TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

rav 4 97' 3s-fe 4 wheel drive engine burning oil

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shottaboilife
Street 2NR

rav 4 97' 3s-fe 4 wheel drive engine burning oil

Postby shottaboilife » July 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm

helppp!!!

i have a rav4 97' 3s-fe engine 4 wheel drive thats burning oil terribly, i am currently using gtx 20w-50

i was told by a mechanic to switch oil to valvoline and if it continues , i would have to do an engine job, ring change out etc,...

the cost is alot ,, for me..

i was wondering what's the best price i can get on a foreign use engine for my vehicle, shipped and everything, in the event i need to do an engine job i may as well switch engine.

anyone who has any ideas as to what i should do or help in sourcing an engine, please feel free to drop a comment..

russ

maZdaspeed6
3NE 2NR for life

Re: rav 4 97' 3s-fe 4 wheel drive engine burning oil

Postby maZdaspeed6 » July 14th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Check pcv valve or add a duralube oil treatment a little at a time...switch 2 amsoil 20 w 50 or valvoline 20 w 50

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » July 15th, 2012, 11:50 am

Is that the original 3S-FE that it came with back in 1997?
Is it blowing smoke? If yes, under what conditions? Under load, or only when you pull off from a dead stop?
What's the mileage on the odometer?
Did your mechanic do a compression test and/or a leak down test to determine the condition of the engine before suggesting switching brands of oil?

A brand new 3S-FE out of a crate would cost much more than your vehicle is worth (call TTTL and ask if you're bored and need a laugh), so you'll likely end up with a bamboo head and block that'll be almost as old, then start giving the same problems within a year.
I don't mean to sound grim, but many people (including myself) put themselves in that position and either end up spending more than the cost of a rebuild with twice the downtime just patching holes and putting on plasters or going through heads and blocks looking for a good one. Few are lucky enough to get a head and block in really good condition that lasts 'til they're ready to sell, on the first try, especially with an older vehicle.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while again, do some research and determine what parts you'll need and what it'll cost and save your rupees for a rebuild.

shottaboilife
Street 2NR

Postby shottaboilife » January 2nd, 2016, 7:46 pm

Thanks

trini iceman
Trinituner Peong

Postby trini iceman » January 5th, 2016, 11:44 am

Hook needs a standing ovation. If the engine smoking underload especially, rings are the culprit, if it's just at first start up and eases up valve seal is issue. Parts easy to get locally? You may not need to change bearings if you maintenance schedule was good. I would do a refresh the internals but I crazy enough to do it myself.

shottaboilife
Street 2NR

Postby shottaboilife » January 5th, 2016, 4:43 pm

I sold this vehicle a few years ago after I fixed the engine, it cost me about 3 or 4 k to fix, it was fun, while I had it, I once shut down rio Claro with it while on my way to moondrop resort down at mayaro, it was due to a bad alternator, I pushed him down a hill and started him in gear, fun times, also got an alternator for about 1500 I believe.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”