Forums

Help....engine noise!!!

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Xman
Sweet on this forum

Help....engine noise!!!

Postby Xman » February 10th, 2005, 12:19 pm

I was driving yesterday...faster than normal about 140 KM (i know that slow for some of u)....but when I stopped at a traffic light..I heard a slight knockin noise. It seemed to be coming from under the bunnet.

When I drive a little it still knocks but stop.

This morning when I started it knocked a little and stopped (at idle).

When i accelerated it knocks a little and stopped.

When it is not makin noise at idle...i mash the brakes and then slightly mash the accelerator it knocks a little.

Its a 5efe, corolla engine, 1.5 DOHC.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » February 10th, 2005, 12:59 pm

ohhhhhhhhhhh, sounds like your spinning a bearing! THAT SUCKS! If i were you, dont drive it hard again until you plan what you're doing(rebuilding with new bearings, might need oversized and maybe a rod incase it is damaged, not likely tho....OR get an entire shortblock, which is the bottom half of the engine with pistons, rods, crank etc.) If you drive it hard with this knock, it can make a constant knock and wont stop again, and the car might kinda jerk and stuff.

cause - oil pressure maybe dropped, it is low....

cheese pie
punchin NOS

Postby cheese pie » February 10th, 2005, 1:24 pm

first thing before men scare u with worn bearings all kina stuff

u check the oil level ?

some times my car after ah really hard run consumes more oil than usual and i get that little knock at idle after i start on mornings , this happed just before the check oil light comes on

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » February 10th, 2005, 2:44 pm

i changed oil before and did proper with the slight knock only heard in mornings at idle for a few seconds and still bearing spin....

Xman
Sweet on this forum

Postby Xman » February 10th, 2005, 3:22 pm

I checked the oil....its low...I am goin to top it up jus now. But the level is like a little more than 3/4....would that be causing the noise.

Another thing the spark plugs I have is one year old this month...its original from Toyota Trinidad & Tobago LTD. Its supposed to be good for one year. But in dat yeah I did a hell of a lot of driving.

I was reviewing and someone said...that they had the same exact problem...so they felt the outside of all plugs and found that one was vibrating alot....when they took out the plug the pin almost vanished now....I just went and bought new ones at TTTL...i will have to get them put in an update u.

but the spark plug things sounding possible???

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » February 10th, 2005, 7:05 pm

maybe, check easy things first

cheese pie
punchin NOS

Postby cheese pie » February 10th, 2005, 9:08 pm

but the spark plug things sounding possible???

may be if it was the wrong plug and it was too low in the combustion chamber so it was hitting the top of the pistion , dunno , never had that problem personally but heard of it ,

when it happed to my friends accent ( u know how hyundai ppl improvise) it only happed at higher rpm

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » February 10th, 2005, 10:11 pm

well, if this helps, i'll explain how mines happened....

one day i was driving, oil was low, not too low, but i consider little ting under the mark low.....now i mash the pedal halfway and it reaches boost at about 0.3kg/cm3 and i hear a knock knock knock slight and i release, driving normal etc....went to my mechanic, he checked it, thought it was a bearing but was'nt constant so he tell me come morning to change oiil and add and additive named "Protech" which he thought somewhere was scorched and that should over time restore it and stop the noise....well driving normal and ting for a week now, and now over 3000rpm the knock is hearable more and more and as i rev over 2000rpm, the more higher the rpm raises the faster the knock goes....one day by mistake i just testing out the automatic transmission manually by going on L, then 2 and D....and instead of D, it went on Neutral by mistake and it rev to about 6500RPM and then the knock was constant and slight this time at 1500rpm and up....so i went by mechanic, checked it, he was'nt there, i coming home, and as i reach home, the car kinda jerking back and then all i hearing at idle and ting while on drive without mashing gas, KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK nonstop...come home, could drive it but jerking, nonstop knocking, even when i start....

they check it, and when they open up, bearing spin out.....also before, as you said, the plugs, one of my plugs was bad and giving me a miss like before any knock at 2500-3000rpm....and i did injector clean out thinking it was that...nope, still miss a bit.....then i sya i go change plugs but never get chance to....so i watching and from the radiator going back, the engine open nah, 4th piston, i watch it....i push it, and then ting drop down easy :shock: :shock: it was that bearing and rod gone thru....

so i kinda guessing it was cause of non synthetic oil that was 1 month overdue changing and bad plug....

i get a shortblock, changing plugs one time, and checking everything, oil pressure gauge going in, etc to make sure nothing wrong again.

Xman
Sweet on this forum

Postby Xman » February 11th, 2005, 11:23 am

Well i don't get the slight knock over 30/40 km (don't have a rev meter). The car starts up good...no noise..... when i drive of then u hear the slight tapping.you actually have to send up the windows to hear it good.....

In any case who is VERY reputable on toyota engines (not toyota Ltd please...i will have to sell my house)

seanf3000
18 pounds of Boost

Postby seanf3000 » February 11th, 2005, 12:18 pm

xman....sent u pm

Xman
Sweet on this forum

Postby Xman » February 14th, 2005, 11:54 am

Well my mechanic figured it out :oops: I did a boo boo.....The original air filter setup had an attachment for this selonoid valve that supposed to take exhaust fumes back to the engine to burn unburnt hydrocarbons. The short ram did not have any attachment for this selonoid valve.....so instead of leaving it hanging in the engine I strapped it to the air condition line. APPARENTLY this valves opens and closes thus going "tock""tock""tock""tock".

And being attached to the aircondition line it reverberates throughout the car.... :oops:

Thats the last time I try anything one my own....lil thing and I screw it up....

Anyhow thaks for the responses and OH yes Team H2O my mechanic says yeah a spun bearing would sound similar....but that was not it THANK GOD

Sean I saved the number so I'll go by him for any serious problems...thanks

cheese pie
punchin NOS

Postby cheese pie » February 14th, 2005, 12:44 pm

Thats the last time I try anything one my own....lil thing and I screw it up....

thats the fun in it meng , dont let this stop u at all , mod away 8)

Xman
Sweet on this forum

re

Postby Xman » February 14th, 2005, 1:57 pm

Yeah ah feel so :D :D :D Its better to try and fail than to never try ent!!!

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » February 14th, 2005, 3:48 pm

^^^good to know that yuh sorted out 8)

cheese pie
punchin NOS

Postby cheese pie » February 14th, 2005, 3:50 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^yup 8)

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » February 14th, 2005, 6:02 pm

thats good to hear! bearing spinning is trouble :cry: