tyres

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: tyres

Postby Morpheus » May 11th, 2012, 10:52 am

Dave wrote:i fail to believe those tyres hydroplane at 80km/h

^^Actually this was the case with respect to my post above. Felt like if the transmission was slipping at times.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 11th, 2012, 11:05 am

even 80km in the wet is unsafe

ruff neck chicken
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ruff neck chicken » May 11th, 2012, 11:18 am

Honestly yes, I was not speeding (at the time :lol: )

But yes at certain parts of the highway between Santa Rosa and Piarco traffic lights i did pick up a few skids and even felt the steering wheel unresponsive at approximately 60 - 80 km/h. There were many other instances.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 11th, 2012, 11:31 am

lol
keep it safe if the tyre doesn't meet your expectations

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » May 11th, 2012, 11:35 am

Dave wrote:even 80km in the wet is unsafe

^^Very true. Especially on roads where wear and tear (or just plain bad road works) leaves 2 grooves where tyres pass. When water settles in these grooves. Pressure. I always try to drive outside of these "channels"

In the instance above, I went down to 60km/h and into the left lane :lol:

ruff neck chicken
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ruff neck chicken » May 11th, 2012, 11:44 am

Dave wrote:lol

My rear apparatus was never so contracted before that first hydroplane :oops:

Morpheus wrote:In the instance above, I went down to 60km/h and into the left lane :lol:

I figured that out after I over came my contraction :lol:

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 11th, 2012, 11:55 am

ruff neck chicken wrote:

ROFLMAO
been there, done that

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » May 11th, 2012, 12:35 pm

ruff neck chicken wrote:

Honestly yes, I was not speeding (at the time :lol: )

But yes at certain parts of the highway between Santa Rosa and Piarco traffic lights i did pick up a few skids and even felt the steering wheel unresponsive at approximately 60 - 80 km/h. There were many other instances.

yea those patches of road u speak of are particularly ridgy....esp right before piarco on the right lane....water tends to accumulate there so be cautious with ur dz101s

GTi Guy
Sweet on this forum

Postby GTi Guy » May 19th, 2012, 11:12 pm

taking the simple 90degree left turn at aranguez overpass at normal wet driving speed the front wheels were losing traction and tended to wash wide. some clenching occurred there. not much to say on hydroplaning.. when it does happen the tc keeps it in check

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 22nd, 2012, 2:09 pm

I don't want to sound like a hater, but is it just that I have better tyres than what has been mentioned for the past 1 or 2 pages? I could plow through standing water on the highway and very seldom feel any sort of hydroplaning..

I guess its all a matter of the tyre quality..

-----
As a follow up to my quest for great 16" touring tyres in Trinidad, I got fed up looking and did a custom order of Michelin Primacy MXV4 205/65/16 from Mileage Mack.. Came up to $1500 + vat each.. Hefty price yes, but possiblty the best touring tyre ever made..

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » May 22nd, 2012, 4:15 pm

What tyres you talking about that better?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » May 22nd, 2012, 4:26 pm

X_Factor wrote:i jus had to

finally put these on after i bought them last yr and...WOW
they are nice

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 23rd, 2012, 3:51 am

Glad for you X_Factor.. Also super jealous..
I wish I would know about their sales before they actually happen...

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » May 27th, 2012, 6:27 am

CD4Accord wrote:I don't want to sound like a hater, but is it just that I have better tyres than what has been mentioned for the past 1 or 2 pages? I could plow through standing water on the highway and very seldom feel any sort of hydroplaning..

Agreed. i don't understand how at 60-80km/h people are having that problem. Could try more pressure in them I guess, but it may just be down to tyre quality as mentioned above. I'd probably have to floor the X in water to get any slip resembling that. I definitely don't like knowing it happens that easily for others on the road though. Adds to the worry about people possibly hitting me every time it rains!

Those eagles should have good hydroplaning resistance.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 27th, 2012, 8:21 am

fellas, to what pressure should a T115/70D14 space saver spare be inflated? It's currently at 20 pounds.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » May 27th, 2012, 9:04 am

ruff neck chicken wrote:

Morpheus wrote:In the instance above, I went down to 60km/h and into the left lane :lol:

I figured that out after I over came my contraction :lol:

^^hahahahhahaha yuh know!! Some serious :shock: wtf :shock: wtf :shock: :shock:

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » May 27th, 2012, 9:10 am

nemesis wrote:
CD4Accord wrote:I don't want to sound like a hater, but is it just that I have better tyres than what has been mentioned for the past 1 or 2 pages? I could plow through standing water on the highway and very seldom feel any sort of hydroplaning..

Agreed. i don't understand how at 60-80km/h people are having that problem. Could try more pressure in them I guess, but it may just be down to tyre quality as mentioned above. I'd probably have to floor the X in water to get any slip resembling that. I definitely don't like knowing it happens that easily for others on the road though. Adds to the worry about people possibly hitting me every time it rains!

Those eagles should have good hydroplaning resistance.

I agree. Hence the :shock: .I did those speeds on another cheaper brand before with no problem. *shrug :roll:

I'm due for tyres later this year. guess which ones I'm NOT buying :?

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » May 27th, 2012, 6:55 pm

have the dunlop direzza dz 101 n i must ... it it sheit. when driving and turnig the steering, car feels wobbly and its a nightmare in the wet/drizzle. goin back to my nexens or toyo...

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 28th, 2012, 8:52 am

a lil later on I would show u guys a real tyre.....

avinashr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby avinashr » May 28th, 2012, 9:22 am

geometron wrote:have the dunlop direzza dz 101 n i must ... it it sheit. when driving and turnig the steering, car feels wobbly and its a nightmare in the wet/drizzle. goin back to my nexens or toyo...

doh make dat mistake dan.. try kumho KH16.. i went to that from direzzas... and trust meh.. big difference!

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » May 28th, 2012, 9:25 am

avinashr wrote:
geometron wrote:have the dunlop direzza dz 101 n i must ... it it sheit. when driving and turnig the steering, car feels wobbly and its a nightmare in the wet/drizzle. goin back to my nexens or toyo...

doh make dat mistake dan.. try kumho KH16.. i went to that from direzzas... and trust meh.. big difference!

looking for something performance oriented but with a nice threading to avoid the same dotishness the direzzas giving meh. slipping like hell when a lil rain drizzle. scary.

KURMAman
Riding on 16's

Postby KURMAman » May 28th, 2012, 9:34 am

man going to buy nexens oui...nah hoss..kumhos or goodyear.. masterserv or AutoComponents have good stuff..lil pricey tho.

[X]~Outlaw
Riding on 16's

Postby [X]~Outlaw » May 28th, 2012, 10:02 am

Weekend I put on a set of Hankook Ventus V4 ES. Over the weekend I put about 300Km on them and they feel so good. They are quiet, smooth, comfortable, handles quite nicely on wet roads and are very firm in the corners. For the price of $858 for one I am very pleased thus far.

These are the tyres I have been through over the last eight years (220K km) and the issues I had with them.

Size 205/55/16

Nexen 2000 : No traction, very poor wet road performance, side wall as soft as marshmallows. I won't used Nexen again even if I got them for free.

Dunlop SP Sports : Noisy after about 30% of thread wear, no traction, harsh feel

Dunlop Direzzas 101: Noisy after about 30% of thread wear, harsh feel

Sumitomo HTR Z II: WORSE set of tyres I've ever used. I rank this right down there with the Nexen 2000's, but they are even worse than Nexen. So bad I won't even try the HTR III's even with the good reviews. Where do I start oh yes..they take a ton of weights to balance and throughout the life of the tyres frequent re balancing is needed. These were noisy from day 1, so noisy I thought I had bad wheel bearings which was not the case. Horrible traction, squishy in the corners and I can't even find the words to describe how harsh they felt! Oh and not to mention how much they tram line, you feel like the road is driving the car and you're just along for the ride.
Last edited by [X]~Outlaw on May 28th, 2012, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » May 28th, 2012, 10:08 am

hey n7000 werks jus fine eh. sailun issa good option tooo.

so gaiz, among the falken, toyo, hankook, michelin ultra performance liness...which 1 would you say gives the best wet/dry handling, cornering stability, grip and overall performance? ride comfort/noise isn't that much of a big deal

where sells eagle f1 asymmetric tyres or hankook ventus v12 btw?

avinashr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby avinashr » May 28th, 2012, 12:48 pm

really cah help u there nah dan...

nexens.. 2000 and 5000... had to buy a tire everytime i hit a pothole.. not nice..

i used sumitomos at one point.. was good. handling was nice.. i remember one time runnin thru flood at high speed... but.. the threads noisy...

then i used the direzzas as i said previously.. worked good initially and then popped down after like 3 months or somn...

now .. i am running kh16 kumhos... at first i was a bit sceptical.. but i got encouragement when the tyre shop owner told me that i finally bought good tyres.. even though i didnt buy them from him... grip is amazing... been 13 months... tyres on the verge of the end.. lol.. i used to leave moruga and head to POS at least 5 days a week for 8 months.. now its moruga to chaguanas.. threadware like 85%.. and once ever did i pick up a skid and that was because there was mud in the road..

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » May 28th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Don't have experience with the falken/hankook/, but out of the Michelin/Toyo/Bridgestone/Continental/BF Goodrich tires that I've used the Michelin PS2's are the best all rounders by far and performance is excellent. They'll cost you about 1.5x the price of other tires the same size though. Depends really on the size and model of tire you're talking about though. Each brand has a very wide variety, and not all will be good. What size are you running?

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » May 28th, 2012, 5:24 pm

so here's the deal...nowhere reputable in south has 205/40/r17 tyres... WTF maan??? fcuking trinidad is d worst fleckin pile of dump to live innn. M Mack, Tyre Center, L+De Gannes, M Ramrattan, Masterserv, Federal...NILLL! WTFFFF.

oh and to the jackarse of a lady wid the clown makeup @ Tyre Center, nex time yuh laughin @ me when i called and ask what performance tires you all have, is one jump kick in yuh muddacnut sagging bress.

so who cud say which part of tdad has those Hankook Ventus or Eagle F1 in 205/40/17???

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 28th, 2012, 7:45 pm

geometron, yuh greeeeeeeeeeen in this game hahaha
You think tyre easy to find jusso eh, you wish!

What is your pricerange? It is quite unlikely you will find what you are looking for in a high performance tyre anytime soon, and if you need it THAT badly you may be forced to custom order through a powerseller or mileage mack as I had to do recently..
Only place you will find the ventus is Tyre Center, only place you will find the GY Eagle F1 is ASL or Masterserv

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » May 28th, 2012, 9:27 pm

geometron wrote:oh and to the jackarse of a lady wid the clown makeup @ Tyre Center, nex time yuh laughin @ me when i called and ask what performance tires you all have, is one jump kick in yuh muddacnut sagging bress.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

Sorry but you made my night thetre geo, :lol:

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » May 29th, 2012, 12:29 am

so CD4.. where is ASL? contact #? what price u wud estimate them at when being ordered for M Mack or a powerseller?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”