal manner to get rid of air spaces and press the fabric into the glue. Its best if you let the glue get slightly tacky first as it may run through the fabric. TAKE YOUR TIME, the fabric can bunch up and get wrinkles etc., especially to the front of the liner near the sun roof.

after I applied the glue I rolled the fabric over it

So after you apply the glue and press down your fabric and it dries a bit, you need to start trim off the edges and cutting out the holes etc. MAKE SURE TO USE A REALLY REALLY SHARP KNIFE/BLADE

Okay so time to mount it back up, I didn't take pics taking it off but it just the reverse. Once again a friend helping out would be great I didn't have one though. Also do not tighten anything all the way as yet, you may need to tug the liner back an forth to get all the holes to line back up.

There are 2 plastic screws, one by the top of the A pillar and another by the top of the B pillar, these are the type that the threading is also a plastic stopper type thingy (everything is the exact same for both sides of the vehicle)

A pillar

B pillar

At the top of the quarter panel glass there are also 2 of the same type screws to be replaced.

The moulding/finisher is just held in with press in clips but be gentle you don't want to break or rip anything. To remove this you will have to un-bolt the seat belt from the B pillar. Its a 17mm bolt.

Here are pics of the screws that hold the liner in place and also the clips that hold the finisher in place

After the screws are in place just snap back the finishers into place. After that you can mount the support handles in the back or front, i did the rear first as i put the rear screws in last.

The handles are held in place by 2 large phillip head screws.

These are the little covers that hide the screws just pop them in, they can be removed with your finger nail/screw driver.

Next I did the front handles, same size screws as the rear.

The sun visors were next. They were flat head screws.

After that i put back up my dome light, its held in place with 2 8mm nuts, be careful when putting it back up, I think I touched the +ve wire connector to the roof an blew the fuse

the lens just snaps in and out, used a small flat head screw driver to pry it out.

Now were done, well almost I didn't put back the A pillar finishers but you get the idea, doesn't look too bad...will look even better when everything is black 8-)

Last edited by mitsu4life on June 5th, 2010, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Honda_Crew
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Anyone Ever Re-upholstered Their Roof Liner?

Postby Honda_Crew » May 27th, 2010, 11:47 am

I know most people use evo-stick but I don't know much about fabric so
I can't tell you if it would work with the material your using.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » May 27th, 2010, 3:56 pm

I have wanted to redo my liner as well... the original vinyl is so brittle that I can easily break thru it with a fingernail !

Normal Evo Stick cannot take the kind of heat you will encounter in a parked vehicle and will likely 'let go'. Not sure what upholsterers actually use.

halfdef
Sweet on this forum

Postby halfdef » May 27th, 2010, 8:30 pm

spray glue x2 has a good point with the heat the best spray glue to use is the 3m brand

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » May 27th, 2010, 8:57 pm

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » May 28th, 2010, 8:42 am

I got the material this morning, it looks really cool 8-) , I should be starting Saturday morning so i guess I'll throw up a few pics as i make some progress. I have one problem though i can't seem to figure out how to remove the sliding visor for the sun roof :? , i really don't want to take the whole sun roof assembly out

Any of those power sellers selling 3M Products?

On a side that liner i guess is about maybe 5 lbs for those who want to put the cars on a diet lol

Honda_Crew
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Honda_Crew » May 28th, 2010, 4:24 pm

I myself have been trying to remove sunroof liner with no luck. If you happen to
get it out please post how.

nolimit
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nolimit » May 28th, 2010, 11:27 pm

You can check Tiny's in Curepe or Peakes for 3M Products

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » May 29th, 2010, 12:23 am

Honda_Crew wrote:I myself have been trying to remove sunroof liner with no luck. If you happen to
get it out please post how.

It was easy, this for an eg hatch,

First you have to remove the sun visors and the stops that lock them in position...mine were held in with screws.

Then remove the supports handles (handle that are just over your head) you will need to life the finishers of the ends to get the screws. You need to remove the passenger side and the two in the back as well.

Remove the dome light, you will to to pry off the plastic lens, there should be 2 8mm nuts holding it to the roof. Be gentle by now the plastic may have become brittle and will crack and break easily. When the nuts are removed the whole assembly will become loose, there is a small jack that's connected to it, un-clip it and your done.

You will now have to remove the plastic moulding/garnish that covers the A, B and C pillars...they are held in by press in clips. Once again be careful as you don't want to break off any of the clips. The A pillar is easy. For the B and C pillars you will need to un-bolt the seat beat strap from the B pillar. In the hatch the finisher/garnish for the Band C pillars is one piece so i just pulled the top part out (same type of clips as the A pillar) so that it would not hold the roof finisher in place.

There a 6 plastic screws that hold the liner in place, start from the front first, tilt you seats slightly forward to support the liner as it drops. The remove the screws from the back. There are 2 grommet type thingy's in the center you will need to remove as well....they are a pain in the ass to get out....i broke both of them :|

Once the are out the line should just drop, it easier if you have a friend helping, my liner was a kind of cardboard like material so it will break if you bend it much, so make sure you have somewhere flat to rest it.

I'll post some pics 2moro to give more detail

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Re: I Re-upholstered My Roof Liner (Eg Hatch), Lots of Pics

Postby mitsu4life » June 3rd, 2010, 11:20 am

pics are up

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » June 3rd, 2010, 12:17 pm

well done dude! 0X

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » June 3rd, 2010, 1:36 pm

nice job
but the recaros outta place

go give u a 15 for them :D

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » June 3rd, 2010, 2:14 pm

lol thanks guys, those recaros in mint condition so they staying :lol: , I will do the doors with the red inserts with the same type material so it should compliment the recaros well.

Now i'm wondering how easy it is to wrap the entire dash :twisted: , i can't seem to find a black one anywhere

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » June 3rd, 2010, 2:44 pm

clean and paint the dash

200% easier

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » June 3rd, 2010, 2:55 pm

red_dragon wrote:clean and paint the dash

200% easier

I know but the previous owners of the vehicle decided to mount a big tach in the centre of the dash :evil: , the centre vent on the dash is cracked as a screw went threw it, I cant understand why ppl would drill their dashboard. Plus it looked like some tried to steal the deck because there a lot scrapes and bruises all over the AC console

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Re: Re-upholstered My Roof Liner, Now A Pillars also

Postby mitsu4life » June 5th, 2010, 12:12 pm

So the sun visors were a bit difficult to do, basically I cut them in half,

then drew around the outer edges to get the shape to cut out from the suede.

From there it was a matter of wrapping each half face with the suede, which was a total pain the ass to do :fist:

Completed one side

Here's the next side

The piece of cardboard that supported the centre was broken so I cut out a new piece

Then i just stuck the two sides together like a sandwich

the only thing I didn't like was that the corners were kinda boxy but it doesn't look too bad in the car.

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » June 5th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Next I did the A pillars, these were VERY easy I probably spent 10 mins on a side including taking it off and putting it back on. I washed them with squeeze and wiped them with rubbing alcohol to remove grease etc. before I applied any glue.

Cutting the suede to shape

Completed

Here they mounted in the car together with the sun visor

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » June 6th, 2010, 10:08 am

ITR dash swap FTW

Rooki3
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rooki3 » June 6th, 2010, 10:20 am

nice write up pallo

dragaholic
Riding on 18's

Postby dragaholic » June 6th, 2010, 12:36 pm

good job. But I believe what X2 said is correct. the evostick may start to let go in extreme heat. 3M upholstery spray glue may have worked better and easier to apply.

halfdef
Sweet on this forum

Postby halfdef » June 6th, 2010, 7:59 pm

mitsu4life you really have alot of time but i must say you are going good i feel them RECARO seats will look better in my car

Honda_Crew
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Honda_Crew » June 8th, 2010, 11:51 am

Good Job now how much it will cost to do mine... Just kidding lol...

Might do this with one of my cars later down the road, but I would use leatherette instead
of the suede material, something like what the rx7 3rd gens come with.
Last edited by Honda_Crew on June 9th, 2010, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » June 9th, 2010, 10:48 am

Honda_Crew wrote:Might do this with one of my cars later down the road, but I would use leatherette instead
of the swayed material, something like what the rx7 3rd gens come with.

:shock:

It looks great.

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » June 9th, 2010, 11:20 am

Conrad wrote:
Honda_Crew wrote:Might do this with one of my cars later down the road, but I would use leatherette instead
of the swayed material, something like what the rx7 3rd gens come with.

:shock:

It looks great.

thanks man!

alexfos101
3NE 2NR for life

Postby alexfos101 » June 12th, 2010, 10:41 am

There is a man in St joseph that does interior BMW recommended ill get the number if u want

mitsu4life
Sweet on this forum

Postby mitsu4life » June 12th, 2010, 4:50 pm

The main reason I did this for myself was because this year is a bit financially restricted for me so I doubt I'll be able to pay BMW price lol, but thanks for the offer

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”