AE-92 Rear Disk Conversion

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

AE-92 Rear Disk Conversion

Postby Corollaman » January 22nd, 2005, 9:00 pm

Greetings tuners!

Now that ah goin a little faster, I have decided to upgrade the brakes of the trusty corolla. Can anyone who has done a rear disk conversion on an ae-92 (or ae 101) corolla guide me along?

THinking about getting larger sized rotors for the front as well. But i dont want to put anything larger than 14" rims on the car.

Please tell me exactly what i have to buy, where to buy it and recommend someone to do the work for me.

Anyone has anything for sale that I would need?

thanks
Avin.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 23rd, 2005, 2:23 am

^^^ glad to know ur swap performing man 8)
but what I wanna know is if the AE92 rear disc set-up will work on the EE80...

cuz right now both bearings are shot to hell and instead of paying $300-$400 per side, I'm considering just going rear disc and done

Avin, if it'll work on mine please holla back where and now much u got urs for iite...tnx bro

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 23rd, 2005, 2:34 am

Well boy hook, whatever info i get i will pass it on!

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 24th, 2005, 4:09 am

Come on, someone has got to have done this already. Give a tuner ah lil help nuh :)

blu-rolla
Sweet on this forum
Location: either in sando, or sneakin out yuh back door as you reach home.

Postby blu-rolla » January 24th, 2005, 5:40 pm

just go to the bamboo and ask for rear disks to fit the AE90. start on one end, and doh stop till yuh reach de other end.
doh think ah not helpin, but its just as simple as that. no major conversions, yuh just need to fkin find de parts first.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 24th, 2005, 6:28 pm

^^^ erm, that not helpin bro

cuz personally, I not going to go hunting for parts when I don't know if it's available or what could be substituted (if only ah had ah dollar for every time ah get blank as soon as ah mention EE80..I'd buy me a subie, cash!)

it would be nice to know what can and can't work so we know what not to ask for, cuz yuh really doh wanna be combing de bamboo askin for parts u know little about...thas why we arxin these certain questions

"has anybody done it before?"
"what's needed and are the parts readily available...if not, what could work in it's place?"
"what's a ball-park figure for the cost of all this?"

pbf1940
3NE 2NR for life

Postby pbf1940 » January 24th, 2005, 9:40 pm

it took me 3 years to find mine.
once you do COROLLAMAN any mechanic could do the conversion.

as for HOOK the AE91 discs will fit I think I saw that in the TOYOTA thread

but there is a lot of truth to what BLU said you have to pound pavement yuh tink walking from the highway to inside by KUNTA and RYAN easy and I did that like 4 times in one weekend

NickJr.
punchin NOS
Location: The Finish Line. So Elusive For Something That Never Moves

Postby NickJr. » January 24th, 2005, 11:39 pm

Now I might be wrong but rear disks only come on the Levin AE92 and 101. It's a straight forward conversion really, disconnect the brake lines and remove the hub from the shocks and put on the new rotors and do yuh plumbing; bleed the brakes and yuh good to go. :mrgreen:

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 25th, 2005, 6:55 pm

So, what parts exactly do i need?

Rotors.
Brake lines
Hub??

Do i need a new proportioning valve??

ray2cool
Street 2NR

rear disk

Postby ray2cool » January 25th, 2005, 9:30 pm

I have rear disk on my ae-90. I get the brakes from seenath for $900 a pair. It fit in the corolla with any modifications. To Make the brakes work good you have to change the booster as well since the disk brakes at the rare reqiure a bigger force. Also check your proportional valve is see if you are getting the required pressure at the rear. Change the brakes lines as well since a greater force is being applied. You might want to change your shocks as well. I have the monro gas shocks they can take the pressure. The fella who do the job for me garage right on the same road by seenath. If you doing the front change the bearing one time. and change your rubbers on the velocity joint one time. It have the bigger ventalated rotor which i have also . A 13' rim will not fit you have to go size 14 and up. what engine you running? I have the 4age 20 valve. You must have good bakes to stop this engine other wise you will kill your self and other people.

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 25th, 2005, 11:03 pm

Okay, ray2cool i have a couple questions.....

1. Is it totally necessary to change the brake booster? What kinda car did you get your brake booster from?

2. Is the proportioning valve adjustable? How did you ensure that your rear disks didn't lock up before your front?

3. Why do i need to change my shocks? I am running a 5A-FE, it peppy but corollas came stock with this engine and rear drums. I doing this swap to increase my braking power yes, but is more a learning experience than anything else.

4. WHERE did you get your HANDBRAKE cables from??

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 26th, 2005, 12:34 am

Hmmm, when i get this done I'm going to take some pictures of it and make a write up. Will submit to the shop section.....

sleepertercel
Trinituner Peong

Postby sleepertercel » January 26th, 2005, 12:05 pm

^^^Any luck finding dem parts yet??

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 26th, 2005, 4:29 pm

^^^ lol..gi de man a few days to start nuh

I beatin de bamboo Saturday morning for dem tings...Avin, flash mih yuh digits if yuh wanna make dah run too

pbf1940
3NE 2NR for life

Postby pbf1940 » January 26th, 2005, 5:33 pm

I paid 300 for my pasir and ah get them with cables :lol:

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 26th, 2005, 7:52 pm

PLOI!!!

jus say where bruddaman!

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 26th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Hook, -
Check your pm
Last edited by Corollaman on January 26th, 2005, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » January 26th, 2005, 11:09 pm

I will check with my partner who did the change on his 101 and see if he needed to change the booster... but I doubt he did

Corollaman
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Corollaman » January 26th, 2005, 11:13 pm

^^ Thanks man

blu-rolla
Sweet on this forum
Location: either in sando, or sneakin out yuh back door as you reach home.

Postby blu-rolla » January 27th, 2005, 12:00 pm

^^^ erm, that not helpin bro

like I said, iz dat simple. at least for the ae90. dont know bout de EE(?)80. if yuh find somebody who have for the corolla, find out if it will fit on the 80. if it wont, ask them to show you what exactly iz different. some items can be modified, some cant. would depend on how different it iz. I had to modify the connecting arms to work it on the 101.
I wasn't gonna pass up rear disks for sumfin as simple as that. I mean,....whats tha worst that could happen? :roll:

allyah need to realize, when I talk, doh question. just do it.
as meh padna Peter does say,
"if I tell yuh ah mouse could pull ah house,.........BRING FKIN ROPE."

SILENCE, the bald one has spoken.

ray2cool
Street 2NR

Postby ray2cool » January 27th, 2005, 5:58 pm

The every thing on my ae 90 came for the toyota levin
the booster, the engine, mount, axles.The hand brakes don't have to change the cable bolt right on. The reason why i changes the booster was because the rubbers in the master cylinder turn the brake fluid black rather than change them i get another on at about the same price. the proportion valve cannot be adjusted that just applies more pressure to the front brakes than the rear brakes. The reason i am telling you this in because mine was cloged with the black brake fluid. Changing the shocks to gas shocks will help smooth the ride, reduce swaying because it stiffer. handle the rock back when you acclerating hard and keep the tyre on the road when you skidding them. Also use front strut bars they have them selling in autovillage in el socoro. That does stablize the car around corners. With the rear brakes you get twice the braking power. but It is easy the skid in the wet. I learn that the hard way when i bounce a man car in the wet.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 28th, 2005, 3:46 am

blu-rolla, ah hear yuh loud and clear..but like ah say, I eh goin hunting fuh nuttin ah knows little to nothing about..hence the questions

also, it have certain ppl who believe that ah ole car will ALWAYS be ah ole car an dey eh doin nuttin to help a bruddaman build from scratch (I encounter MANY on here in my short stint..ppl who feel only real cars have PB* plates)..das why ah tired get blank when ah mention EE80 and ah eh expectin no kinda advice on what to do wid mih brakes when ah hit d Bamboo on Saturday

so ah relying on mih 2nr family to guide mih as to what ah need for this upgrade

EE80 means E-series chassis (like the AE80) but E-series engine (unlike the AE80), in my case it was a 3E..now there are plans to do a swap l8r this year but I'm not decided on which way to go (4E-FTE or 16V 4A-GE...20V is out of the question for me)
until then, I'm trying to find out as much as possible about suspension and brake upgrades fuh mih lil ole car....

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » January 28th, 2005, 12:11 pm

Hook as you say yuh car is an old series so it's a lot of trial and error for you with respect to suspension and brake upgrades. With regards to rear disks it should be the same for you.... SHOULD!!! where by get the rear disk from a levin, try the AE92 or AE101, 111 versions. The best way to see which one will work will to be to see if your shocks are the same, as the rear disk assembly will be attached to them. If that works you should upgrade the booster or just get a proportioning valve to boost the pressure to the back. If anything else comes to mind I will let you know, give DNick a call he might have some info for you on that also.

Corollaman I eh forget you, I just eh get through to mih partner as yet, hopefully by tonight as it's friday

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 31st, 2005, 4:15 am

NickJr., I trying to call ur brother off and on fuh weeks now and only once he reply a nonsense txt ah sent him last week...I'll still try tho

but, I was on de Bamboo Saturday and tho I didn't find anything, it was explained to me that the rear discs on the AE9* isn't compatible with an AE8* anyway and that I would have to change my control arm setup to accomodate the upgrade...which is a lot of stress to get all the parts for that
HOWEVER, the AE82 models that came 4A-GE have rear disc setups and it's a direct swap for my EE80...

now I have a better idea what I'm looking for

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » January 31st, 2005, 2:31 pm

Good luck in finding that!!!! You will have to search the internet for that one

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » January 31st, 2005, 10:26 pm

well now I'm confused outta my fcukin mind dread!!!!

today, bonx up a fella with rear discs on his AE80...he said it was from the AE92 and that it was a direct swap (no long stories about control arms and sheit) and that the only difference was the handbrake cables which comes with the set when u find it anyway

he said the other fella was quite right about the AE82 rear discs but that the're all the same and that the only difference may be rotor size for the different models but the AE92 rear discs are a direct swap

right now, I doh know who to take guidance from on this project *stewpsss*

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » January 31st, 2005, 10:36 pm

:? That sound about right yes... but the best way is to get hold of a back disk and put it up on your car and see if it works yes. I eh know what else to tell you... yuh could probably check the fellas on this site, www.club4ag.com join their formums and ask around

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » February 1st, 2005, 2:07 am

ok spoke to my partner, he said he changed both front and back rotors but kept the booster. He says you can use the calipers from the Ceres, Levin, Moreno any of the AE chasis code cars. He says the calipers part code is V22 and everything changes over bolt for bolt. Even though the rotors are bigger you can use the normal pads. He says that you can check Navin or in the bamboo after boss on the right (Mahadeo's) He says they have it.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”