Forums

wtk about stinger 240a alt

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

caliph tec
Sweet on this forum

wtk about stinger 240a alt

Postby caliph tec » August 29th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Im looking to upgrade my alt and install d stinger 240a alt(Only reason is because i get it on ah best deal)but before i install it i wanted form users who have these alt how day work and if it really output 240a thanks

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: wtk about stinger 240a alt

Postby noyztoyz » September 2nd, 2014, 7:42 am

it does 170a max and is good for durability, because alts that generate less power = less heat (not 100% efficient) = less component thermal failure = last longer

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 2nd, 2014, 8:16 am

Whose the dealer for mechman?

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 10th, 2014, 7:31 am

i am mechman deaelr

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 10th, 2014, 8:00 am

Need to have a word with u soon. Need something

roger
Shifting into 6th

Postby roger » September 12th, 2014, 9:05 pm

What the op should find out is the rpm required to produce the alternator rating.

roger
Shifting into 6th

Postby roger » September 12th, 2014, 9:06 pm

noyztoyz wrote:it does 170a max and is good for durability, because alts that generate less power = less heat (not 100% efficient) = less component thermal failure = last longer

I am not so sure that is accurate.... Just saying

Sully
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sully » September 13th, 2014, 9:07 am

roger wrote:
noyztoyz wrote:it does 170a max and is good for durability, because alts that generate less power = less heat (not 100% efficient) = less component thermal failure = last longer

I am not so sure that is accurate.... Just saying

I'm sure that's not accurate.

roger
Shifting into 6th

Postby roger » September 13th, 2014, 11:01 am

Didn't want to come outright and say it..... :-)

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 11:58 am

is funny how you all claim to know so much but can never come out and offer the ones wanting to learn a little explanation??

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 17th, 2014, 12:20 pm

With this kind of advice, I'm surprised that you don't have a 100% failure rate on your alternators.

We need to go back to the days of publishers and printing presses yes. To much asinine information can be posted to easily.

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 12:24 pm

None of you will ever offer a feasible alternative explanation.
How much high output alts have you witnessed service over the past few years?
How many fail-able components does an alternator have?
What is the main component that fails?
what are the likely causes of that component failure?

nothing you can answer but can definitely tell someone else they wrong. baseless

roger
Shifting into 6th

Postby roger » September 17th, 2014, 3:44 pm

noyztoyz

my response in this post is not to flame anyone or to convey that i know more than anyone. I hope that my "tone" will convey that. The point i wanted to make (i will accept that it prolly was not made at all in my first post..) was to convey that if you are making a technical posting, it should be accurate and the post that i quoted was not.

Logically, the alternators to do not generate power. If an alternator were to generate less heat in producing its rated amperage, it would mean that most of its "work" will be used to generate amperage, thus making it more efficient. In an engine bay temperatures can reach to between 220 to 230F (answers.com), therefore since most of these alts claim to be overbuilt.....you see where i am going??

You as a Mechman dealer should be posting more accurate information (my original premise)

caliph tec
Sweet on this forum

Postby caliph tec » September 17th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Ah next ting is dealers of certain brands will never talk about the failure with there brand but they ah quick to bad talk other brand(not pointing fingers at any one)that's y its not good to buy products from ppl who only sell and support one brand but say what all alt will work good and do there rating according to correct specs that the company recommend for eg bracket and pulley.

Proaudio
Riding on 13's

Postby Proaudio » September 17th, 2014, 9:17 pm

huh, certainly go with any thing else but mechman. hahdhahahah. rip off and no after support. hahhahahahhaa. anything else but mechman.

noyztoyz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby noyztoyz » September 17th, 2014, 9:44 pm

roger much respect for attempting to explain or correct or whatever, one step ahead of the others who pretend to know.

what was meant to be said is if there is a fixed efficiency by which alternators convert kinetic energy into electrical energy, a 400a alternator will generate twice the amount of heat as a 200a one
the 400a alt is not twice the weight of the 200a one however, it will only be a little heavier,
so there's more heat to be dissipated by the case of the same size and more or less same weight, with the same cooling mechanism (same size fan/s at same rpm)
One alternator will obviously operate hotter, and has a higher chance of thermal component failure.
I am not referring to the engine bay temperature, im referring to much hotter,
enough to cause cold soldering on a stator and that type of heat can damage the circuit of an abs plastic protected regulator, enough to damage diodes etc. I hope it is now understandable what was meant
This is why lower amperage alternators last longer generally

roger
Shifting into 6th

Postby roger » September 18th, 2014, 7:23 am

Kool man....

Sully
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sully » September 19th, 2014, 7:39 pm

noyztoyz wrote:what was meant to be said is if there is a fixed efficiency by which alternators convert kinetic energy into electrical energy, a 400a alternator will generate twice the amount of heat as a 200a one

Firstly, I'm not here to teach anyone high school physics. As someone who values the car audio industry, with incorrect information being told to users of the forum this discourages persons from continuing with the hobby / sport.

But since you requested a little knowledge I'll show you where you're going wrong. There are too many variables to simply say that a 400A alternator will generate twice the amount of heat as a 200A alternator. It all boils down to the efficiency, and alternators don't have a fixed efficiency as you mentioned above. Variables such as manufacturing tolerance, resistance of the conductive components, and the efficiency of the rotor to stator energy transfer all play a part. In laymans terms a very inefficient 200A alternator will generate more heat than a very efficient 400A alternator. The only true measure is to put the alternator under load, and test it.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”