Forums

tyres

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: tyres

Postby Chemical » January 29th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Finally got my Toyos back after 3 months of running the semi slick old ones, never bought the Maxxis, too expensive for something i didn't really want.

MM actually got them exactly when they said they would.

$790 a pop :| installed and balanced.

I could have gotten something else cheaper...but...well everything else is mostly crap in my size and for my driving style..

Kudos to the MM guys. They sorted me out quickly (2.5 hrs at MM is a good day) and the alignment guy was very thorough in his checks and put my camber where i wanted it. Most places argue with me on the -ve 1.1 camber.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but I'll give you my personal take on it.....had them on and was never impressed ($550/tire) bought 2009. When new it gives out a terribe scent like burning rubber however when it wears it gets very noisy. Does not cut water good at all (be very carefull) and your steering will be alot stiffer when moving from stand still (car parks etc.)

Dry traction is excellent however if these tires cut uneven for whatever reason be prepared to have alot of steering pull.

Just couldn't stand them anymore & traded then in @ MM and bought the Kumho's.

In my opinion the Kumho's are alot better than Toyo's...they are over rated in my opinion & for some reason its narrower than a std 205 tire.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » January 29th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Chemical wrote:Don't mean to burst your bubble but I'll give you my personal take on it.....had them on and was never impressed ($550/tire) bought 2009. When new it gives out a terribe scent like burning rubber however when it wears it gets very noisy. Does not cut water good at all (be very carefull) and your steering will be alot stiffer when moving from stand still (car parks etc.)

Dry traction is excellent however if these tires cut uneven for whatever reason be prepared to have alot of steering pull.

In my opinion the Kumho's are alot better than Toyo's...they are over rated in my opinion & for some reason its narrower than a std 205 tire.

Just came off a set of these after 2 years. Waited 3 months to get this set at MM and paid close to $800 each. They are that good.

I also bought mine in Dec 2009, paid $740 each then at MM. You sure this is the same tyre you got?

I have not experienced ANY of what you stated above except the excellent dry traction.

No hydroplaning unless at unreasonable speeds, best wet traction i have used (comparing to Dunlop, Sumitomo and Kumho on the same car previously), perfectly even cutting throughout, SLIGHTLY noisy when almost done, mine are new and there's no scent (neither on the old ones when they were new) excellent lateral traction, little ABS intervention compared to the others above.

Everyone's experience is different i suppose, but for me, i will never willingly buy another brand in this size.

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » January 29th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Chemical wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:Finally got my Toyos back after 3 months of running the semi slick old ones, never bought the Maxxis, too expensive for something i didn't really want.

MM actually got them exactly when they said they would.

$790 a pop :| installed and balanced.

I could have gotten something else cheaper...but...well everything else is mostly crap in my size and for my driving style..

Kudos to the MM guys. They sorted me out quickly (2.5 hrs at MM is a good day) and the alignment guy was very thorough in his checks and put my camber where i wanted it. Most places argue with me on the -ve 1.1 camber.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but I'll give you my personal take on it.....had them on and was never impressed ($550/tire) bought 2009. When new it gives out a terribe scent like burning rubber however when it wears it gets very noisy. Does not cut water good at all (be very carefull) and your steering will be alot stiffer when moving from stand still (car parks etc.)

i can agree with u on this! had on triangle 205 series as i got em when i bought my rims, lastd a yr+ til i decided i cudn't bear the thought of having an inferior tyre on my vehicle n i changed em to dunlop direzzas 205/40/zr17 . better rim protection but the side gradients are steeper > less footprint than the nexens/triangle.... same goes with the proxes. but the proxes r my next set in line :D

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » February 1st, 2012, 1:56 pm

dredman1 wrote:Well it turns out that L&DG not having any stock of the tire that I had my mind set on buying now that I am ready to buy (the Ecsta SPT) may have been a blessing in disguise.

After this I called Tyre Centre on Wrightson Rd. with no expectations yesterday to see if they by chance had the Hankook V12 Evo in my size. "Yes sir we do". I was shocked, because last year when I was buying tyres (after seeing posters and banners with it in their stores), I checked both branches for them and they just laughed saying that the posters were only a Hankook advertisement - they didn't actually have them.

I actually called the south branch on Monday this week and they said they had none in my size.

So I went today to buy them, and surprise, they were the correct tyre and in my size! I was half expecting a situation like Strugglerzinc mentioned above. Couldn't believe it, and I'm excited about the purchase. This tyre is actually the one I would have bought even if I had all the different tyre types available to me, because of this comparison test from C&D with it and 8 other performance "summer" tyres http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests - it came in 2nd place.

Will update the thread once they "break in" and I can give a proper review on them.

Im looking for these same tyres.

Tyre Center does not have any.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » February 1st, 2012, 6:46 pm

^thats the only ppl that stock them meng and they're as awesome as they say they are

that tyre is like gold!

EXODUS
punchin NOS

Postby EXODUS » February 1st, 2012, 6:56 pm

watz d prices like on the v12?

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 1st, 2012, 8:23 pm

^1100 for 225/45-17 last I checked.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » February 4th, 2012, 12:02 pm

DSM_05 wrote:^1100 for 225/45-17 last I checked.

gosh...when i get them at 800 a pop in 2010...tha was gold!

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » February 7th, 2012, 1:54 pm

silent_riot wrote:I'm having some difficulty locating a decent set of 225/35R20 tyres. Can anyone recommend a retailer? I searched the thread with no luck.

Every single dealer I called only has Nexen in this size. :lol: wtf.
Only one other dealer has Federal in that size. It seems I have no choice but to go with Nexens. *cringe*
I'll find out more about the Federal model and do some online research.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 7th, 2012, 8:45 pm

^^Federals are made in Taiwan...yes...but their CEO is the only tyre CEO to hold an FIA (or is it F1?) license (hmm)

Plus they're making a huge impact in racing in the US and UK parkets. The Federal 595RS-R is a popular tyre in the US Auto X scene.

I won't mind getting a set of 595/595 SS's....seem like decent performance for the price.

They have a new tyre out now - 595 Evo.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » February 8th, 2012, 10:48 am

^federal tyres are generally pretty awesome.....but they are noisy like a beyotch tho!

5forward
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 5forward » February 12th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Quick question: Is it my tyre's fault if the ABS is involved pretty easily?

syntax
3NE 2NR for life

Postby syntax » February 12th, 2012, 8:26 pm

wha brand tyres

5forward
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 5forward » February 12th, 2012, 8:27 pm

maxxis ma-p1

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 13th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Is it my tyre's fault if the ABS is involved pretty easily?

Could be, yes. If the tyres lose grip easily, then ABS will engage faster. In moving to a stickier tyre, you'd find that you can delay the onset of ABS a hint longer (of course the car will stop better in any case with the better tyres).

5forward
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 5forward » February 13th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Ok...can reducing tyre pressure help or do i just have to live with this?

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 14th, 2012, 7:33 am

Yes it can, but it's ultiamtely a function of tyre grip.

If you drive like a sane person...then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Assuming your tyres are close to OEM size, use the sticker on the inside of the driver's door as a guide as to what pressures you should run.

Most times it's around 28-30 psi.

5forward
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 5forward » February 14th, 2012, 9:23 am

The wheels are 15"...The tyre manufacturer and users recommend a slightly higher pressure than the average tyre so right now its somewhere between 31-32 psi,but i think im gona drop it to around 30-31...and the car isn't always driven sanely.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 14th, 2012, 2:06 pm

^Well then get better tyres, or take some meds for your "insanity-bouts" when driving.

Cuz MA-P1 MAxxis's aren't exactly the grippiest tyres around. Consider the MA-Z1 Maxxis or something else.

Nasrallah
Sweet on this forum

Postby Nasrallah » February 14th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Tyre Center

205 55 16 Hankook V4 ES H105@ $856.75 V.I

5forward
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 5forward » February 14th, 2012, 6:59 pm

DSM_05 wrote:^Well then get better tyres, or take some meds for your "insanity-bouts" when driving.

Cuz MA-P1 MAxxis's aren't exactly the grippiest tyres around. Consider the MA-Z1 Maxxis or something else.

^That tyre was my original choice.The store actually said that they have it in stock but it was a different story when i got to the place,but i needed tyres there and then...

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » February 18th, 2012, 12:16 pm

DSM_05 wrote:^^Federals are made in Taiwan...yes...but their CEO is the only tyre CEO to hold an FIA (or is it F1?) license (hmm)

Plus they're making a huge impact in racing in the US and UK parkets. The Federal 595RS-R is a popular tyre in the US Auto X scene.

I won't mind getting a set of 595/595 SS's....seem like decent performance for the price.

I bought the Federal Formoza FD2 225/35R20 for $1060 each at Tyre Clinic Couva.
I did see a 595 pattern tread tyre in their showroom though.

bushwakka wrote:^federal tyres are generally pretty awesome.....but they are noisy like a beyotch tho!

The FD2 looks like a quiet tyre from the tread design. I'll see how it performs.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » February 20th, 2012, 7:35 pm

silent_riot wrote:
DSM_05 wrote:^^Federals are made in Taiwan...yes...but their CEO is the only tyre CEO to hold an FIA (or is it F1?) license (hmm)

I bought the Federal Formoza FD2 225/35R20 for $1060 each at Tyre Clinic Couva.
I did see a 595 pattern tread tyre in their showroom though.

bushwakka wrote:^federal tyres are generally pretty awesome.....but they are noisy like a beyotch tho!

The FD2 looks like a quiet tyre from the tread design. I'll see how it performs.

how is the formoza? since u bought at tyre clinic...did u get expired tyres?
i considering going bk federal and takin de noise yes

sum ppl say its the tread design (traps air) causes the noise....i think its more related to the compound tho

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » February 21st, 2012, 10:03 am

The federals are November 2010s.
The tread design has a lot to do with noise - directional patterns tend to be noisy and asymmetric patterns do not, from my experience.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » February 21st, 2012, 11:42 am

Chemical wrote:Don't mean to burst your bubble but I'll give you my personal take on it.....had them on and was never impressed ($550/tire) bought 2009. When new it gives out a terribe scent like burning rubber however when it wears it gets very noisy. Does not cut water good at all (be very carefull) and your steering will be alot stiffer when moving from stand still (car parks etc.)

I ran the 13" version of these on a RWD car, and I was thoroughly impressed with the performance, in both dry and wet conditions
Having said that, you have to remember these are not high performance tyres...just H-rated, but the AA traction rating makes up for it to a certain extent
Of all the tyres I've tried on the car over the years, these Vimode tyres from toyo do the best job of managing the tail-happiness of the car

Even after a season and a half of dex and a degree negative camber, the wear was very even, with no increase in tyre noise

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 21st, 2012, 8:22 pm

^^Because those Proxes are the "regular" versions. Not sport tyres like the T1R or R1R (I'm assuming you're talking about the Toyo's when you said "these tyres").

That's why they're H rated and have decent treadlife (hardish compound).

The Proxes T1R's are sportier tyres with more grip....while still not being "race ready" compounds like the Proxes R888.

The T1R's however, don't have fantastic treadlife....but as with most things, you have to consider a tradeoff.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » February 22nd, 2012, 3:17 pm

^^^correct......grippy tyres are soft, so they can't last long

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » February 22nd, 2012, 8:22 pm

^^Well that USED to be the case...nowdays...wear and grip compromises aren't that clear cut anymore.

Most of the sport-oriented tyres have moved up from 140 and 180 tread to 240-300 treadwear ratings. Now I know treadwear isn't a "std" value....but it still means something!

Imagine the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo.....one step below the auto-x/dry weather Ventus RS-3....and the Evo is @ 280 tread. Potenza RE760 Sports rock a 340 tread :? .....so tech has certainly come a long way!

evolution91
Sweet on this forum

Postby evolution91 » February 25th, 2012, 12:25 pm

hey tuners i looking for somewhere to repair one my rim at an affordable price help meh out nah is just a small dent

THOMAS
Ricer

Postby THOMAS » February 26th, 2012, 7:11 am

A172 wrote:Nah my tuner used his 888's daily for the past year pumped to 35psi for everyday use and it only recently started slipping....for 2k a pair I think that's GREAT service. :)

Where did u get the R888 to buy?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”