TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

Postby rottedv » August 22nd, 2011, 7:59 am

He said if he gets it original its going to cost me....So i'll look around first..

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 22nd, 2011, 10:23 am

I got my links in marabella union road.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » August 22nd, 2011, 10:44 am

my rear sway bar bushing keep ripping off, ive welded it a couple times before, probably too much offroading, i think that i will have to lengthen the links ti eliminate this problem....

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 22nd, 2011, 5:03 pm

I saw on another surf site when they off roading they does take the sway bar link off, so they can get more traction something like that.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » August 23rd, 2011, 8:58 am

yeah, more articulation cud result in more traction, wheels does come off the ground fast......

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 23rd, 2011, 8:09 pm

droppa wrote:yeah, more articulation cud result in more traction, wheels does come off the ground fast......

Thats probably why they keep braking....I got a set at Bobbys in the Bamboo...Says 4runner on the box so I bought the pair for $390.00. They were a shorter though by about a inch....Here is a pic I took with my phone

The one on the left is the new one and the one on the right is the one that came off the surf....It fit When I installed but I wonder about the effects....And its expensive so if it breaks that often whats the purpose of the bar and linkage...?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 23rd, 2011, 8:39 pm

IT should not be easy to break.
The 4 runner is different from the ln130.
When i first bought my shocks from bobbys the box had 4 runner, it was shorter and much slimer than the shocks i had on...i carried it back along with the old one.
I had the specs some where, it showed the difference between the two modle surfs. If it is shorter it might put more strain on the swaybar links it self.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 25th, 2011, 6:55 am

rottedv wrote:He said if he gets it original its going to cost me....So i'll look around first..

Yup Oem suspension parts are expensive ... But it's Oem, no need for mods and it'll last.

Rotted next time let me at least provide a quote bro... It might save you some stress later on.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » August 25th, 2011, 9:31 am

i think those are gonna cause some problems, esp if u lift and put on bigger tires, the surf need some good flex....with no hassle at all my rear wheels does come off the ground....and having open diffs in dat case is rel probs.....

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 25th, 2011, 7:42 pm

I think i'll take them off for the offroad run. So far its' been working ok. I have less body roll I think cause I never really paid much attention to it. When you take them off for offroading do you just leave the bar hanging or do you have to take the bar off as well?

Sweeks, still quote me bro....

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » August 26th, 2011, 11:01 am

hi guys, never knew about this post here.

i have a Diff for the 2003 hilux 4x4 for sale. toyota price is $20,000. mines is used but has no hum, or noise. asking $4000.

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 26th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Is that diff lsd? front or rear?

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm

rottedv wrote:Sweeks, still quote me bro....

OEM is TT$825

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 26th, 2011, 1:50 pm

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 26th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Ok guys did another mod today. I ran a on/off switch inside the surf for the electrical fan in front of the radiator so that I can put it on whenever I want. Not sure if it is a mod but the fan use to come on only with the a/c not the thermo switch. Pulled out the connector and the fan didn't come on. Apparently it was wired to come on with the a/c but not the temp. The electrician said that maybe that switch is for the heaters/glow plugs. But to me being able to control the fan maybe beneficial for 4 wheeling.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » August 26th, 2011, 9:59 pm

rottedv wrote:Ok guys did another mod today. I ran a on/off switch inside the surf for the electrical fan in front of the radiator so that I can put it on whenever I want. Not sure if it is a mod but the fan use to come on only with the a/c not the thermo switch. Pulled out the connector and the fan didn't come on. Apparently it was wired to come on with the a/c but not the temp. The electrician said that maybe that switch is for the heaters/glow plugs. But to me being able to control the fan maybe beneficial for 4 wheeling.

i did the same thing last yr. i have two fans at the front of my condenser with a manual switch on the dash. it helps a bit. but when you are so closely in love with your ute, it just give the driver a sense of relief that he knows shes being well cooled

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 27th, 2011, 6:57 am

Rotted you still doing the tranny cooler?

Sweeks how fasting going? I have been feeling extra drained this year,have not been to taraweeh salaat at all.
I thinking about going with an LN106 hilux what you think? What is the avg. price?
I saw some in really nice condition and not abused.

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 27th, 2011, 8:13 am

Sniper, now that I have the manual switch for the fan, I'm thinking that I'll put the tranny cooler in between the fan and the radiator. So when I'm 4 wheeling, I could switch on the fan and when I'm, not just use the normal draft of air coming in and being pulled by the clutch fan. I'll go with a small enough cooler so that unnecessary load will not be placed on the rad and excess cooling on the oil would not take place. I don't really like the idea of putting it through the cooler and then the rad again. I'm also thinking that I want to move the radiator closer to the clutch fan. Take a look at this pic

There is a little more than 35mm between the fan and the rad. I want to move it about 20mm closer so that the fan would be in the shroud and pull more efficiently. Also I would be making some space in front for the cooler. What you guys think?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 27th, 2011, 9:36 am

I really do not know about moving the radiator closer, will it affect the draft of air being pull through the radiator? If that was the original distance for the fan and radiator i will not change it.
My cooler was not between the fan and radiator,it was in front but at the side away from the radiator,just a little about 5 inches was covering the radiator,consider that option and put a fan on it, that way you will not have to block the flow of air to the radiator.

It makes a big difference in cooling if the flow of air to the radiator is blocked....remember you want to give first preference to the radiator not the cooler for the tranny. Think about it if you put the cooler in front of the radiator it will hamper the flow of air to the radiator and limit the amount of air the clutch fan can draft into the engine.

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 28th, 2011, 9:48 am

The idea that I was thinking of was to get better air flow through the rad by moving the fan closer to the rad or vice versa. Like taking your hand to the back of a conventional fan. The closer you go to the guard the stronger the pull.

As for the cooler, I got a small one from the parts place in penal for $250. I was thinking that the electric fan is already in front of the rad restricting air flow when it is not running. Then by putting the cooler in front of the fan I wouldn't be changing the original design much. If I remove the heat of the oil cooler within the rad then the water should remain cooler for a longer period. I think I'll give it a try and report back.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 28th, 2011, 10:29 am

Take pics.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 28th, 2011, 11:06 am

SNIPER 3000 wrote:Rotted you still doing the tranny cooler?

Sweeks how fasting going? I have been feeling extra drained this year,have not been to taraweeh salaat at all.
I thinking about going with an LN106 hilux what you think? What is the avg. price?
I saw some in really nice condition and not abused.

Fasting going good but keeping me very quiet. I'm not pushing it at all. We're almost there and before you know it' it'll be done and over.

My TAY lux is actually a YN106, the body isn't too hot but it's solid van and works well. I have another LN167 project (fully powered 3.0 5LE) in the pipeline. That van works great and the gear ratio is tighter than the SR5.

Will have to get rid of one of them by the end of September.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 28th, 2011, 2:35 pm

LN167....5LE NICE!
Sweeks, what transmission will work on those vans,do they ever come original with transmission?

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » August 29th, 2011, 9:07 am

rottedv, nice going with the switch mod bro....i actually did that on my jimny and when u stuck and revving hard in 4L, ur temp guage does start to walk, and u really needs some kinda help....i have the fan controller in the surf and cud not fit an extra fan anywhere between the rad and the clutch fan as i did on the jimny, so i put it in front the condenser and its controlled by the fan controller at switchable temperatures......what i does do to help too is disconnect the compressor and switch on the ac, so the ac fan also runs and aids in cooling......

u mite not have so much temp building as u have a smaller engine and ur ac is underslung.....

terry i pass down by u last week, but did not stop in, ur placed was locked up tight as usual.....

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 29th, 2011, 11:29 am

Droppa, where did you get that fan controller? I would like that as the automatic control and the switch as the manual bypass in case it gets faulty. Well I put the rad closer to the clutch fan so that the fan is in the shroud completely and you can feel the draft inwards if you put your hand in front of the rad. I got the space required for the cooler but will do that another day...Will share some pics later....I'll just name this part 1 of the complete mod that I want to do.

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 29th, 2011, 8:15 pm

After taking the van around for a spin (from la romain to trincity, with ac, without ac, highway driving, traffic driving, pressing for turbo use) I have noticed a few things. The temperature gauge got hotter than normal for a rainy day. It did not cross the halfway mark, just hotter than normal for the rain. Actually, my gauge has never even reached the halfway mark. The second thing is that in traffic the temp was actually dropping faster than normal but after a time the temp started to go back up. To me the fan was actually doing what I thought it would do closer to the rad ut because of the space I created between the bonnet seal and the rad heat from the engine and also the ac condenser was recirculated through the rad and resulted in the overall system being hotter tan normal. So to me I need to create that seal again by either moving the rad back to the original position or creating a shroud between the rad and where it was originally mounted. That part 2 of the mod. I think its better that way cause the space was created for the cooler and I am thinking to put a plate between the bonnet seal and the grille. That way all the air can be forced to the rad and hopefully result in better cooling....Pics to come.....What you guys think?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 29th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Droppa, you could of called.We does be inside... just bought a trampoline for young one for his Eid gift so i does be jumping too...he he.
Rotted so you moved the radiator closer?

You know a nice aluminum radiator and half your mods done.
The thing with the stock temperature gauge is it is hard to tell the real temperature, it just stays at one temperature for a while and then jumps. That is one of the reason for the temperature mod. But that mod in my opinion was more stress, it made you think the engine was overheating some times and some times running too cool..it reacted fast,too fast. Best thing is to get a digital gauge then you can really get a feel for the temperature at different driving conditions...and make mods to suit....but to go by the stock gauge it can be misleading.

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » August 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Yeah I know about the temp gauge but I'm being guided by the comparison on the Austrailian site for now as these fan controllers and digital temp gauges are tough to find.
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/tempgauge.htm

My gauge never passes quarter unless I'm in 4 wheel drive and then it goes close to the half mark.

Here are the pics of what I did but I put the rad back until I can make the shroud between the old mounting spot and the rad new position.

this is the space before I moved it.

I also cut these out for more air intake

These are the spacers I used. Got these from the links I bought for the rear.

This is after the spacers are installed.

This is after I cut the front in the grille to allow more air in.

This is the end result.

There is about enough space to fit the oil cooler that I got in front of the fan. Only until I get the shroud made the I can put the rad back with the spacers. I want to do the mod as described on the Aus site with the gauge but I don't have a soldering Iron and I don't trust many electricians here much less for mechanics. What you guys think?

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 5th, 2011, 3:08 pm

aye good work so far boi, i like the spacer idea, i had actually taut of doin dat before bcuz i wanted to add a fan inbetween the condenser and the radiator, i still looking at doing it....

imho what causes the heat to build up in the surf is the design of the radiator, its kinda long and the fan does not directly pull air from all of it, so there are what they call "hotspots" not the curfew type eh........and also the tranny oil cooler is routed there, but this needs to be there cause i have found from my own personal experience that once u are under 65degC, the converter "lock-up" does not kick in at 85kms, but a bit later on.....

this weekend going over the lopinot trails i clocked some 100degC, so wen we decided not to run it again i was in full support. in these situations my quick cool trick is to pull out the compressor plug and allow the condenser fan to run, thus adding some more air into the mix.......mind u, up there have some very steep inclines and some loose surfaces to ur revs are high but u aren't moving much....

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » September 5th, 2011, 3:12 pm

guys, got the white hilux sold, the ln167. its going to Paramin!

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”