TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Re: My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)

Postby acesinghit » July 15th, 2013, 7:40 am

Do you have any dyno data for whp at stock vs current?

any acceleration numbers? GVW increase by how much?

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » July 18th, 2013, 3:16 am

acesinghit wrote:Do you have any dyno data for whp at stock vs current?

any acceleration numbers? GVW increase by how much?

I haven't been on the dyno yet unfortunately. Definitely planning on it though 8-)

I fitted some facelift tail lights today....again. I think this is the 3rd time I've fitted a set and then changed my mind a few days later and gone back to the pre-facelift orange/red set, but this time I think I'm going to stick with them. Not sure what's changed but I really like how the facelift set makes the car look a lot more modern, so they're likely here to stay :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 17th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I decided to splash out and buy this genuine TRD oil cap today. It was something I had been wanting for a while but couldn't justify spending the money on since all it really does compared to the stock one is sit there looking pretty, but now that I finally have the engine bay looking the way I wanted I figured that the cap would be a nice finishing touch :)

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » August 18th, 2013, 7:35 am

:lol: that's the very same reason why I refuse to buy one myself yet...looks great though

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 18th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Haha, thanks man :D

I bought a small external microphone for my camera a few weeks ago, purely so I can record the sound of the trumpets by placing the microphone under the hood, and today I decided to make a quick video to test it out. It definitely sounds better than previous in-car footage I've taken with the camera's built-in mic, but it's quite a cheap/budget product so I may look at investing in a better quality microphone so it can capture the true sound the trumpets make during full acceleration, but for now this will do :)

http://youtu.be/Xo5IbRhh7TM

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » August 18th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Very nice! :cool:

Wanna shoot us some details about your FPR set up?

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 18th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Hook wrote:Very nice! :cool:

Wanna shoot us some details about your FPR set up?

Yeah sure, I posted info and pics near the bottom of page 3 :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 26th, 2013, 12:21 am

I came across some info online a couple of weeks ago about a few different people in Malaysia using a 6-speed ECU with their 5-speed Blacktops and noticing a slight increase in power/response, so when I stumbled across a 6-speed Blacktop ECU a few days ago for a good price I decided to test it out for myself.

The 6-speed ECU is meant to have better fuel mapping, better engine response, a raised rev limiter and a safety function which makes the engine idle up for a second when changing up or down a gear at a certain rpm, which helps to protect the 6-speed's synchro's and reduces driveline lash.

I swapped the ECU over today but before doing so took my car for a drive with the 5-speed ECU still fitted to see what my current rev limiter was before the engine would valve bounce. In 1st gear it was about 8,300rpm and in 2nd and 3rd gear it was 8,250rpm. After I installed the 6-speed ECU and went for a decent drive I tried it again and noticed that in all the gears I tested (1st, 2nd and 3rd) the rev limiter was now 8,500rpm. Prior to the swap I had heard that the 6-speed ECU would hit the limiter at 7,800rpm in 1st gear, but this wasn't the case in my experience (bearing in mind that I am however running the 5-speed C56 transmission).

The engine response does seem slightly quicker but nothing mind blowing, however the slightly increased rev limiter comes in handy when changing gear at high rpm as every little bit helps to keep it within the power band after shifting. The 6-speed ECU is also meant to be a bit more economical on fuel but I haven't been able to test that as of yet.

All in all it does have it's advantages over the 5-speed ECU and for the price I paid it was certainly worth it :)

These are some photos I took before the swap, with the 5-speed ECU on the left and the 6-speed ECU on the right:

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » September 11th, 2013, 3:19 am

I added another rare optional extra to my collection today when I happened to come across an OEM factory option rubber moulded trunk organizer. I've seen this shown in the sales brochures but this is the first one I've ever seen in real-life. It is shaped perfectly for the sedan's trunk and has 3 separate partitions to ensure items don't slide around during transit, plus since it's made of rubber it's a breeze to clean :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » September 21st, 2013, 4:38 am

It's been a while since I've taken a photo of my car so here's a random shot I took today:

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » September 23rd, 2013, 12:12 am

I completed my brake set-up today by installing some braided brake lines. They're made by a company in Australia called Safebrake and are a direct replacement for the factory rubber brake lines. I originally ordered a set of Goodridge braided lines from the US but when they arrived they were for the rear drum brake model, and unfortunately Goodridge don't cater to models outside of the US so there was no rear disc brake version available.

After a bit of research I found these Safebrake lines and got them sent over last week. The quality is superb and they meet/exceed all the necessary legal requirements. During my test drive after the install I noticed that the brakes were much more responsive when I stepped on the pedal. There's no lag or hesitation when braking any more, so I feel as though I can brake later and more aggressively if needs be. Definitely an improvement over the rubber brake lines, and one more thing to get added to my certification plate in the near future :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » October 12th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I added another item to my TRD collection this weekend by installing a TRD quick shifter. It was specifically designed to fit the AE101 series 5-speed Corollas and was discontinued quite a while ago, but thankfully I managed to get my hands on one last week.

The installation was relatively straight forward as it's a direct replacement for the factory shift lever, and I was finally able to use the OEM leather shift boot I've had sitting here for a while which came on the 6-speed models, as previously it would pop right out of the console every time I changed into 2nd, 4th or reverse as the factory throw was too long.

Gear changes are now much quicker due to the reduced throw and the actual feel of the shifter is a lot better. Previously it would "slop" into gear, but now you can actually feel the gears engage. Admittedly it takes a little bit more effort to change gears but in my opinion it makes shifting feel more satisfying. The actual height of the lever is about the same as stock and it compliments the TRD leather shift knob I've been rocking for a while :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » November 27th, 2013, 2:14 am

A couple of small updates on the sedan - I fitted this roof spoiler and a larger ducktail spoiler a couple of days ago. They're both quite subtle enhancements but seem to work well with the rest of the lip kit:

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » December 7th, 2013, 7:37 pm

A few shots from a quick shoot I did today:

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » January 8th, 2014, 5:02 pm

I fitted some new wheels yesterday. They're 16x8, 15p offset, 3" chrome lip with gunmetal spokes, slight stretch with 195/45 tires and sit flush as f*ck with the aid of some front and rear camber adjustment. Loving the new look :)

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » January 8th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Dammmmm looks sick bro

Monster 101
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Monster 101 » January 8th, 2014, 9:55 pm

nice!!!!! :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » January 11th, 2014, 1:53 am

Thanks guys!! :D

I went for a bit of a photoshoot a few hours ago. Been really enjoying these wheels since I got them a couple of days ago so thought I'd take some decent photos:

20vablactop
Street 2NR

Postby 20vablactop » January 11th, 2014, 4:13 am

Impressive...
Car looks amazing

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » January 20th, 2014, 1:14 am

Thanks man! :)

My latest addition are these sweet looking velocity stack stickers I got sent over from Australia. I find they give the car a little bit more character and are a subtle way of indicating what's under the hood:

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » January 20th, 2014, 1:22 am

Should be been a snail. *Hint hint*

sonygoup
Riding on 16's

Postby sonygoup » January 20th, 2014, 1:31 am

This car jus mad sexy yyo..sigh

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » January 30th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Hook... .thanks for the heads up on this BEAUTIFUL project build.

*tips hat to OP....

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » February 2nd, 2014, 12:24 am

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the support :D

A few small updates from the past few days:

* I had the timing belt, water pump + rear hose, VVT pulley, tensioner, idler pulley and both drive belts replaced on Friday. The timing belt had been done in the past but when I got the engine there was nothing more than a faint outline of where the sticker used to be on the cam cover, so rather than lose sleep at night I decided to get it replaced and did the VVT pulley at the same time (no more rattly diesel noise at idle!). It was a pretty pricey exercise but for the peace of mind alone it was definitely worth it.

* On Friday I fitted some 'TWINCAM 20' stickers that arrived from Australia. After putting them on I immediately regretted not putting them up a little bit higher, so being as fussy as I am, I ordered some more and will have another crack at it once they arrive. All in all I definitely like the look though.

* Last but not least, today I installed a Pivot Speed Meter. This little device gets hooked up to the ECU's speed signal to remove the factory speed limiter and digitally displays your current speed, with the ability to measure the G-force under acceleration/deceleration and your 1/4 mile time.

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » February 2nd, 2014, 12:49 pm

*jizz*

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » February 6th, 2014, 1:34 am

I took advantage of the public holiday here and the overcast weather and went out to take some more photos:

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » February 8th, 2014, 7:02 pm

wow.....!...

Dont like this model...but wow...looks great..!

how often do u wash and wax this car?....

Guess this isnt your everyday ride....

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » February 11th, 2014, 2:38 pm

*$kїđž!™ wrote:wow.....!...

Dont like this model...but wow...looks great..!

how often do u wash and wax this car?....

Guess this isnt your everyday ride....

Thanks :). I'll take that as even more of a compliment considering you don't like them to begin with :lol:

The car usually gets washed about once a week, and waxed every 6-months or so. It was my daily driver for the last 4-years up until late last year when I bought a '92 FX-GT as a daily driver. Now this one usually only gets driven on sunny days, or when I don't have to leave it in a parking lot for more than 5-minutes :D

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 11th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Pics of the FX-GT?

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » February 25th, 2014, 3:38 am

Hook wrote:Pics of the FX-GT?

Yeah sure :)

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”