TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Is an expensive paint job really worth it?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rjaggs
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rjaggs » May 15th, 2012, 11:13 am

I'm considering repainting my car at a high end auto body shop because I absolutely hate to see flaws in a paint job, especially paint fumes on glass/rims/mouldings, painted door/glass gaskets, etc. However, on the other hand, is the cost really worth the satisfaction? The last thing i need would be to go thru all the trouble and then realise some a$$h0le scrape/hit my car in a parking lot...in other words I know that maintaining a high quality paintjob will also consume more resources than the average, not so classy paintjob

Is it really worth it?

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Is an expensive paint job really worth it?

Postby cinco » May 15th, 2012, 11:17 am

its personal preference man
tbh in trinidad i would get a nice paint job but not a spectacular one on a DD
right now im considering repainting my car a colour that can touch up easily since im guaranteed to get dings where i park

rjaggs
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rjaggs » May 15th, 2012, 11:25 am

i know it boils down to personal preference, but i'm sure someone went thru this before and may have some words of wisdom to impart.

I intend to keep the factory colour, but i would also like to maintain the factory look. I have seen some very crappy finishes before, i've even seen jobs of visibly varied quality done by the same garage (maybe different painter). While i don't mind paying a little extra for quality, I would also like to consider the practicality of maintaining a great paintjob on my daily driver.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » May 15th, 2012, 11:32 am

high end finish is really hard to maintain and if you don't have the time then don't bother
(unless you and karim is good friends then yeh go right ahead).

you talking about not letting bird sheit dry on your paint and stuff.
i really tried to maintain my factory paint on my hilux but after noticing after every wash a new scratch shows up i really cant be bothered anymore....once there is no rust then i good.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » May 15th, 2012, 12:19 pm

rjaggs wrote:i know it boils down to personal preference, but i'm sure someone went thru this before and may have some words of wisdom to impart.

I intend to keep the factory colour, but i would also like to maintain the factory look. I have seen some very crappy finishes before, i've even seen jobs of visibly varied quality done by the same garage (maybe different painter). While i don't mind paying a little extra for quality, I would also like to consider the practicality of maintaining a great paintjob on my daily driver.

if u see my car right now u would understand it looks like crap
but i feel hard about even paying 8 grand for a paint job when i know imma get scratched n dented

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » May 15th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Instead of considering a high end shop repaint, can the existing paint be restored?

jeevdude199
Shifting into 6th

Postby jeevdude199 » May 15th, 2012, 1:23 pm

to be honest from my experience no. repainted my entire car pricy painjob 2 months after was rear ended and well u could guess the rest......

Pantos
Street 2NR

Postby Pantos » May 15th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Today I spoke about this. What is the point of spending all this money to get a paintjob, and then some a$$h0le passes by where you park, with a key/coin and a wrong idea of fun. This actually happened to me a few years aback while I was seated in my car in Chaguanas, in traffic. By the time I got out, the 3 of them had run off into the crowd.
edit...
Then comes the other a$$h0le who never have insurance and good brakes and aim for your ride, and never want to go to the station to report the fender-bender, and then never have the $$ that you say will take to fix it.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 15th, 2012, 10:56 pm

from my understanding,have a "high cost" paint job,and spending a lot to do such a job would entail in that very vehicle being at home most of time.it's going to be your sunday vehicle not an everyday vehicle.it's a show vehicle for some as they would say.it's worth it if you like it as a hobby and maintaining the vehicle would all depend on how you treat your car.if you're using this car everyday then forget it..

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » May 16th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Why mod your car at all?

If you like nice stuff you get them, that's life.

What you should be asking is if you can get a comparatively good job at a cheaper, probably less reputable place.

Kiro_lee
Riding on 16's

Postby Kiro_lee » May 16th, 2012, 12:44 pm

cinco wrote:
rjaggs wrote:i know it boils down to personal preference, but i'm sure someone went thru this before and may have some words of wisdom to impart.

if u see my car right now u would understand it looks like crap
but i feel hard about even paying 8 grand for a paint job when i know imma get scratched n dented

yea his car really looks like crap.

rjaggs
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rjaggs » May 16th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Conrad wrote:What you should be asking is if you can get a comparatively good job at a cheaper, probably less reputable place.

I know a couple of places that do pretty decent jobs (based on recommendations) but they will hardly ever compare... but this is the most sensible option for me right now

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 16th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Doesn't make sense if it's a daily driver. If not, then yes.

roadracer7
Shifting into 6th

Postby roadracer7 » May 17th, 2012, 9:52 am

man. you can also paint it yourself....it isn't hard to do...and it will save you a lot of money on the labour.... and you would have learned something.....

check pricemart for a paint gun set, rent a air compressor...etc....

happy painting

for me , i love my battle scars...........

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”