Infor on short shifters

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

plex
punchin NOS

Infor on short shifters

Postby plex » January 16th, 2005, 11:08 pm

Short Shifters- i learn something today

Has nothing to do with the horsepower, as the name says. Imagine your original gear level is in neutral and you pushed the gear lever forward to 1st gear. How many centimeters did the gear lever travel? 8 cm? 10 cm? It must be something like that.

The problem will be much noticed when changing gear from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to 4th. This is because the travel distance doubles and you pull the gear lever about 16-20 centimeters just for changing from one gear to another. A quick shift fitment will reduce this distance to about half of the original.

The distance given above may be different on your short shifter if it is nonadjustable, but most short shifters are adjustable, which means they come with different holes to adjust the travel distance.

This is what you get...

At first, you will feel that it's a little bit weird to have a quick shift because you will need time to get use to the closer positions of the gears, but

you will have reduced mis-shifts, will shift faster than before and this will give you a true race car feel.

Open to suggestions here......

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » January 16th, 2005, 11:19 pm

i'll say this first, i dunno ANYTHING bout short shifters.
so from wat u said, here's my question;
short shifters are for auto or manual?
and how would it reduce mis-shifts?

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » January 16th, 2005, 11:50 pm

Only for manual cars.
To answer your second question . Still doing some research on this. Cause i did wonder about the mis-shifts??? But thats what the infor says...If i get i post it.

4G63Turbo
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 4G63Turbo » January 17th, 2005, 10:31 am

heard about fellas just shortening the lever,
does that work as well :?:

sr18 Primera
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sr18 Primera » January 17th, 2005, 11:59 am

shortening the lever would make the throw longer.

Short throw shifters actually makes it easyer to mis-shift but a wieghted shift knob usually helps.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2005, 12:58 pm

Do not shortcut on your short throw shifter get a good shifter like the B&M short throw. It feels like a dream, shifts are exact and quick for faster shifts. I am sure it will reduce your time and reduce mis-shifts on the track.

4G63Turbo
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby 4G63Turbo » January 17th, 2005, 1:02 pm

was going to shorten the thing but thinking otherwise now.

anyone here has this on their RB20DET box?
what kind of reviews.

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » January 17th, 2005, 2:21 pm

I looking for one for my FWD SR20 box, anyone?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2005, 3:49 pm

I brought mine in and installed it and it works sweet.

cdx2k1
Riding on 17's

Postby cdx2k1 » January 17th, 2005, 5:10 pm

How come?What is the 'throw'?If it is what i think it is then then it would make shifts shorter since the stick is shorter.

sr18 Primera
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sr18 Primera » January 17th, 2005, 5:58 pm

cdx2k1 wrote:

How come?What is the 'throw'?If it is what i think it is then then it would make shifts shorter since the stick is shorter.

Just thought about it again and u're right. But you would think there is a reason why most aftermarket short throw shifters are stock height.

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » January 17th, 2005, 6:11 pm

i hear these short shifters works like a dream...

cdx2k1
Riding on 17's

Postby cdx2k1 » January 17th, 2005, 6:21 pm

Just thought about it again and u're right. But you would think there is a reason why most aftermarket short throw shifters are stock height.

They are??So what is "shorter" then?

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » January 17th, 2005, 6:47 pm

anybody see any cons of installing these short shifters??
like faster wear & tear etc..

andre2178

Postby andre2178 » January 17th, 2005, 6:48 pm

no cons dummy just a quick ratio

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » January 17th, 2005, 6:53 pm

andre2178 wrote:no cons dummy just a quick ratio

i see....

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » January 18th, 2005, 6:42 pm

they work real good :D :D :D alot shorter throw so gears go in faster :D

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » January 18th, 2005, 7:50 pm

it is a pity does not apply to automatic transmission..

edelbrock
Ricer

Postby edelbrock » February 8th, 2005, 5:35 pm

Have installed quite a few aftermarket short shifters and prior to that shortened a few of my own. There's a difference.....
A shifter is basically a lever. Lets just think of it as a straight bar for simplicity, with a fixed pivot point (that is height adjustable in some cases). The top end has the knob and the other end actuates linkage inside or outside gearboxes.

The old (and I hope old) practice of cutting the top part of the shifter to drop the knob height does reduce throw distance. [Hold your pen in your hand and rock it slowly....The top of the pen travels a longer dstance than 1 inch lower doesn't it?]
What happens though is that the effort to shift is increased.
Aftermarket shifters lengthen the distance between the pivot point and the lower end or linkage end. This achieves the same shorter throw with the factory knob height. Again, more effort is required but less compared to the "drop the knob" method.
As long as your gearbox is in good working condition the increased effort required is nothing for the average man to whimper about.

The pros in my opinion are definitely shorter throws, and quicker shifting resulting in quicker et's. There's also the added visual appeal.

The cons are only verrryyy slightly more effort required. Incidentally This is only really noticeable when trying to get the gears out of position. Once the shifter is moving, it feels almost the same as the factory unit in terms of effort required.
You also will not be able to reliably tell which gear you are in by looking at the knob position like you used to before.

Since more effort is being put into the system with the same size contact areas at the pivot and linkage end, it is reasonable to assume more wear. In the few years that I have had them however, I don't foresee that a properly installed and well lubricated shifter should give any trouble.

For only a couple hundred dollars for a brand new one, there are very few modifications you can perform with that kind of money that WILL reduce your quarter mile time guaranteed. With a little practice you can change gear from 3rd to 4th and rpm will fall by only 200 rpm..yes that's 2 hundred..and easily too.

horsepwrjunki
punchin NOS

Postby horsepwrjunki » February 8th, 2005, 7:23 pm

hmmm.. my fwd lancer came with oe of these stock.. worked like a beauty..cept that forkin first gear cept moving aroung..well acutal that had more to do with the angle of teh bracket holding the linkages in side the engine compartment.. was sorted out with an new cable.. and an big stone.. i shiet u not

NickJr.
punchin NOS
Location: The Finish Line. So Elusive For Something That Never Moves

Postby NickJr. » February 9th, 2005, 11:30 am

edelbrok have it correct there, the best way to see the difference is to put a stock shifter and a short shifter together and you'll see the difference in lengths on either side of the pivot point.

edelbrock
Ricer

Postby edelbrock » February 9th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Oh there's one other advantage to having a short shifter that I've found.....When your girlfriend (or she best friend) want to hold your hand while you drive (This can occur with the overly sensitive women), with a normal shifter, you all over the place and it's a bit uncomfortable. With a short shifter now, your hands don't move around as much so she can enjoy holding your hand.

All the while you wondering, what the heck she want to hold hands for???? This woman can't see ah man trying to keep two tons of metal and 325Hp on the road? :?

Not exactly automotive forum material I realize but good to know none the less. I suspect that there are fellas who like their woman to hold their hand when they drive. Me...I find If she really want to hold on to something, it have other things she could grab on too. :twisted:

horsepwrjunki
punchin NOS

Postby horsepwrjunki » February 9th, 2005, 6:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: .. yep thats true... been there... :lol:

HondaB20B
punchin NOS

Postby HondaB20B » February 9th, 2005, 7:17 pm

edelbrock, you aint easy nah
PM me your contact #

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”