TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

SAFC and blacktop

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

33 hertz
3NE2NR is my LIFE

SAFC and blacktop

Postby 33 hertz » August 24th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Has anyone ever tried to install a SAFC 2 or SAFC neo on a blacktop 20v? was wondering if it would make sense or if the ECU would just bypass it.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » December 25th, 2007, 11:01 am

bump, looking for answers to apply to the silvertop as well

narrie
Street 2NR

Postby narrie » December 25th, 2007, 8:41 pm

whats SAFC?

33 hertz
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 33 hertz » December 27th, 2007, 9:55 am

The SAFC is a piggyback computer. The A'PEXi Air Flow Converters work by intercepting the signal between the car's air flow meter and the ECU. The Air Flow Meter is the device that tells the ECU how much air is entering the engine so that the ECU can add the correct amount of fuel.

The ECU calculates the proper ratio of fuel to air for a stock, unmodified engine. Certain engine modifications can cause the dynamics of the engine to require more fuel.

Basically what it does is to fool the ECU into thinking there is more air entering so that the amount of fuel is increased and you can squeeze a few more horses from the engine. The safc can also adjust you injector cycle and has some other cool tuning tools.

33 hertz
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 33 hertz » December 27th, 2007, 10:03 am

I have been researching the effectiveness on the 4age for some time now and have only come up with mixed reviews. Apparantly the 4age ecu has a learning feature that readjusts the mixture over time so you end up with a stock mixture and need to keep on tuning the system ever so often. I have seen the Field brand safc being used successfully but getting one of those is very difficult as they are out of production.

Quite a few persons have gotten the Apexi and Greddy units to work but wont share the info as to how they wired them to work with the ecu. Hope you have better luck than me but guys down here dont really seem to be interested in how to really get the full potential out of the 20v. Everyone just wanna go with a sr20 or b16a :evil:

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » December 27th, 2007, 12:17 pm

hmmm well I've seen 1 blacktop and 1 16v in an Ae86 with SAFCs locally I'll have to talk with the owners to get more info, cause I'm considering it in a silvertop auto application, together with normal bolt-ons I/H/E for a well performing daily driver

smokey1275
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby smokey1275 » January 3rd, 2008, 12:21 pm

in my opinion , pb's donot make sense on standard engines as they can only do so much over standard components . Their are no alterations in the physical dimensions or rather the amount of air and fuel being injected into and out of the motor. These systems work on varying the signal voltage back to the engine operating ecm. If you are trying to extract more out of a motor , in any application you will at first have to have good working knowledge of the systems under your hood and at what length it would be best to upgrade components as necessary.A apex'i system is nothing much more than a variable resistor of a different value that will communicate a different (and peripheral) voltage for the computer to use to compensate for an airfuel ratio at a certain rpm.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”