Forums

wiring a normally closed circuit for car door

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

wiring a normally closed circuit for car door

Postby Hibrydsoul » November 8th, 2014, 11:00 pm

So I've wired in a GPS tracker in a friend's car and encountered that the door sensor has only one wire as opposed to older model cars that have two wires. So part of the mechanism for the GPS and most alarms is to be wired to two wires one signaling when the door is closed and the other wire signals when the door is opened. So I figured I would wire the GPS door wiring to his alarm only to realize that only the green (-) wire was wired and the purple (+) was condemned. So it got me thinking to use the same single wire that indicates when the door is open and use it as lead for a 5 pin relay and wire it normally close and condemn the 87 terminal making the GPS think that the circuit for the door is complete when the door is both closed and open and not just opened alone. What are your thoughts?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: wiring a normally closed circuit for car door

Postby skylinechild » November 10th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Hibrydsoul wrote:So I've wired in a GPS tracker in a friend's car and encountered that the door sensor has only one wire as opposed to older model cars that have two wires. So part of the mechanism for the GPS and most alarms is to be wired to two wires one signaling when the door is closed and the other wire signals when the door is opened. So I figured I would wire the GPS door wiring to his alarm only to realize that only the green (-) wire was wired and the purple (+) was condemned. So it got me thinking to use the same single wire that indicates when the door is open and use it as lead for a 5 pin relay and wire it normally close and condemn the 87 terminal making the GPS think that the circuit for the door is complete when the door is both closed and open and not just opened alone. What are your thoughts?

the newer cars carry one wire - a +ve wire it takes the body as ground - via the screw that secures the switch in place.

for newer cars - it doesn't need to have 2 separate wires indicating when the door is closed or when its open as when its open the circuit is broken ( remember its a series circuit - including the trunk- and possibly the bonnet)

when the circuit is broken ie any door is open - doesn't matter which door- the alarm wont engage or if engaged the alarm will trip- again doesn't matter which door.

if I read you correctly you want to install a relay to make the GPS think the door is closed- no matter the physical position of the door - open or closed.???

It should work but then the GPS would think all doors are always closed - and then youre only relying on the alarm to disable the vehicle. provided that the GPS unit is wired to provide that feature as well.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » November 10th, 2014, 2:19 pm

No the GPS has two wires, one for when the door is open and one for when the door is closed. It's the same as the viper alarm as well. On my b14 there's two wires coming from the door. One sends signal when the door is open and the other sends signal when its closed. So I was thinking to make the GPS think the door is closed to wire a normally closed relay and use the wire that signals when the door is open as lead so when the door is closed and the lead cuts power would be sent to the wire that signals when the door is closed to the GPS tracker.

gundeleroy2k
3NE 2NR for life

Postby gundeleroy2k » October 3rd, 2016, 7:19 pm

What brand gps

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”