Friday, August 1st, 2014

- It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Jump to:  

FURIOUSBENNY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:42 am 
3NE 2NR for life

Okay people, I have a PAS Ae 80 with the original (from new) 2A engine in it.. The engine working real good but recently the return spring( pull back spring ) for the carb start to play d ass.

The spring get weak and the previous owner cut it to add tension but it still playing up.So i want to know what carb I can replace with or where I can get a replacement spring or carb kit?

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Hook
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 am 
3NE 2NR Moderator

Many times it's simply wear on the butterfly valve shaft that prevents the throttle from returning to the closed position. The easiest fix is to put a stronger spring on it, but eventually this will wear as well. I was never able to find a rebuild kit that included that shaft...was always just gaskets, plunger etc.

On my ae80 I used a spring that looked like this...most auto supply places have this

FURIOUSBENNY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:20 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Thanks for the information Hook.. I actually bought one of those replacement springs alraedy but I find they were very soft and weak compared to the original one so I took it back.. I just went to check a man with a 3 A engine, carb looks same tom my untrained eye and I checked the shaft and return spring and they work great..So I may consider taking this if I can confirm it will work..

So how did this replacement spring hold out on you carb?

Hook
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:26 pm 
3NE 2NR Moderator

Worked fine since I only needed a little push again to close the valve. Car was sold with it.

toybago
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:51 pm 
Sweet on this forum

just a lil warning though, a stronger return spring will make your ex pedal harder

toyotajumbie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:24 pm 
Trinituner Peong

Location: Seeking Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding by the Grace of GOD
It sounds like the butterfly shaft has some wear, if the carb is working well otherwise it should be scrapped and the shaft and lower section of the carb taken to a QUALIFIED machinist who can polish the shaft and make a suitable sized bushing for it. That should solve that problem.

FURIOUSBENNY
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:00 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Oh thanks for this advice but I tested the spring itself and it really bad..The butterfly also does have some "play" but not much..Two different mechanics also told me it was ther spring after I drew that same conclusion..

FURIOUSBENNY
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:28 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Well at last I got ah "good spring".. I still want to see about the butterfly thouh, Toyotajumbie, can u recommend a good mechanist to assist me as you suggested and maybe a good old school mechanic to adjust my carb etc!

buzz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:14 pm 
18 pounds of Boost

toyotajumbie wrote:
It sounds like the butterfly shaft has some wear, if the carb is working well otherwise it should be scrapped and the shaft and lower section of the carb taken to a QUALIFIED machinist who can polish the shaft and make a suitable sized bushing for it. That should solve that problem.

True but IMO screw "qualified" machinist rather than a reputable machinist, because many out here are qualified yes but either lack ingenuity, patience, or simply rush your job.

OP if you're serious you can PM me and i'll give you a contact for the machinist that does my work.

When I did my 3A to 7A swap he handled all my piping work, adapter plate for fuel pump installation, TIG welded, drilled and tapped my busted sump pan, the list goes on...

FURIOUSBENNY
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:36 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

Thanks for all the info fellars, I get thru...Working bess now...Did over the butterfly shaft and also got an original strong spring....