TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Electrical charging problems. (new alternator)

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

live67
Street 2NR

Electrical charging problems. (new alternator)

Postby live67 » November 20th, 2014, 8:25 am

Dear All,

First let me explain the problem.

I have a Honda Civic EK4 1996 model (SiR)

I always had electrical problems, with battery charging, but it would occur on and off for years.

I swiped the alternators back and forth between a foreign used engine (same SiR type engine) and my original one, but the problem persisted.

I had a voltmeter installed on the pillar bar and I could see that the voltage would fluctuate from 14V charging back down to 12V and then back up to 14V. When I stopped and put the car in neutral, the voltage moves from 12V back to 13.8-14V charging. This fluctuation only occurs after the car gets up to normal operating temperature.

Sometimes when I shut off, the car would not respond to starting again. Finally it got worse, to when, I had to jumpstart the car many times in the last few weeks, because when ever I park and shut off (usually after a long drive from POS to Trinicity), I would have difficulty starting back up.

Ultimately, I changed the used alternator to a brand new (never used) one and now in addition to the fluctuating voltage, the battery light comes on, and the voltmeter stays at 12V.

I have sufficient grounding, from the battery to the chassis, from the battery to the area by the thermostat, from the tappet cover to the front metal and other grounding locations. I even went by Congo in Diego Martin, who put another ground from the alternator case to the chassis. All groundings are clean. The engine compartment has be engine washed.

I changed the battery to a new battery, I changed the alternator to a new alternator, and I had the mechanic check the starter, which he says is in great shape.

The mechanic put a new wire running from the alternator directly to the battery.

Still the problem persists.

I need some help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Re: Electrical charging problems. (new alternator)

Postby red_dragon » November 20th, 2014, 8:43 am

If the car does not want to start the alternator is not at fault unless it was not charging the battery and it ran down.

Check the main relay . Was it ever replaced ? When this goes bad it can cause all the problems you explained with the starting

In addition let a electrician check all the wire that jack into the Alternator and ensure those are good

deivid
3NE 2NR for life

Postby deivid » December 19th, 2014, 9:47 pm

does this have a charging light on the dashboard,,,,,(battery) light

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » December 19th, 2014, 10:23 pm

deivid wrote:does this have a charging light on the dashboard,,,,,(battery) light

D man say the battery light came on...

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » December 19th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Deon-301 2121...He will sort you out

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”