TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Old School Projects

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Midnight_Demon
punchin NOS

Re: Old School Projects

Postby Midnight_Demon » July 31st, 2010, 7:18 pm

MG Man wrote:I give up on tryin to beat nigie with logic :-(

So much to go wrong with the handling when a mini is not built properly

dem v8 cruise ships look like they know anything bout handling? them doh study dat, once it could go straight

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » July 31st, 2010, 7:30 pm

^^they CAN be made to handle....

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 31st, 2010, 7:42 pm

ah think MD talkin about the drivers

Midnight_Demon
punchin NOS

Postby Midnight_Demon » July 31st, 2010, 7:54 pm

correct

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » July 31st, 2010, 8:00 pm

I stand corrected

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » July 31st, 2010, 10:16 pm

Aye austin mini and comfort dont go together...and filler is the greatest invention that man has ever made...ok.... the wheel....then filler...

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » July 31st, 2010, 10:21 pm

nigie wrote:Aye austin mini and comfort dont go together...and filler is the greatest invention that man has ever made...ok.... the wheel....then filler...

Yuh dealing with old cars too long :lol:

Mind you that's not such a bad thing.....ask MG man :lol:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 31st, 2010, 11:14 pm

nigie wrote:Aye austin mini and comfort dont go together...and filler is the greatest invention that man has ever made...ok.... the wheel....then filler...

you are the antithesis of everything I stand for

Dragist
punchin NOS

Postby Dragist » August 1st, 2010, 2:33 pm

Not bothering .

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 1st, 2010, 10:47 pm

MG Man wrote:

you are the antithesis of everything I stand for

Aye everybody knows that the mini is noted for a stiff uncomfortable ride ..i actually had a family member that bought one and sold it because of that ride.... and face it..filler is one of the best sellers in the paint shop.....so dont try and pretend...lemme knock around any of those cars u restoring... :mrgreen:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 1st, 2010, 11:16 pm

nigie wrote:... and face it..filler is one of the best sellers in the paint shop.....so dont try and pretend...lemme knock around any of those cars u restoring... :mrgreen:

yes you will find some filler applied very thinly to the left side rear fender on the MGB, and there is a very tiny amount on the nose of the HSR, as well as a light layer on the left hand corner, but nothing close to the abortion you are implying on that Mini...

filler is meant to smooth out slight imperfections, not hide butchery

d spike
Riding on 18's

Postby d spike » August 1st, 2010, 11:55 pm

Bondo and cars are like alcohol and women... When they're young, you only need a little amount to make things acceptable... It's when they get old that you need copious amounts to be able to ensure that appreciation is possible.

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » August 2nd, 2010, 7:54 am

I agree with MG Man...dem fellars going a$$rape that mini with the amount of filler....and they funny thing is they cool with it. Just find another mini dat wouldn't need so much body work

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » August 2nd, 2010, 4:34 pm

remind me never to take any car by nigie or any of he patnas :roll:

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 3rd, 2010, 8:51 am

d spike wrote:Bondo and cars are like alcohol and women... When they're young, you only need a little amount to make things acceptable... It's when they get old that you need copious amounts to be able to ensure that appreciation is possible.

VERY WELL SAID..>>GO TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS..

dem fellas feel is a b14 where u could run down bamboo and get a fender...anyways....ill try to take pics as we progress..so u b the judge...

Midnight_Demon
punchin NOS

Postby Midnight_Demon » August 3rd, 2010, 8:56 am

nigie wrote:
d spike wrote:Bondo and cars are like alcohol and women... When they're young, you only need a little amount to make things acceptable... It's when they get old that you need copious amounts to be able to ensure that appreciation is possible.

dem fellas feel is a b14 where u could run down bamboo and get a fender...anyways....ill try to take pics as we progress..so u b the judge...

if u cant do it right why do it at all? i know of atleast 4 mini shells right now .. so YES u can run down in the bamboo and get parts. if u on a low budget then that shell isnt what u should be "restoring" get a better shell. lots of rust + accident = death

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 3rd, 2010, 9:03 am

great MD.....ill pm you ..so u can give me a lead on a better shell

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 3rd, 2010, 9:10 am

CALLING ALL OLD SCHOOLERS....CALLING ALL OLD SCHOOLERS

take a lil plug one time ...:mrgreen:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 3rd, 2010, 9:12 am

nigie wrote:

er.............you've seen the cars I own, right?
Refer back to my original comments
I indicated the safe option would be to find a proper shell, as MD also said.........your response was that filler will fix anything and the owner was looking for a cheap fix
I then commented on the dangers of driving a mini with poorly aligned subframes. You said Mini's are uncomfortable so it does not matter
While I am sure much of what you said may have been in jest, it does underscore the local mentality of 'it go wuk so'
There are proper ways to do repairs, without the nede to hide butchery with filler.
Mini replacement panels are not as expensive as you might think. Take a look around the innernetz man
minimania.com etc
Filler is meant to smooth out minor imperfections, not hide poor welding, sloppy structural work, and / or corrosion
The mentality that 'it old so it hadda have paste' is like a cancerous disease among some of the older old schoolers

Over to you spike :mrgreen:

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 3rd, 2010, 10:33 am

being a ole school man u know how the thing does go...cakes of filler to remove....corrections of bad wuk etc..but u still have 2 use gods gift.......filler...a 34 yr old non filler car is extremely rare..idealy no one wants filler on a car...its what u get from the body men ....that u have 2 live with..

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 3rd, 2010, 10:49 am

lol
I agree u need filler, but to what extent!
Getting back to the mini, there is no way to cheaply and safely repair that car

We need to be careful how we say things. Impressionable minds are looking
http://www.minimania.com/web/STSearch/P ... entory.cfm

there are also local guys who can press some of the larger panels as well...........
With enough patience and effort, that mini can be done properly, without pounds of filler, and still be straight and safe

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » August 3rd, 2010, 11:08 am

The thing with a mini is that it is a class-less car. I love minis but if i wanted one i would prolly get a shell in good condition and order parts from away. Because its the kind of car when people see it they are going to observe it and talk about it. I rather them say hey that guy took time,effort and money to have this car looking great...it may not be the best around but it inspires praise. Than to have a filler box with wavey sides and deformed panels, just to say i have a mini.
A job worth doing is a job worth doing well!

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 3rd, 2010, 1:04 pm

Anyways...Renault 3 lug bolt pattern...initial idea was 2 polish these ...but going for the more modern...so a adapter to the more popular four lug is in order.....

note the non factory door winder....extra work/correction needed

rust....rust....more rust....

this covers the gas tank in the renault wagon...heavy mite do it over in aluminum

d spike
Riding on 18's

Postby d spike » August 3rd, 2010, 9:43 pm

MG Man wrote:Filler is meant to smooth out minor imperfections, not hide poor welding, sloppy structural work, and / or corrosion
The mentality that 'it old so it hadda have paste' is like a cancerous disease among some of the older old schoolers

Well said, lad... but I honestly believe Nigie wasn't referring to a "gazette paper" job, or the "hiding of arseholery a la filler". Your cars are lovely specimens, and you're lucky to have them. My Vauxhall spent most of her later life high and dry in the back of one garage then another - that's the luck of the draw. If I wanted to buy a Viva now, all the ones I have seen thus far (and can afford - the pretty one in Barrackpore belonging to a deceased friend is being sold by his widow for much more than $40,000) would require major sheet metal work and buckets o' Bondo.
I'm not saying that 'it old so it hadda have paste', but... if the car that you can afford, or the one your heart is set on (or both) is a 30+ year old banger, then there are some things you will HAVE to live with. One is the fact that doing your own welding is a lot cheaper, and the other is you need to buy a pail of the gobby stuff. How well/little you do the former will directly affect how much you use of the latter.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 3rd, 2010, 10:33 pm

bigchief3679 wrote:
nigie wrote:yes... that unimpeachable voice from the SS enterprise will show me the correct expensive way... :mrgreen: ....but the owner needs a cheap/econo way 2 get this baby on the road

see that rotten hood im thinking about suggesting chopping it off and making a convertable

daiz your first problem right there. a cheapskate-mini is the cutest death trap one can ever hope to own :oops: :oops: :|

PS 40k for a VIVA????
WTF

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 4th, 2010, 1:01 am

Yeah spike ...i wasnt refering to a gazette paper job....as i said ..and being realistic its a old car and because of this body parts arnt readily available so patching and fillering will be done...some people have a big phobia when they hear that forbiden word ...filler....i guess thats because men over do it buy giving the public inch thick bondo..so we accustomed to the trini standard...but nothing is wrong with some filler on a car... just as mg has on his resto...ideally ..the less the better ....but shells are 9000 pound sterling ..cheapest 4000 pound sterling...so a lil classic plastic wont hurt... :mrgreen:

and yeah mg 40k...these r the prices

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 4th, 2010, 9:34 am

Nigie where u getting your prices from?
4000 quid for a mini shell?

are your suppliers nuts?
3500 quid buys you a brand new MGB shell, apready in primer
You can pick up a MOT failure Mini for a few hundred........it's the shipping that gonna keel ya
Did you check the links I posted for replacement panels?

d spike
Riding on 18's

Postby d spike » August 4th, 2010, 9:57 am

MG Man wrote:PS 40k for a VIVA????
WTF

This is a car-show quality Viva (not talking about local car-shows - no offense meant to local guys :lol: ) restored by a fanatical perfectionist who happened to be a paint-shop owner. (By the way, he HATED filler. He wanted me to swap my fenders with his, for though no one could tell, his fenders were completely rebuilt - and just his knowing that used to BUG him. :lol: ) Paul was a really decent guy, but his cars had to be perfect.
Paul painted her in a candy red. The mechanic who redid the drivetrain and suspension, builds his cars to run (he drag-races a dark-green Hunter) and he almost cried when Paul brought a trailer to take the finished Viva home. I can't remember what he did the suspension, but it was intended to be one hell of a road-machine, with some Toyota V-engine with a 5-speed box (not my choice, but boy did dat ting look good). I don't think that Viva ever touched the road again, and it never saw sun or rain, except when he showed it.
I can't recall the exact price that Paul's widow is selling it for (some obscene thing like $*9,000... with the first figure not being a 4 or less) but I was glumly told by chums (who know I liked it) that the car was more than worth it. :(

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 4th, 2010, 10:45 am

a VIVA?????????
is a Viva yuh talkin buot dey eh
no matter how shiny it is, is still ah VIVA
That would be like askin 200k for a pristine Almera 40 years from now..........

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » August 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

$$$$$$$

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”