Forums

Reverse camera wiring options

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sotf
3NE 2NR for life

Reverse camera wiring options

Postby sotf » December 1st, 2014, 11:40 pm

I have installed a reverse camera to work with my Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD HU. The power for the camera is connected to the reverse lights so that it will only turn on when I engage the reverse gear.

On my HU, there is also a function that allows you select the rear as an option to display on the screen under normal driving. I suspect this can only work if I connect the camera's power to my car's accessories power source. This would mean that the camera would be on essentially all the time.

Question: I want the camera to be on when I am reversing AND when I select the rear view option. Is there a way to do this without having the camera on all the time? Is there a wiring scenario to support this?

Thanks.
Attachments
Rear view option AVH-P4200DVD.jpg
Rear view option AVH-P4200DVD.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 2275 times

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Reverse camera wiring options

Postby Pablo660 » December 2nd, 2014, 5:08 am

Hi
You can do 2 things
1. Run a manual switch to camera from the front to the back requiring u to manually switch it on and off when required ( cheap and easy) or

2. Install 2 relays in parallel so when the reverse light comes on it turns on camera automatically in one relay . The second relay turned on from a manual switch for rear view under normal driving conditions.
If your head unit has a signal out in rear view mode under normal driving conditions, this can be used instead of manual switch
Hope this helps

XLR8

Postby XLR8 » December 2nd, 2014, 5:19 am

I own a Pioneer AVH-X4600BT and what I did was run a single wire from the positive of the reverse lights to the reverse gear input on the headunit. My camera is wired as yours is(ie to the reverse light so it only comes on when the car is in reverse) with a single RCA going directly to the headunit.

On the headunit itself the reverse camera polarity is set to battery so whenever a positive 12v signal is detected by the reverse gear input wire(ie when the car is in reverse) the headunit automatically switches to the reverse camera.

EDIT: For you to be able to do what is stated above and use the rearview option when the car is not in reverse as well. You can wire the reverse camera to an accessory that turns on when the key is in the ACC position instead of the reverse lights. However the wire must still remain the same with regards to the reverse gear input so it can be triggered automatically when the car is in reverse.

sotf
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sotf » December 2nd, 2014, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. Just installed the system yesterday; going to use it for a while and then decide if the using the rear view option is worth the additional work.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » December 11th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Pablo660 wrote:Hi
You can do 2 things
1. Run a manual switch to camera from the front to the back requiring u to manually switch it on and off when required ( cheap and easy) or

2. Install 2 relays in parallel so when the reverse light comes on it turns on camera automatically in one relay . The second relay turned on from a manual switch for rear view under normal driving conditions.
If your head unit has a signal out in rear view mode under normal driving conditions, this can be used instead of manual switch
Hope this helps

This switch can solve that problem:
Set one position to go to the reverse lights, and the other for the ACC feed.

sotf
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sotf » December 24th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Thanks DJ Q, depending on the dimensions, it might fit perfectly into the available switch slots.

hotyman
Riding on 13's

Postby hotyman » October 13th, 2015, 11:08 pm

Hello guys.
I am Hotyman, new member on this site and blog.
I wonder what key model or electronic switch that possesses THREE POSITIONS INDEPENDENT, AND THREE SWITCHES INDIVIDUAL (SEPARATES) IN ONE PIECE OR IF THE THREE SWITCH THIS MODEL POSITIONS, AND A HALF OF THE ""(0)"" A SWITCH THAT CAN ALSO BE USING AS THE SWITCH SECOND PART??
Already, many thanks everyone's attention and I'm waiting for the answer when they want to answer.
Thanks for the opportunity and to soon.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”