TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK b14 turbo

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nicko
Ricer

WTK b14 turbo

Postby nicko » May 23rd, 2013, 10:27 pm

hey tuners i have a b14 with a ga15 and was considering to turbo it ........ is it possible and does it make sense at all ?

N.F.S
Street 2NR

Re: WTK b14 turbo

Postby N.F.S » May 23rd, 2013, 10:59 pm

yep it works gr8 wen turbo have 1 to sell ....

nicko
Ricer

Postby nicko » May 23rd, 2013, 11:06 pm

ok but what is the cost associated with doing this mod or what else could i do to get a sum performance out of my engine ?

N.F.S
Street 2NR

Postby N.F.S » May 23rd, 2013, 11:29 pm

Hmnmmn the cost would be like 5000 and more to turbo depends on how much boost u want
or i tink u can just boost up the engine

nicko
Ricer

Postby nicko » May 24th, 2013, 6:43 am

ok as yu can tell im new to this what do yu mean boost up the engine like with what upgrades ? and which ill get mre bang for my $$?

N.F.S
Street 2NR

Postby N.F.S » May 24th, 2013, 8:19 am

lol boost means to turbo it but depends on how much boost see the money costing to much but wen i did mine i didnt bother with it but with that 5000 to turbo it, u can get a sr or rb for that same price turbo already

turbosingh
punchin NOS

Postby turbosingh » May 24th, 2013, 8:38 am

OP my advice is dont do it, if you are goin to spend around $5000 to turbocharge a Ga15 an get crappy hp then sell the Ga15 an use that money towards a Sr20 motor!

N.F.S
Street 2NR

Postby N.F.S » May 24th, 2013, 1:24 pm

i agree!!!

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » May 24th, 2013, 1:54 pm

INHO GA15DE is a great platform to turbocharge, they have huge piston ring lands as compared to the SR20 motors. I would suggest a decent sized turbo e.g. TD04 or a T25. Some supporting mods will be welding and fabricating of the manifold, larger injectors, intercooler, piping, BOV, and last but not least a piggy back or some sort of fuel ignition control system to adjust the timing and fuel.

Some reasons to go GA rather that SR would be the cost of a conversion, you will need a tranny or gearbox if going SR20DET, also mods to fabricate mounts as well as well electrical to rewire to your car.

Some reasons to go SR rather than GA would be if you wanna go all out on your car and you have the money to invest to go all out maybe with a SR20DET and u looking for alot more power/torque and you are willing to go through the conversion costs etc.

So basically it all boils down to your budget, if you just wanna feel a lil boost for your personal use go with the GA, if you wanna go all out on your car and can afford to foot some decent mechanical bills go with the SR 8-)

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 24th, 2013, 3:32 pm

NXTREME wrote:Some reasons to go GA rather that SR would be the cost of a conversion, you will need a tranny or gearbox if going SR20DET, also mods to fabricate mounts as well as well electrical to rewire to your car.

cheaper than boosting the GA.

without internal work, best yield would be around 120-150hp. SR20DE puts out 140-160hp.
was not aware there was a difference between SR20DE and SR20DET mounts, and SR20DE mounts work bolt for bolt in stock GA chassis.

IMO simply slapping on a turbo (6psi or thereabouts) on a GA is creating a timebomb, with smaller yields than an SR swap. but what do i know, i real content these days with my 77whp.

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » May 25th, 2013, 5:25 am

Fisrtly a properly tuned GA15 turbo will outperform a SR20de because boost gives 100% volmetric efficiency into the combustion chamber therefore delivering a better powerband. The ga can take up to 15-20 psi boost with proper tuning just ask GA15DE-T on the forums.

Secondly the SR20det mounts are not a bolt for bolt fit. You will have to modify the front crossmember mount. Also a small spline box doesnt make any sense you will need the big spline box where you will have to fabricate a mount as well as change wheel spindles to accomodate the larger axles.

Sent from my GT-S5830L using TriniTuner mobile app

nismaniac
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nismaniac » May 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm

I know someone with a boosted qg15 and it runs like hell and he has no management at all works fine. He uses this car everyday and he has put in turbo about 4 yrs now. Still though you wont be able to run a non turbo sr20. If it were me I would go with sr20 or det if you can afford it.

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » May 31st, 2013, 5:29 pm

Properly tuned SR20,SR NEO VVL,SR20DET or SR20 DE-T, best value for money...

Sent from my iPhone using TriniTuner mobile app

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » June 2nd, 2013, 7:37 am

yuh leave out the sr20ve-t ^ :mrgreen:

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 2nd, 2013, 7:48 am

Wey dawgy... How could i have forgotten the VE-T. For the record the VE-T is the ultimate upgrade of them all. Congrats on ur build and numbers Terrence.

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » June 2nd, 2013, 8:51 am

thanks but it eh all that compared to the other vet monsters out there. how your DE-t project going?

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 2nd, 2013, 9:04 am

Coming along slowly but surely. Gonna tune it in the up coming week or so. Get the 7psi to be 110% efficient. And then start my list of the parts for a VE head swap and water meth. That is my goal right now. And it might very well be the last ill do to my car. :) I getting old now. Time for the youths to take over. ;)

monstar
Riding on 13's

Postby monstar » June 8th, 2013, 5:25 pm

yo try it. i turbo my ga15 an it out performed a sr20 det auto and a rb20 det auto on 8lb and its reallllly fun 2drive but i agree if you have d $ go sr

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 8th, 2013, 6:30 pm

^ how was that proven? On the dyno or street race or drag race? U jus can't say that it 'out performed' another car. The ONLY way to really know the true power it makes is on a dyno. With that bring said , the cost factor and parts that is gonna be used to turbo the OP engine, the SR2O will outweigh in both cases! Jus my $0.02

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 9th, 2013, 11:36 am

doesn't matter the dyno figures due to the weight of the vehichle the rb would have been in
he had to turbo his ga to outrun an rb20det?
the na GA did that every day on the highway, and even at dex with an rb20det(10psi) in a lighter a31 chassis.

the outperforming an sr20det auto makes me think it was an sr20de that had a turbo slapped on.

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 9th, 2013, 11:45 am

Yea that is true. 'Slappin on a turbo on a sr20' is a waste of time. It is slow and dead. Better u buy a GA and slap on a turbo on that. The ga is the best engine to turbo. Even the GTR or Lexus is slow compared to the a GA series engine. The fastest and most efficient engine Nissan ever made was the GA series. Power to the GA series engine people! All GA series engine will outperform any other make engine that was ever made!

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » June 9th, 2013, 12:44 pm

:rofl: :rofl:

a turbo manifold does not a tune make. hence the term. "slap on"

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 9th, 2013, 1:12 pm

So in ur expertise opinion the fabrication of a GA manifold to accommodate a turbo, and the option to jus go and purchase an SR det manifold.... The ga manifold outweigh the sr manifold given that the OP already on a budget. I see ur logic o wise one. [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » June 9th, 2013, 11:05 pm

yuh sure? ok
wagonrunner wrote:IMO simply slapping on a turbo (6psi or thereabouts) on a GA is creating a timebomb, with smaller yields than an SR swap.

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 10th, 2013, 5:42 pm

^as knowledgeable as u are Carl,I'll disagree with u on the topic of boosting a naturally aspirated engine.

As everything else,there is a right way and wrong way in doing something. My De is boosted the right way,and have been a daily driver from POS to central everyday over a year and a half,and is 100% efficient and reliable on 7psi.

If the OP wants to boost his DE and he has deep pockets,fine........if not the cheaper way to go is the SR. parlor engine as some may call it because every corner u look u will find one.

IMO the after market support,as well as the availability of parts for the SR series engine outweigh the GA any day.

the statement u made above is unrealistic,and.....

I'M YET TO HAVE A GA15 BEAT ME ON A QUARTER MILE RUN. ABOVE U SAID GA BEATING RB DET AND SR DET AND DE-T ON HIGHWAY,WHO DOES THAT REALLY,COME ON! U CAN SAY THAT A GA15 BEAT DET'S AND DE-T'S IN DEX, BUT NOT IN A QUARTER MILE RUN BUDDY..... WAKE UP,YUH STILL DREAMING!

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 10th, 2013, 5:46 pm

OP, Pm user GA15DE-T. He,as the man say above 'slap on' a turbo on his GA the right way and is currently running over 15psi, 100% efficient and reliable. maybe he can give u some pointers on doing it the right way!

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » June 10th, 2013, 5:51 pm

THE SYNDICATE wrote:^as knowledgeable as u are Carl,I'll disagree with u on the topic of boosting a naturally aspirated engine.

As everything else,there is a right way and wrong way in doing something. My De is boosted the right way,and have been a daily driver from POS to central everyday over a year and a half,and is 100% efficient and reliable on 7psi.

If the OP wants to boost his DE and he has deep pockets,fine........if not the cheaper way to go is the SR. parlor engine as some may call it because every corner u look u will find one.

IMO the after market support,as well as the availability of parts for the SR series engine outweigh the GA any day.

the statement u made above is unrealistic,and.....

I'M YET TO HAVE A GA15 BEAT ME ON A QUARTER MILE RUN. ABOVE U SAID GA BEATING RB DET AND SR DET AND DE-T ON HIGHWAY,WHO DOES THAT REALLY,COME ON! U CAN SAY THAT A GA15 BEAT DET'S AND DE-T'S IN DEX, BUT NOT IN A QUARTER MILE RUN BUDDY..... WAKE UP,YUH STILL DREAMING!
I'm not the fastest. I know that.

but my car is light. lighter, than an RB20DET in a C chassis streetcar. that's a distinct advantage.
at dex on that occasion it was a head to head. it beat an A31 after the 31 left 1st from the drag lights, up the straight. clearly i'm still dreaming.

I've seen pulsars that were turboed have faster acceleration than me, yet blowing oil smoke because they can't sustain the top end the length of the highway, which is / was my run.

Why you are so offended that these instances happened is beyond me?

next thing you'll tell me is stock turbo A4's can't be "food" either. :|

your a man who runs 400 meters at a time. i cover 60+km in under 16 minutes often.
Last edited by wagonrunner on June 10th, 2013, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 10th, 2013, 6:00 pm

^i am offended cause u are misleading the OP.You make it sound as though u can't turbo an N/A engine and it can't be reliable. i know u didn't say it,but u are implying it.

My engine,as well as GA15 DE-T,is proof that it is possible to turbo a N/A engine and can be reliable and reliable as an everyday driver as well!

you can say to the OP, if u do it the wrong way it is a ticking time bomb but if it is done the right way it can be a fun and enjoyable vehicle to drive!

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » June 10th, 2013, 6:06 pm

THE SYNDICATE wrote:^i am offended cause u are misleading the OP.You make it sound as though u can't turbo an N/A engine and it can't be reliable. i know u didn't say it,but u are implying it.

My engine,as well as GA15 DE-T,is proof that it is possible to turbo a N/A engine and can be reliable and reliable as an everyday driver as well!

you can say to the OP, if u do it the wrong way it is a ticking time bomb but if it is done the right way it can be a fun and enjoyable vehicle to drive!

:lol: you are reading what you want to into it.
I use the terms "slap on" and "tune". They speak for themselves.
I know of many cars / friends that have been turboed to make big power. fairly relaibly (daily driven, mixed driving).
but you hadda be insane to insist it's just as reliable as it's NA counterpart.
so i guess i am now im saying it.

Why do most "build" men end up buying a tubo engine after they've boosted an NA lump.
They want more power (tuned), and the NA lump can't give them that reliably.

OP doesn't want big power. fine. but a "slap on" still gets roughed up by a SR that it maintained.
cost > benefit there is better? :|

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » June 10th, 2013, 6:17 pm

^lol

i hear yuh man... lol

but i am satisfied with my little 7psi and not want that big power......and i agree with u that some men do want the big power..... not everyone is the same. that is the depending factor there! now that the OP has a wider view on the subject, maybe he can make a better decision now.

i enjoyed the argument with u Carl,it always is informative.

*but really, on a side note,i yet to be beaten on a 'make shift' quarter mile run by a stock ga15 engine! ;) *

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”