Forums

Mids amp tripping...... advice needed

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

GTcruzer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby GTcruzer » March 6th, 2011, 1:41 am

lately when i put on my deck, a loud "paks" sound is heard (i'm not sure of a better way to describe it) and mids cut-off (amp protection comes on speakers have no sound/noise coming through at all), the bass continues playing though. it happens mostly on 1st start after the car down for the day but sometimes if i switch the deck off then back on, it works normal.... other times it never works.
it was suggested that the ground connection got loose or just not making proper contact anymore and is taking a ground through the RCAs. last week i removed the connection then hooked it back up tightening it a little better but the amp was still tripping with the protection coming on. tonight i cleaned the grounding area & battery poles but it happened once after.
any suggestions as to what may be causing this?
it's really frustrating when i put on the deck & only hearing bass & other times it playing real good!!! :?

i'm using a lil wonder 3rd gen 620.4 and that is pushing two 6" & two 8" powerbass xtreme for mids only. the amp is under the front seat & is grounded on a bolt next to it.

& i'm NOT having any problems with the bass which is on a mono

Neither of my amps experience over heating, i rarely ever turn up the volume but i do play it for extended periods as i do alot of running around in this car & neither amp gets hot beyond normal operating temperatures.

riadb
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Mids amp tripping...... advice needed

Postby riadb » March 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm

GTcruzer wrote:lately when i put on my deck, a loud "paks" sound is heard (i'm not sure of a better way to describe it) and mids cut-off (amp protection comes on speakers have no sound/noise coming through at all), the bass continues playing though. it happens mostly on 1st start after the car down for the day but sometimes if i switch the deck off then back on, it works normal.... other times it never works.
it was suggested that the ground connection got loose or just not making proper contact anymore and is taking a ground through the RCAs. last week i removed the connection then hooked it back up tightening it a little better but the amp was still tripping with the protection coming on. tonight i cleaned the grounding area & battery poles but it happened once after.
any suggestions as to what may be causing this?
it's really frustrating when i put on the deck & only hearing bass & other times it playing real good!!! :?

i'm using a lil wonder 3rd gen 620.4 and that is pushing two 6" & two 8" powerbass xtreme for mids only. the amp is under the front seat & is grounded on a bolt next to it.

& i'm NOT having any problems with the bass which is on a mono

Neither of my amps experience over heating, i rarely ever turn up the volume but i do play it for extended periods as i do alot of running around in this car & neither amp gets hot beyond normal operating temperatures.

Thats your problem right there.....those amps famous for giving trouble, you should get an amplifier technician to look at it.

rude boy rudy
Street 2NR

Postby rude boy rudy » March 6th, 2011, 9:15 pm

lil wonder 3rd gen 620.4 d worst amp i ever come across d fcuking wurst

3NE 2NR for life

Postby 0001 » March 6th, 2011, 10:48 pm

its true its one of the worst amps that soundstream has ever created

but check ur gains to see if its high cuz that was causing my amp to trip in a short space of time also

jus turn it down hopefully thats the problem

unknown person
3NE 2NR for life

Postby unknown person » March 7th, 2011, 1:15 am

it could just be the outputs shorting....send it to repair by the nearest amp technician.

GTcruzer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby GTcruzer » March 9th, 2011, 11:45 am

The gains are about half level so i don't think it is too high as 0001 suggested.

Someone else did suggest getting rid of that amp & getting another, any suggestions that could work well with my mids??

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » March 9th, 2011, 1:18 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=358535

BEST amp deal on tuner right now, properly wont fit under your seat doh.

If stealth is wat you want cheak out the sx440.1 from cerwin vega,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=268239&hilit=cerwin+vega

GTcruzer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby GTcruzer » March 23rd, 2012, 12:56 am

Nope, fixed it once. Can't remember what was the exact problem but it came back after a week so I got rid of the amp.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”