TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Bad power steering pump?

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

COROLLA KID
Riding on 16's

Bad power steering pump?

Postby COROLLA KID » June 17th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Posted this in the tech section but thought I'de post it here also since its a honda.

So here's the problem: When i start the car is idles normal but when i start to lock the steering like to get out of a parking space the idle drops really low and sometimes the car stalls. Also if im in a parked position with the engine running and i turn the steering all the way one side and hold it the steering sorta lightly jerks in the opposite direction. My guess here is the pump's gone bad or it's going..
This dropping of idle and stalling also happens sometimes when im driving an releases the gas pedal to stop or slow down...

handsomeRob2837
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Bad power steering pump?

Postby handsomeRob2837 » June 23rd, 2014, 8:03 am

Sounds like your power steering pressure switch on your steering rack needs to be checked or replaced (providing your car has one). When the steering is turned, the PS pump has to pump fluid thru the entire system at a certain pressure. The switch 'raises' the idle so the pump would work properly. Was having similar problems and changed mine. No issues after. Its about $850 by Autonation but i bought mine of ebay for about $200. Hope this helps.

handsomeRob2837
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Bad power steering pump?

Postby handsomeRob2837 » June 23rd, 2014, 8:03 am

Sounds like your power steering pressure switch on your steering rack needs to be checked or replaced (providing your car has one). When the steering is turned, the PS pump has to pump fluid thru the entire system at a certain pressure. The switch 'raises' the idle so the pump would work properly. Was having similar problems and changed mine. No issues after. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”