TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

2010 Caribbean Solodex/Autocross Championship!!!

Official Solodex Forum -
Please visit www.carstt.com for more info on Autocross (aka Solodex)

Moderators: CarsTT, CARSTT SoloDex, 3ne2nr Mods

DEVI
Riding on 18's

2010 Caribbean Solodex/Autocross Championship!!!

Postby DEVI » December 14th, 2009, 11:13 am

I just got a call from a Bajan Autocross club rep about doing a caribbean dex championship next year.....mind you this is just an idea so far....

The top 3 championship drivers from each country... Barbados , Jamaica and Trinidad....one event in each country and you drive the same cars...much like our championship shootout... vehicles made available in each country will be used....no transfering of vehicles required....and we're looking at this happening at one of the regular events in each country.

So i am throwing it out to you guys for ideas....nothing fixed yet...Sponsors required, maybe more than 3 drivers to represent each country.... discuss please, what do you guys think?

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » December 14th, 2009, 12:15 pm

WOW love this idea....... WTB skill to compete at regional level

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » December 14th, 2009, 12:50 pm

very interesting ....let hope this gets going

saltydog
CARS Member

Postby saltydog » December 14th, 2009, 1:38 pm

so how would you choose the drivers to represent trinidad? would there be a competition to help select the best suited drivers? or would the team just be made up of people that won last year? I ask cause we have a lot of talented drivers that did not compete last year that might come out for this.

discuss

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » December 14th, 2009, 2:13 pm

there must be some formal competition for this specific reason i guess :|

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » December 14th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Excellent idea, and look how men already jostling to get pick!

This would be great for building that competition we want to engender throughout the Caribbean – another new series, and to think that only recently some were trying to play down Solodex!

From the comments already posted, one can see that a lot of thought must go into this, in the selection of drivers. Easy part is the non-movement of cars, and all drivers using the same type of car at each location.

And not because one has deep pocket$ can you out-$pend others in the type of machinery used.

Lord, talk about a whole new area of insularity that’s going to develop among Caribbean drivers!

CARS should begin to put down some basic guidelines to ensure that this idea is brought to fruition.

Ahhm, please cater for an SS Class (that’s a senior sitizens class eh)

_moti_
Riding on 13's

Postby _moti_ » December 14th, 2009, 3:21 pm

nice :idea:

TREX
Trinituner Peong

Postby TREX » December 14th, 2009, 5:32 pm

This is an excellent oppertunity to move the sport forward
am all for it
devi u should arrange a meeing asap and get some sort or proposal put together
also I see that rawle has shown some interest so it is safe to assume thT Matt will support u with this
(pls excuse spelling)

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » December 14th, 2009, 6:40 pm

great idea this
and good plan to use the same vehicle at the event as it will eliminate the stress of transporting vehicles to different countries.
Hopefully you can get some sponsors on board to help with air fares and even approach some hotels to provide accommodations for the drivers.

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » December 14th, 2009, 11:06 pm

saltydog has a point... there are many drivers who just didn't compete for the year and as such may not be considered...

on the other hand you'd want guys to jostle for those few positions...

I think though each of the three clubs should come together and put forward a criteria for selection... which should be based on local competition in 2010... and then the regional championship in 2011...

You can also consider approaching a regional sponsor (like say Suzuki or Toyota) who sells pretty much the same car in each island. They can assist in preparing say 2 cars which can be shipped from island to island... The preparation would minimal... some brake pads, some tires... maybe a 4 point harness...some decals... just something to make it look racy (and safe), yet retain most of the stock potential.... you guys gotta convince them of the marketing potential of such a venture...

but.... having said that..... Consider the SCCA Solo Nationals... when you come from the different parts of the US, you don't rent a car... you drive what you brought... it would be nice to see some purpose prepared autocross (but also regularly driven... not necessarily daily driven) from up the islands... I understand the shipping may be problematic and costly. Consider linking up with the already established rally clubs in each island who do inter-isle shipping all the time... wouldn't cost much to add two or three autocross cars to the bunch... and then schedule the autocross event a week or two prior to or after the rallies (even as a buildup to the rally)... of course this will only work if your not a race on sunday, drive to work on monday racer

speaking of piggybacking on the rally clubs... why not try out having the guys who come here for Rally Trinidad in a BYCC the week prior to the rally... or even the day after the rally (RT is usually held on the long weekend at the end of March)...and not so much the competitors... the Bajan, Jamaican, etc. rally followers who quick to jump on trini drivers... you can call it... dex-yuh-rental (or something like that).

ok... so i went off on a tangent... but my original point... put together some criteria for the drivers to compete with in the back of their minds in 2010.... for proper regional competition in 2011

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » December 15th, 2009, 10:00 am

i am for the top three drivers in the champ shootout at dex for last year.

if you did not compete last year in teh champ shootout for any reason then thats incentive for you to try harder or show up at dex next year :wink:

and yes as upsettign as what i am saying is, remember i have excluded myself by this thinking :cry:

salty dawg as well, even thou he is a fantastic driver :lol:

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » December 15th, 2009, 10:12 am

MadCrix wrote:i am for the top three drivers in the champ shootout at dex for last year.

if you did not compete last year in teh champ shootout for any reason then thats incentive for you to try harder or show up at dex next year :wink:

and yes as upsettign as what i am saying is, remember i have excluded myself by this thinking :cry:

salty dawg as well, even thou he is a fantastic driver :lol:

^^^^ i doh think that all to right ...considering if a rwd car is used for the competition and i go as one of the three ... is best yuh send a monkey :(

i think it should be put to a vote ...and only C.A.R.S member that has competed in the regulated number of events for the year be selected. (4 championship events)

saltydog
CARS Member

Postby saltydog » December 15th, 2009, 10:13 am

well lets get this thing going first before people start to get upset about who should take part. The exec have some tough descions to make there but the hard work must come first. This type of event requires a lot of planning, however it can be done.

Mini last time I checked the rally club did not want to include solodex in anything they did so I think you may find that the whilst the members I am sure are welcome a joint effort may be difficult.

mind you I am no longer on the exec and as such do not speak for the club.

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » December 15th, 2009, 10:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DEVI
Riding on 18's

Postby DEVI » December 15th, 2009, 10:29 am

I am thinking maybe a competition where we invite the first and second in each class for the past two years....then the final selection is up to a commitee( not just the CARS commitee)....the most important thing right now is a plan to get it off the ground, driver selection is secondary.

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » December 15th, 2009, 10:33 am

DEVI wrote:I am thinking maybe a competition where we invite the first and second in each class for the past two years....then the final selection is up to a commitee( not just the CARS commitee)....the most important thing right now is a plan to get it off the ground, driver selection is secondary.

well said

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » December 15th, 2009, 11:14 am

well when it gets off the ground and when the event is held in tnt i will offer devi evo 6 up for the drivers to use.

everybody cool with that?

rjaggs
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rjaggs » December 15th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Ignorant Ignis wrote:
...considering if a rwd car is used for the competition and i go as one of the three ... is best yuh send a monkey :(

i think it should be put to a vote ...and only C.A.R.S member that has competed in the regulated number of events for the year be selected. (4 championship events)

this is a very good point....in this regard drivers may not be on a 'level' playing field depending on what class of car is used for the competition...

TREX
Trinituner Peong

Postby TREX » December 16th, 2009, 9:38 am

Ok Devi
What is the next Step for planning this thing??

Maybe u can arrange a Side meeting before the next Exec Meeting
Would be happy to assist in planning

Kirby
Ricer

Postby Kirby » December 17th, 2009, 3:19 am

Hi guys,

Initially I put the idea to Devi as a thought but I am glad with the responses and excitement the idea has brought about. If we allow the top 3 or so in the championship to go then it is fair all round. However perhaps it would be ok to add a wild card or two which the committee would choose as the best of the rest.

Saying this the current track championship is basically open to all who can afford it. As a result should we consider someone who has the funding to pay his way to each island and compete? But still cap it off at a max number?

For example a guy who did well at a few events but didnt compete in all because of some reason or the other....

If we could get a manufacturer to sponsor the deal in each country then we would basically be using one or two loaner cars for each event. Their benefits are obvious. I dont think there is a need for the cars to be 'set up' in any way. Who knows perhaps a few people in each club would offer their cars to be used for the final shoot out or something similar.

As Mini said it would be nice to get some Autocross cars island hopping but that brings a whole other realm of logistics to it, especially in Barbados where it sometimes takes a fairly long time to get visitin rally cars out of the port. I am not saying it is impossible but we need to crawl before we can walk.

dream-carz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dream-carz » December 17th, 2009, 8:40 pm

i like it. whichever way it works best.

Mr. Fixables
Trinituner Peong

Postby Mr. Fixables » December 17th, 2009, 9:14 pm

I hold a Trini passport .... :)

Can I be considered too?

Kirk

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » December 18th, 2009, 2:16 am

MG Man say he too busy putting the HSR on compounds to post here, but he says to tell allyuh he approves. :lol:

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » December 18th, 2009, 7:22 pm

You can look at this a whole number of ways, but don't forget the local opportunity here.

If this can be a real, tangible, planned event, may you can advertise (with sponsors involved) for a Solodex local compe to get our best drivers in the country. It can catapult dex into a viable sport locally and maybe help gain access to more facilites for events.

Of course this is not forgetting some of the great drivers currently in dex and dex past.

Overall, the idea sounds great ! I would love to come watch/support whatever island it's in...

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » December 18th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Nice cross section of comments.

But let’s look at this from different perspectives.

First, can this initiative develop a whole new set of interest in Solodex?

Definitely, especially if there is the option for new drivers to come on board and start to challenge those who have been cruising along in their own comfort zone. How would the current and regular drivers deal with this new interest, and can they continue to show that they are still capable of being in winners row?

To suggest that if and when drivers are chosen for this possible new Caribbean challenge, the choice should be limited, will do nothing to boost the competition level that currently exists.

What will the bragging rights be like, if we see some Rally drivers jumping in the fray and getting some serious licks from the regular Dex drivers? Same for the circuit drivers, and Lord help us if a few Drag Racers come and try to turn right or left!

But if the opposite happens, well the Dex drivers will just have to realize how much more work they have to do. And in the end, we end up with a host of drivers who would have definitely improved on their driving skills.

Point here is there is a great possibility of all of the above being interested in this new challenge, and Solodex will be the big winner.

There is a hell of a lot of thinking on this idea to be thrashed out, if this should materialize at all this year, and what has been mentioned by pervious comments is just the tip of the iceberg.

So before the “regularsâ€

saltydog
CARS Member

Postby saltydog » December 18th, 2009, 8:41 pm

I agree rawle once everything has been done the drivers should be chosen by merit and by that I mean decided upon by a competition. This can only raise the bar for competiton.

What the exec was trying to do was encourage regular competition, not the guys who want to turn up for these type of events but dont compete besides for the rest of the year. In order to be applicable you must have some events under your belt.

Silvermike
Riding on 17's

Postby Silvermike » December 19th, 2009, 6:56 pm

have qualilfiers thruout the year...std cars. and a mix of rwd, 4wd, fwd.

top 3 represent.

Mudboy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Mudboy » December 19th, 2009, 10:22 pm

saltydog wrote:I agree rawle once everything has been done the drivers should be chosen by merit and by that I mean decided upon by a competition. This can only raise the bar for competiton.

What the exec was trying to do was encourage regular competition, not the guys who want to turn up for these type of events but dont compete besides for the rest of the year. In order to be applicable you must have some events under your belt.

Well said.......

honda hoe
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby honda hoe » December 22nd, 2009, 1:18 pm

good idea

but i hope it doesn't end up being 3 evo/sti drivers :?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » December 22nd, 2009, 2:24 pm

well the Box Lancer / Viva / B11 / MG drivers mos def eh go mek de cut :|

Advertisement

Return to “CARS - Autocross (Solodex)”