Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

awesomeandre
Chronic TriniTuner

Transmission Filter

Postby awesomeandre » May 21st, 2007, 5:50 pm

Many of us does not even know the transmission has a filter --- Not even me

was browsing this site and well i got to find out

So what would alyuh recommend under the conditions we cars have here in trini to change the filter

Here is the site

Comfort, ease, and security are provided by a smoothly shifting automatic transmission - one of the most complex, yet reliable components of today's passenger car.

But, because it is so reliable, it is out of sight and out of mind. Taken for granted. Neglected. Until something goes wrong.

Routine service and maintenance of the automotive transmission fluid and filter will ensure the reliability of this essential piece of equipment.

Fluid, under pressure, causes clutches to engage and disengage, valves to open and close, springs to load and unload, gears to change ratio and keep the torque converter in constant motion. The transmission fluid acts as both a lubricant and a coolant, and additives help combat oxidation and foaming while preventing the breakdown of rubber seals and gaskets.

To perform its function, transmission fluid must be free of harmful foreign particles, varnish and sludge. Eventually, even the best fluids need changing - normal wear and heat build up cause contamination and varnish accumulation.

The automatic transmission filter prolongs the life of the fluid and transmission by trapping foreign particles and abrasives from the fluid. But it, like the fluid, will eventually wear out - become plugged and will no longer be able to protect the transmission.

Purolator recommends that the transmission filter and fluid be changed at least every 12 months or 12,000 miles. Check the owner's manual to determine if a more frequent change is recommended.

Since automotive transmissions are so reliable, trouble shooting is an excellent way to determine if the filter and fluid may need changing. The following are signs that could indicate a filter and fluid change is overdue:

* The fluid has changed color from red to brown or yellow
* A change in smell that ranges from a sharp, pungent smell to a burned-rubber odor
* Rough shifting
* Varnish on the transmission dipstick
* New or unusual noises
* A clicking or buzzing sound that may be indicating fluid starvation due to low fluid level

http://www.pureoil.com/

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » May 21st, 2007, 6:20 pm

good info...ah must check out my filter. d guy flush and change d fluid with a machine but he never do anytin wit d filter.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Re: Transmission Filter

Postby venum » May 22nd, 2007, 1:31 am

awesomeandre wrote:Many of us does not even know the transmission has a filter --- Not even me

So what would alyuh recommend under the conditions we cars have here in trini to change the filter

well dude because you didn't know I don't think that it is fair to say that many of us don't know :twisted:

generally recommended to change the filter whenever you change teh fluid, be it engine oil, tranny oil or fuel

so every tranny oil change you should change the filter, that is for vehicles with external filters

for those with only internal filters - not much yuh can easily do

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Re: Transmission Filter

Postby Rayden6 » December 16th, 2023, 10:07 pm

Looking for transmission filter kit (small) for Toyota RWD A340E transmission.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”