TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Mishi's Blog: About timing belts and Mitsubishi...FYI

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

greall
Street 2NR

Postby greall » October 30th, 2008, 1:18 pm

A damn good post... :!:

I just got a PBH Libero and changed all of the belts last Saturday after the power steering belt burst and I was nearly stranded on a back road in Princes Town.

My cars tend to give problems within the first two weeks of my ownership and I took some talk from the mechanic for not checking the belts when I got the car.

A friend at Diamond Motors is locating some of the most commonly used spare parts for me like belts so I'll have all of them changed again just for my piece of mind.

Right now,the electrician's telling me that the voltage's high so I'm going to have the alternator taken down and serviced shortly.

Gre

sharkmouth
Trinituner Peong

Re: Mishi's Blog: About timing belts and Mitsubishi...FYI

Postby sharkmouth » September 20th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Timing belt burst on a 4d56 engine at 80 kmph,3000 rpms or so....pulled over because i saw some white smoke in rear view and smell of rubber burning....checked engine no sign of damage...didn't know about timing belts then...restarted engine.......ended up bending camshaft, damaged arms, bent valves cost me a good change...but make sure to go professional mechanic unlike me who had to spend double money because the mechanic do a bad job....i hate those fly by night mechanics so bad ehh.....i learned my lesson now....always seek professional ,reputable help

sharkmouth
Trinituner Peong

Re:

Postby sharkmouth » September 20th, 2010, 7:51 pm

greall wrote:A damn good post... :!:

I just got a PBH Libero and changed all of the belts last Saturday after the power steering belt burst and I was nearly stranded on a back road in Princes Town.

My cars tend to give problems within the first two weeks of my ownership and I took some talk from the mechanic for not checking the belts when I got the car.

A friend at Diamond Motors is locating some of the most commonly used spare parts for me like belts so I'll have all of them changed again just for my piece of mind.

Right now,the electrician's telling me that the voltage's high so I'm going to have the alternator taken down and serviced shortly.

Gre

If your voltage high it could mean the diodes on the alternator failing...dunno if that can be repaired...g/l

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » September 20th, 2010, 8:35 pm

sharkmouth wrote:Timing belt burst on a 4d56 engine at 80 kmph,3000 rpms or so....pulled over because i saw some white smoke in rear view and smell of rubber burning....checked engine no sign of damage...didn't know about timing belts then...restarted engine.......ended up bending camshaft, damaged arms, bent valves cost me a good change...but make sure to go professional mechanic unlike me who had to spend double money because the mechanic do a bad job....i hate those fly by night mechanics so bad ehh.....i learned my lesson now....always seek professional ,reputable help

more than likely the damage was long done before you tried to restart it. At that RPM the valves would already have impacted the piston and bent em... Restarting just finished the job.

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » September 21st, 2010, 11:15 am

^^^happened with my K10 March, which put the nail in it's coffin. i personally worked on the repairs with the mechanic, and it's running well with my lil bro. kinda sad story, but i bought me a CS3A :twisted:

just past 70,000km mark, looking to change belts soon. good read, MISHI

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » September 21st, 2010, 3:56 pm

Just some random info, the gates belts are available at Ausco on Charles Street, Port of Spain.
The same as the OEM, and cheaper than the firm.

triniangie
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby triniangie » September 28th, 2010, 2:08 pm

really good info in here

changed (well the mechanic did - Wendell @ Courtesy in Boundary Road) - timing belt, seals and mounts early this year when i got to the 100K mark... changed the transmission soon after

what's the deal with the transmission with these cars? is it the way the diver handles the vehicle or a 'ting' with Lancer?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » September 28th, 2010, 2:18 pm

^^ Mostly shoddy maintenance. Was tranny fluid changed on time and with the correct fluid?

triniangie
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby triniangie » September 28th, 2010, 2:31 pm

yup... but i jus thought it was his time really n maintenance wasn't the issue

(don't ask what fluid cause i dnt hav my 'car log book' on me :oops: )

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » September 28th, 2010, 2:48 pm

^^ I wasn't throwing that directly at you angie.

What a lot of people fail to realise are that foreign used vehicles despite how new it looks or smells is used, and by used i mean abused basically. If you bought a car and knew that the maximum you would keep this car is 5 years, how important is maintenance.
When imported the last thing that any dealer would worry about is proper maintenance, changing of all fluids and defective parts would cut into profits and slow down turnover.

*(Bearing in mind you own a fu, if not sorry) :lol:

carmelo
Sweet on this forum

Re:

Postby carmelo » January 29th, 2012, 1:42 pm

MISHI wrote:
saltydog wrote:I seem to remember that the old 4g63 N/a in the galant were low compression NON interference engines. belt burst no problem just replace the belt and off you go.

U sure?

Far as I remember all mitsubishi engines from even early days with timing belts were interface engines... I could be wrong though..

that is correct even when i had my old sirius 2000 we often had to change timing belts and tensioner ...

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » January 14th, 2014, 12:19 pm

i'm using the Gates Power Grip T belts..! excellent quality

SweeP
Chronic TriniTuner

Re:

Postby SweeP » January 18th, 2014, 8:25 pm

saltydog wrote:I seem to remember that the old 4g63 N/a in the galant were low compression NON interference engines. belt burst no problem just replace the belt and off you go.

i knw in dem old time galant that have the saturn 4g32(1600cc) engine is that when the belt burst the engine doh damage, is to replace an go again. I remembered long time ago drivin with my father and the belt burst on the valencia stretch,he pull out ah used belt from the trunk, throw it on an we gone again.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 18th, 2014, 11:11 pm

^ I think you're talking about a used fan belt. Not a timing belt :lol:

SweeP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby SweeP » January 19th, 2014, 12:28 am

:lol: nah he does keep he used fan an timing belt fuh emergency but it was the timing belt. I even recently changed it myself,original engine too ehh 35 years an still going..

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”