TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Carbon Fiber!

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VK56DE

Carbon Fiber!

Postby VK56DE » December 16th, 2004, 10:08 pm

Hey most tuners know that carbon fiber is the best upgrade if you really serious about racing by going lightweight. But the problem is that there are only some carbon fiber parts available for today's cars unless you want a formula 1 Ferrari. Does anyone think that there will ever be a carbon fiber factory in trinidad or somebody who can make this material into what ever body part that we need it for . Well I do know that it is a long process to make but it might be worth it . It might be cheaper to buy a carbon hood or bumper for your honda civic , but think of a complete civic re-made from carbon fiber in Trinidad. Let's hear some of your views on this .

996vtwin
In Memory of George Aboud Jr.

Postby 996vtwin » December 16th, 2004, 10:44 pm

Once you have the molds and depending on what you are making carbon fiber is quite easy to make, similiar to fibre glass.

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » December 16th, 2004, 11:32 pm

Carbon fiber, i been hearing about it but did not pay much attention untill i saw a carbon fiber bonnet. It would be good if there was a factory that does make the carbon fiber..I like some parts carbon fiber not the whole car.So i am for it

Toysport
Sweet on this forum

Postby Toysport » December 16th, 2004, 11:52 pm

996vtwin wrote:Once you have the molds and depending on what you are making carbon fiber is quite easy to make, similiar to fibre glass.

That's the cheap way...to get a strong carbon fibre part, you lay down the cloth and vacuum impregnate it with the resin. The part is then autoclaved. This gives you the nice flowing pattern usually associated with carbon fibre as brushing on the resin causes the cloth to wrinkle and not be as strong. This process is expensive.

EdVedder
Riding on 18's

Postby EdVedder » December 17th, 2004, 1:13 am

i gots carbon fiber parts readily available, may be cheaper to buy it rather than make it an ur sure to get quality

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » December 17th, 2004, 2:13 am

or u could use carbon fibre vinyl... if yuh want to RICE it!!! :lol:

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 17th, 2004, 10:18 am

Doesn't vacuum bagging also make it lighter because excess resin is removed?

Rallyfignis
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rallyfignis » December 17th, 2004, 12:05 pm

^^^Sounds like a logical and acurate assumption to me :idea:

Spyrogyra
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Spyrogyra » December 20th, 2004, 8:43 am

what about if the part gets damaged, won't you have to replace the whole thing ?

Raziel
Trinituner Peong

Postby Raziel » December 20th, 2004, 12:34 pm

Toysport wrote:
996vtwin wrote:Once you have the molds and depending on what you are making carbon fiber is quite easy to make, similiar to fibre glass.

That's the cheap way...to get a strong carbon fibre part, you lay down the cloth and vacuum impregnate it with the resin. The part is then autoclaved. This gives you the nice flowing pattern usually associated with carbon fibre as brushing on the resin causes the cloth to wrinkle and not be as strong. This process is expensive.

This is true, I actually think there is a little more to the process as well ... guess it depends on if you want "rice" CF or real, strong, lightweight, racing CF.

sleepertercel
Trinituner Peong

Postby sleepertercel » December 22nd, 2004, 8:40 pm

^^jeddo doh study dem men sum black paint on yuh bonnet an yuh take off all de weight :lol: :lol: :lol:

VK56DE

Postby VK56DE » December 23rd, 2004, 1:51 am

^^ painting your bonnet black go look nice 8) but you go have to remove all them brace and thing below and then you will have to put on hoodpins.Dont you think having a strong bonnet with a nice look of weaves look good and perform better.It might be the first step to be getting like Schumacher :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”