TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Ultimate 1jz/2jz thread. all jz questions answered.

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The Ultimate 1jz/2jz thread. all jz questions answered.

Postby TeamH2O » November 7th, 2012, 11:53 am

JZs.....pffffft

superdve
Riding on 13's

Postby superdve » November 20th, 2012, 12:07 am

Guys very inspiring from my end of the planet..Detroit, MI, USA! Some nice builds. I'm doing a JDM Aristo swap her in the states right now and I'm wondering if anyone has been able to scan the JOBD data stream on the island over there and if so how did you do it. I'd like to know that I could do this on startup as I will be short on time to get ready for Hot Rod Power Tour. Please like and check out my build on FB. Dave Buckshaw, Fram/Prestone/Autolite brands. http://www.facebook.com/scrapyard6?ref=hl

Blacklisted D PAK
Street 2NR

Postby Blacklisted D PAK » March 18th, 2013, 1:01 am

By the way project 2jzgte vvti is done a few months now looking to do some up grades to the engine...
I.e aftermarket brain,throttle etc

Basically stock time to do some digging every thing else works well

Btw mind the dirty engine room that's an old pic will up date this soon

fafrumlosin
punchin NOS

Postby fafrumlosin » April 3rd, 2013, 11:12 am

i finished my 1j vvti conversion a few weeks now.. took a total of about a week and a half to get it in the car wired and running, the keep back was my driveshaft. strangely i notice my speedo works and this was by no way intentional of the electrician. i only have the jz ecu installed at the moment and have run an auxilary water temp gauge to monitor temp. car was an auto 3sge sxe10 and the jz is also auto.. still have some odds and ends to do like wire up the power switch and stuff but all in all very nice linear power from a stock engine.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 5th, 2013, 10:17 am

i got a question. lets say i got a lexus altezza with a beams engine, and i want to swap over to 2jz .
how much im expected to spend for the engine swap alone? not for brakes and all that other fun stuff

fafrumlosin
punchin NOS

Postby fafrumlosin » April 8th, 2013, 2:02 pm

2j range from 18-28k dependent on model and which transmission or box option. to get the engine in the car and wired, fuel lines, pump, intercooler and piping, rad an fan combo, exhaust, oils and little odds and ends approximately 10-15k again.

Shortcut Ltd
Ricer

Postby Shortcut Ltd » April 14th, 2013, 6:15 pm

I did my swap a couple months now. Still cannot get the Speedo or Water temp to work. Also my ABS light stays on on the instrument cluster. I modified the sump by cutting off just a little (no big loss in oil capacity). The engine mount brackets were also modified so as to push the engine back to accommodate the stock radiator fans. The original engine was a 1gfe so if anyone have solved the speedo problem please inform me. I am more than happy to answer any questions regarding the swap. Here is my install>>still a work in progress

seecarr11
3NE 2NR for life

Postby seecarr11 » April 22nd, 2013, 6:35 pm

swap looks good. my speedo works with my swap since i left the garage. Not sure what they did thou so i can't help u there sorry.
I did my swap 2 years ago, same mods with the engine brackets oils sump and driveshaft orignally, later i swaped those items with parts from a usdm IS300. improved my overall ride quality, especially with the taller is300 mounts.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 22nd, 2013, 7:05 pm

Where did you get those US parts? Import?

seecarr11
3NE 2NR for life

Postby seecarr11 » April 22nd, 2013, 8:51 pm

yeah ebay mostly. some from my.is. i have tons of pics but i never got around to do a build tread. usdm drive shaft (front) in pic. no adjustment required. figs race arms and toe link in second pic with TRD suspension. i wasn't there for the engine bracket and mount. install so no pics of that.. oil sump mod from graham B. i got the idea from him. but if u get a usdm oil pan or one from a jzx110(?) it should already have the contour u need to clear the cross member
Attachments
$T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgImbBQU8EZ0Zp!~~60_57.jpg
is300 front sump
IMG-20120914-00187s.jpg
fig's rca
IMG_0065.JPG
modded jzx100 front sump
IMG-20120914-00191s.jpg
is300 drive shaft installed

driftmaniacs
Riding on 13's

Postby driftmaniacs » April 30th, 2013, 7:24 am

Could a stock 1jz push out about 400 hp without mods? For high top end speed on a jz (over 240km) what you guys recommend?

Blacklisted D PAK
Street 2NR

Postby Blacklisted D PAK » April 30th, 2013, 7:56 am

A bit messy 4 my taste but getting there..:)

Blacklisted D PAK
Street 2NR

Postby Blacklisted D PAK » April 30th, 2013, 8:04 am

Shortcut Ltd
Ricer

Postby Shortcut Ltd » May 1st, 2013, 6:39 am

Did you take off the crash bar to fit the intercooler? if so, big mistake. You have no idea how much that protects the front of the car.

seecarr11
3NE 2NR for life

Postby seecarr11 » May 1st, 2013, 6:06 pm

Shortcut Ltd wrote:Did you take off the crash bar to fit the intercooler? if so, big mistake. You have no idea how much that protects the front of the car.

agreed. toyota put dem ting for a reason. but "crashcoolers" do look awesome. :P

driftmaniacs wrote:Could a stock 1jz push out about 400 hp without mods? For high top end speed on a jz (over 240km) what you guys recommend?

what do u mean by "stock" and "mods"? if you askin whether the internals could take it yeah sure.. but any jz that doing 400 would have been modded to some degree, 400 would be bpu+ mod category. (Think exhaust, intercooler, boost controller, ecu tune and maybe injectors) .

Stock jzs with the right ratios and good street tyres can make 220+ no problem. my 4.1 final does it with maybe 2000rpm still to go before redline.
but why bother? all u doing at them speeds is wasting gas and puttin yourself and everybody else at risk. you probably done put lengths on the fella anyway (yeah, i know :roll: :oops: )

imho, the race winner would have already been determined between 80-160km. sometimes, you could just watch a man overtake and know if he faster.. no sorry, that should be "has more power" than u.
Last edited by seecarr11 on May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toyota Trinidad Ltd
Riding on 13's

Postby Toyota Trinidad Ltd » May 2nd, 2013, 8:49 am

Just chiming in here;

The Toyota JZ engine family is a series of inline-6 automobile engines. A replacement for the M-series inline-6 engines, the JZ engines were 24-valve DOHC engines. The JZ engine was offered in 2.5 and 3.0 litre versions.

1JZ
The 2.5 L (2491 cc) 1JZ version was produced from 1990 to 2007 (last sold in the Mark II BLIT Wagon). Cylinder bore was 86 mm (3.39 in) and stroke was 71.5 mm (2.81 in).[1] It was a 24-valve DOHC engine with two belt-driven camshafts.

1JZ-GE
Output for the non-turbo 1JZ-GE was 200 hp JIS (147 kW) at 6000 rpm and 185 ft.lbf (250 Nm) at 4000 rpm.

Like all JZ-series engines, the early 1JZ-GE is designed for longitudinal mounting and rear-wheel-drive. All of these models also came with a 4-speed automatic transmission as standard; no manual gearbox option was offered.[1]

1JZ-GTE

First Generation 1JZ-GTE in a 1991 Toyota Chaser
Third Generation 1JZ-GTE VVTi in a 1989 Toyota CressidaThe 1JZ-GTE employs twin CT12A turbochargers arranged in parallel and blowing through a side-mount or front mount air-to-air intercooler . With an 8.5:1 static compression ratio, the factory quoted power and torque outputs are 280 metric horsepower (210 kW) at 6200 rpm and 363 newton metres (268 ft·lbf) at 4800 rpm respectively. These motors are over square (86.0mm bore x 71.5mm stroke). Yamaha may have had a hand in the development or production of these motors (possibly the head design), hence the Yamaha badging on certain parts of the motor, such as the cam gear cover. In 1991, the 1JZ-GTE was slotted into the all-new Soarer GT.

The early generation 1JZ-GTEs combined the inherent smoothness of an inline 6 cylinder engine with the revving capacity of its short stroke and early power delivery of its small, ceramic wheeled turbochargers. The ceramic turbine wheels are prone to delamination in the setting of high impeller rpm and local temperature conditions, usually a result of higher boost. The first generation 1JZ's were even more prone to turbo failure due to there being a faulty one-way valve on the head, specifically on the intake cam cover causing blow-by to go into the intake manifold. Also on the exhaust side a decent amount of oil vapor flows into the turbos causing premature wear on the seals. The later 2nd Gens had this problem fixed and in Japan there was actually a recall in order to repair the 1st Gens, though that does not apply to 1JZ's imported to other countries. The fix is simple, and involves replacement of the PCV valve (2JZ); all parts are available through Toyota.

The "third Generation" of 1JZs were introduced around 1996, still as a 2.5 turbo, but with Toyota's BEAMS architecture.[2] This included a reworked head, newly developed continuously variable valve timing mechanism (VVT-i) , modified water jackets for improved cylinder cooling and newly developed shims with a titanium nitride coating for reduced cam friction [3] . The turbo setup changed from parallel twin turbo (CT12x2) to a single turbo (CT 15B). The adoption of VVT-i and the improved cylinder cooling allowed the compression ratio to be increased from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1, making the 1JZ-GTE an interference engine[citation needed]. Even though the official power figures remained at 280 metric horsepower (210 kW) at 6200 rpm, torque was increased by 20Nm to 379 newton metres (280 ft·lbf) at 2400rpm. These improvements resulted in increased engine efficiency that reduced fuel consumption by 10%. The adoption of a much higher efficiency single turbocharger than the twins as well as different manifold and exhaust ports were responsible for most of the 50% torque increase at low engine speeds . This engine was used primarily in Toyota's X chassis cars (Chaser, Mark II, Cresta, Verossa), the Crown Athlete V (JZS170) and in the later JZZ30 Soarer, as the JZA70 Supra was long discontinued by this time.

Applications:

Toyota Chaser/Cresta/Mark II Tourer V (JZX81, JZX90, JZX100, JZX110)
Toyota Soarer (JZZ30)
Toyota Supra MK III (chassis code JZA70, Japan only)
Toyota Verossa
Toyota Crown (JZS170)

2JZ
The 3.0 L (2997 cc) 2JZ has been produced since 1991 (first released in the 1991 Toyota Aristo). Cylinder bore was 86 mm (3.39 in) and stroke was 86 mm (3.39 in). VVT-i variable valve timing was added later in 1997 for the 1998 model year.

2JZ-GE
The 2JZ-GE is a common version. Output is 220 hp JIS (158 to 169 kW) at 5800 to 6000 rpm and 209 to 220 ft.lbf (283 to 298 Nm) of torque at 3800 to 4800 rpm.

It uses Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection, has an aluminum head and 4 valves per cylinder with some versions using VVT-i, along with a cast iron cylinder block.

Applications:

Toyota Altezza / Lexus IS 300
Toyota Aristo / Lexus GS 300
Toyota Crown/Toyota Crown Majesta
Toyota Mark II
Toyota Chaser
Toyota Cresta
Toyota Progres
Toyota Soarer / Lexus SC 300
Toyota Supra MK IV
[edit] 2JZ-GTE

Engine bay of Supra JZA80The 2JZ-GTE is an inline-layout, six-cylinder, belt-driven
Source(s):
Wikipedia

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » May 18th, 2013, 3:23 pm

ok... since the inception of this thread, lots of ppl have done the jz swaps in all kinda ting.

anyone here worked on r154 personally?
Need some help in the assembly of the extension housing. ie the rear part of the box enclosing the output shaft.

call 761-2627 or pm

Thanks

seecarr11
3NE 2NR for life

Postby seecarr11 » May 19th, 2013, 12:21 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:ok... since the inception of this thread, lots of ppl have done the jz swaps in all kinda ting.

anyone here worked on r154 personally?
Need some help in the assembly of the extension housing. ie the rear part of the box enclosing the output shaft.

call 761-2627 or pm

Thanks

never worked on it personally but if i do, this is the way i'm going to make it work
r154 extension mod
http://my.is/forums/f114/r154-ultimate-auto-manual-swap-info-thread-379074/index9.html

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » May 19th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I am NOT referring to the shifter housing and placement.

I am referring to the extension housing. If u look at a parts manual u will see this part is the entire end casing rear of the sandwich plate.

Will have a read of that link wen I get some time later.

r154 from mk3 supra has the regularly placed shifter compared to the extended shifter of the late model soarers.

I have both of them on my work bench right now.
The insides are all the same except for the shifter mechanism and designs.

So my point is instead of making up shifters for ur application, swap the back of the gearbox, called the extension housing for the one u need.

My case it so happens i have an extended shifter and need short shifter for my car. Whereas a padna has short. But needs extended shifter. And i am not willing to swap gearbox.
I have agreed to swap the extension housing but stuck right now on reassembly. Need some tech advice on which gear the shift.fork has to be on when assembling to enable proper shifting of all gears when done.

The workshop manual for r154 is very blonde in this regard.

strokerturbo
Ricer

Postby strokerturbo » May 19th, 2013, 9:45 pm

a 2jzgte should pull a 280c good

seecarr11
3NE 2NR for life

Postby seecarr11 » May 22nd, 2013, 3:02 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:I am NOT referring to the shifter housing and placement.

I am referring to the extension housing. If u look at a parts manual u will see this part is the entire end casing rear of the sandwich plate.

r154 from mk3 supra has the regularly placed shifter compared to the extended shifter of the late model soarers.

So my point is instead of making up shifters for ur application, swap the back of the gearbox, called the extension housing for the one u need.

My case it so happens i have an extended shifter and need short shifter for my car. Whereas a padna has short. But needs extended shifter. And i am not willing to swap gearbox.
I have agreed to swap the extension housing but stuck right now on reassembly. Need some tech advice on which gear the shift.fork has to be on when assembling to enable proper shifting of all gears when done.

ah sorry. i misunderstood what you talking about. i follow what you mean now with the extenstion, similar to the way you would swap the bell housing to suit the engine that the transmission will mate with, just swap everything to the rear. i found some websites with the w58, r154 dissemebled just like u described a while back. if i remember correctly, i think the main issue they had was with the length of the output spline. dont quote me on that but i know that its the same issue with the a340 series transmissions that have the 3bolt ouptut connection (2jz-gte) verses the slip on yolk type on the 1jz-gte. i thought u could just swap the extension too...
anyway lemme find the link and post it up for discussion

seecarr11
3NE 2NR for life

Postby seecarr11 » May 22nd, 2013, 3:04 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:I am NOT referring to the shifter housing and placement.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » May 22nd, 2013, 8:24 pm

seecar..... yes the w58 and r154 are different.... I have two r154 right now... extended shifter, and short(normal) shifter... and yes its like swapping the bell housings...

I tried again to mount this ting this evening... all different configurations with gear selections, mounting and testing shifting.. when assembled, the friggin gears wont shift.... no movement at all...

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » June 3rd, 2013, 11:59 am

Got tru.

If u need help/info, pm

Time to push 800 tru it :P

redsupra101
2NRholic

Postby redsupra101 » June 3rd, 2013, 1:46 pm

cutthroatInt wrote:Got tru.

If u need help/info, pm

Time to push 800 tru it :P

post the info?
im sure it will come in handy to someone else in the future.

thx.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » June 3rd, 2013, 1:59 pm

^^ slime, it kinda hard to do a write up on it..

its basically the shift fork has to be under tension from the spring loaded pin (which is opposite to the reverse gear resistance ball) while the gear select forks are positioned so that gear 5 is activated.

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » June 6th, 2013, 10:27 pm

what about a 1jz in an L200(one like cutthroatInc pic) hmmmmmm, namely mine :)

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 6th, 2013, 10:45 pm

reddo_tuner wrote:what about a 1jz in an L200(one like cutthroatInc pic) hmmmmmm, namely mine :)
hell yes!

TeamH2O
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TeamH2O » June 6th, 2013, 10:52 pm

R154 box says bye bye with 600+lbs of torque. So 800hp on it, might also help it go boom

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 6th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Anyone knows the latest prices on engines and gearbox/tranny?

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”