Saturday, November 1st, 2014

- It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Jump to:  

ruffneck_12
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:38 am 
punchin NOS

I think its an education thing too, because csec/cape unit 1 physics will teach you about the ear
and how the ear is more sensitive to midrange frequencies and less sensitive to low frequencies

which is why a 130dB burst at 20Hz won't even phase you, but a 115dB burst at 2750Hz will have your ears ringing (some random figures, don't quote me)

But I doubt most people pay attention in school or even bothered to do cape so they just dropped out and became installers

silent_riot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 am 
punchin NOS

Once it playing, the customer paying.

Ted_v2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

i think the reason most people go for dj speakers in their install because its just a "chook ett dey and two drywall screws "and its working , well enough for someone to listen too and still make some Noise

whereas components take a bit more prep to install and play properly ( dynamat, sealed up area ect)

i had a pair of components (pretty good stuff) and it never sounded good in its install, i never cut proper risers and installed it properly ,which i knew what to do but never did it.

and i also had a pair of eminence delta pro or something like that ,not the normal alphas in a box , sounded way better and install was much simpler to the regular person. Just screw it up in a box.

ill still go with comps at the end of the day because in a properly tuned and well done install it would sound damn good for the average joe.

kurpal_v2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:50 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

You know you just said you rathered build a box than cut two risers right?

Jus saying.

-Roach-
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm 
12 pounds of Boost

kurpal_v2 wrote:
You know you just said you rathered build a box than cut two risers right?

Jus saying.

:lol: ...Im Guessing He Talking About Total Cost... X Amount Of Dynamat + Risers > M&Ms And Mids Boxes... Lol...

silent_riot
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 pm 
punchin NOS

Mids affi clap, bassline affi drop.

gt4tified
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:33 pm 
punchin NOS

Let’s pick up this topic where we left off....but amend it to include pro audio processing equipment...like the DBX driverack PA...what are your takes on this ppl?

Brian Steele
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:12 am 
Chronic TriniTuner

gt4tified wrote:
Let’s pick up this topic where we left off....but amend it to include pro audio processing equipment...like the DBX driverack PA...what are your takes on this ppl?

I'd love to see a car audio version of that produced!

silent_riot
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 am 
punchin NOS

A lot of the competition level guys in the US and here use them in their cars.
Lots of Rane, dbx, Behringer with modified power supplies are in use in both Sound Q and gallery cars. (Never seen a BSS in a car though)
Their processing power exceeds anything available on the car audio market and their flexibility means that you may not need to upgrade the piece anytime soon.
Car audio processors are now catching up, but I haven't seen any with compressors or limiters just yet.

The downside is, if you don't know how to use it (and it isn't difficult to learn), you can make your system sound worse. However, that's a downside with any piece of equipment.

gt4tified
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:27 am 
punchin NOS

why would you want to incorporate a compressor/limiter into a car audio system, which is primarily for playback audio, unless you want to incorporate a microphone to sing the national anthem. :lol:

kurpal_v2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:28 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

gt4tified wrote:
why would you want to incorporate a compressor/limiter into a car audio system, which is primarily for playback audio, unless you want to incorporate a microphone to sing the national anthem. :lol:

In a technically correct system you can use the compressors to make changes to the signal smoother therefore making the transitions less noticeable to the listener?

gt4tified
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:48 am 
punchin NOS

kurpal_v2 wrote:
gt4tified wrote:

In a technically correct system you can use the compressors to make changes to the signal smoother therefore making the transitions less noticeable to the listener?

But in competition, this may be detrimental as it can affect the ambient qualities of the recorded sound stage.

Curtms
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:20 pm 
Sweet on this forum

The Faital pro 6FE200 comes in 4ohm and 8ohm versions. Is the 4ohm for car audio(similar to components resistance) and the 8ohm dj audio?

Brian Steele
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:45 pm 
Chronic TriniTuner

gt4tified wrote:
But in competition, this may be detrimental as it can affect the ambient qualities of the recorded sound stage.

Compression might actually be beneficial. Two reasons come to mind: (1) to reduce the possibility of any noticeable distortion caused by clipped signals, and (2) to improve the audibility of older recorded material (and any material recorded with a high dynamic range) in the usually noisy car audio environment. Note: Most modern "pop" music is already heavily compressed (unfortunately), so there will be less noticeable benefit if that's your choice of music.

DJ Q
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 am 
punchin NOS

Most people in here bickering because of what they prefer.

Having used both pro audio and components in my own personal car, there are two very distinct differences:

Components sound better.
Pro Audio gets louder.

That's it.

To get the sound of components from pro audio speakers, you will need:

- Bullet Tweeters
- High Mids
- Low Mids

= Expensive

To get the volume of pro audio speakers from components you will need:

- Lots of components
= Expensive

That's it.

-Roach-
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 am 
12 pounds of Boost

DJ Q wrote:
To get the sound of components from pro audio speakers

-1.. Can Never Happen. :?

nervewrecker
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:13 am 
TriniTuner 24-7

-Roach- wrote:
DJ Q wrote:

yea?

People are now using pro audio speakers in 3 way component sets with great results. :idea:

DJ Q
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 am 
punchin NOS

nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:
DJ Q wrote:

yea?

People are now using pro audio speakers in 3 way component sets with great results. :idea:

DJ Q wrote:
To get the sound of components from pro audio speakers, you will need:

- Bullet Tweeters
- High Mids
- Low Mids

May need to include woofers as well since some of these components go down to 50 hz

nervewrecker
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am 
TriniTuner 24-7

most go down to approx 60
some go down to 50
and few go down to below 50.

People have been using comps that fall within the first bracket I mentioned with great success. The issue of having a comp set go down to below 50hz has bothered me forquite awhile because of the costs of those sets, I actually considered using a sub for the driver. It has already been done in here too with great results.

-Roach-
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:35 pm 
12 pounds of Boost

nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:
DJ Q wrote:

yea?

Who DIS?... :lol: ...On A Real Though... I Would Like To Hear This...

kurpal_v2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:58 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

-Roach- wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:
DJ Q wrote:

yea?

Show up to an ICE/IASCA/MECA event, simple as that.

DIS using zapco i-force afaik.

nervewrecker wrote:
some go down to 50

People have been using comps that fall within the first bracket I mentioned with great success. The issue of having a comp set go down to below 50hz has bothered me forquite awhile because of the costs of those sets, I actually considered using a sub for the driver. It has already been done in here too with great results.

I maybe confused but why do you want your midbass to play subbass?

evolution7tt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:07 pm 
3NE2NR is my LIFE

nervewrecker wrote:
50hz has bothered me for quite awhile because of the costs of those sets, I actually considered using a sub for the driver. It has already been done in here too with great results.

:mrgreen: Yup! And honestly, you don't NEED it. Once you treat your door properly (assuming that is where you gonna put it) and carefully set gains and play with phase on your sub, you should be good to go. I have mine crossed at 50Hz now and sounds fine, no need to go any lower.

-Roach-
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 pm 
12 pounds of Boost

kurpal_v2 wrote:
-Roach- wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:
DJ Q wrote:

yea?

Show up to an ICE/IASCA/MECA event, simple as that.

DIS using zapco i-force afaik.

nervewrecker wrote:
some go down to 50

I maybe confused but why do you want your midbass to play subbass?

Timing dan.... Level work... But i'd like a demo of dave though... When you ready to make a turn organise nah, we go pump....

kurpal_v2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Next ICE event I could pick you up and have you home by 10/11am.

-Roach-
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 pm 
12 pounds of Boost

kurpal_v2 wrote:
Next ICE event I could pick you up and have you home by 10/11am.

Saturday... 8:00am to 3:00pm..
Sunday... 8:00am to 5:00pm...
:lol:

gt4tified
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:03 am 
punchin NOS

Brian Steele wrote:
gt4tified wrote:

Compression might actually be beneficial. Two reasons come to mind: (1) to reduce the possibility of any noticeable distortion caused by clipped signals, and (2) to improve the audibility of older recorded material (and any material recorded with a high dynamic range) in the usually noisy car audio environment. Note: Most modern "pop" music is already heavily compressed (unfortunately), so there will be less noticeable benefit if that's your choice of music.

Maybe you didn't read what I wrote properly, or maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am saying that in SQ competition, compression cannot help, moreso if the judge knows his/her stuff. Not sure what judging CD MECA SQ uses but I know for a fact that for IASCA SQ events there is only one judging CD.

Brian Steele
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 pm 
Chronic TriniTuner

gt4tified wrote:
Maybe you didn't read what I wrote properly, or maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You were not clear enough. You did not specify what type of competition you were thinking of.

In any case, done right, the effect should not audibly degrade the response at the typical levels of SQ judging.

GVTrini07
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:52 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Assuming that the term DJ Vs Components is used loosely…
What distinguishes DJ Speakers from Components? Is it Ohms? Is it Frequency Response? Is it sensitivity? Is it size? Is it that one comes complete with Passive Cross, woofer and tweeter and the other is just a Raw Driver? Is it that the Mfg describes product A as DJ and product B as component?

SR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:43 am 
Chief Cook & Instigator

sigh...............

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/productos.php

its much better than your common pro audio products presently available locally

silent_riot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am 
punchin NOS

GVTrini07 wrote:
Assuming that the term DJ Vs Components is used loosely…
What distinguishes DJ Speakers from Components? Is it Ohms? Is it Frequency Response? Is it sensitivity? Is it size? Is it that one comes complete with Passive Cross, woofer and tweeter and the other is just a Raw Driver? Is it that the Mfg describes product A as DJ and product B as component?

Finally, someone is thinking the correct thoughts.
It's not the label on the product, it's how you use it. ALL speakers have limitations. It can be frequency response, power compression, distortion, power response. You need to understand what you have and the limitations within which you can use the product.

I've been using midrange "DJ Speakers" in a sound quality competition application successfully for the past 3 years. I think it's in the top 2 highest scores locally for this season for both MECA and IASCA. One of the highest scoring Sound Quality competitors at SBN 2012 in both IASCA and MECA used midrange "DJ Speakers" and had a score of over 250 out of 275 in IASCA.