TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Noisy hydraulic tappets & Mitsu related *hiccups*

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » August 19th, 2009, 5:14 pm

u did all dat on ure own? or your mechanic do that?

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » August 19th, 2009, 5:41 pm

on my own............ only trust me on this engine.......

the most a mech does for me is install the engine

robbie4774
Riding on 13's

Postby robbie4774 » September 29th, 2009, 10:26 pm

MitsuMan,dude, i need that web site for the manual, i have a 1999 4g15 lancer!

Morpheus23
Riding on 16's

Postby Morpheus23 » September 30th, 2009, 1:23 am

robbie4774 wrote:MitsuMan,dude, i need that web site for the manual, i have a 1999 4g15 lancer!

Check at the top of the page in the sticky topics section
http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... p?t=151898

Jahyouth
Riding on 13's

Postby Jahyouth » October 24th, 2009, 1:18 am

Hey I just wanted to know after 56 pages...if anyone can remember how they got rid of the tappet noise??

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » October 24th, 2009, 8:00 am

xtech wrote:i have removed air breeder lines from the tappit cover to the intake.

Installed a oil catch can. :lol:

That thing spits up alot of oil into the intake an gunks up the system.

I have also blocked the EGR plumbing so even less raw carbon going into the head.

changed the oil with a Havolene 20w-50 Mineral blend then added a can of engine restorer to lube things up

Yes this engine is going to last me a very long time.

No more tick tick tick tick for months now.

see bold writing

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » October 24th, 2009, 1:42 pm

and look it here too in caps.....ENGINE RESTORER

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » November 27th, 2009, 4:26 pm

hi. i love galants. Not a very popular car here in singapore and the only local galant club has closed down and all of its members have sinced moved on to other rides.

From my reads in this forum, looks like most of you got your cars from us from 2nd hand exports. I had exported one VR-M and one VR-G Galant but i have no idea if they have landed on your shores. I am still driving another galant (ya i know the 3rd one!). It is the VR which is just a vr4 kitted version of the 2.0 GDI.

seeing how popular these cars are in your country, do you have local shops that sell body kits, triple lamp headlights, ganador mirros,evo style carbon hood and altezza style tail lamps for the galant? Seeing as how cars are so cheap in T&T compared to over here, perhaps your accesories would be equally affordable for me! Anyone could be kind enough to point me to some website links or shops or people to call? :wink:

Oh and mine is at 5 years and 130k km now with no tappet noise. only parts i have changed are all timing, alternator and aircon belts and i have owned the car from brand new. Runs on fully synthetic KIC racing oil from japan and 95/98 RON petrol. (not the same as USA Octane ratings) curious, what kind of petrol do you have in T&T? Is it really so full of sulphur and low RON that it causes so much problems with the GDI engine? very interesting to hear about this tappet problem and maybe i may encounter it in the near future. But you guys seem to have found a great solution already. Many thanks in advance~ :D

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » November 27th, 2009, 7:01 pm

the 1st shipments of used GDI Galants to arrive here were fed high sulphur gasoline for about 6 years so they gave lots of trouble an made lots of tappit noise from the carbon build up....... the mechanics did no how to fix them so they said it was the worst engine out of Japan ever.
:( :( :(

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » November 28th, 2009, 4:46 am

:D ya i guess then those were from singapore? Our petrol content is still high in sulphur compared to japan. But surprisingly my tappets arent working up yet? could the problem be coupled with the engine oil you guys use?

so whats the RON rating of petrols u have available there and how high is your sulphur content? japan's laws limits it at 50ppm. Singapore limits our petrols to 150ppm just for a rough gauge.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » November 28th, 2009, 7:05 am

people used the cheaper low RON super leaded fuel instead of the premium unleaded and plus poor maintenance by the mechanics.

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » November 28th, 2009, 5:24 pm

oh... well.... most galant owners i know from the ex singapore galant club pump premium unleaded 98 ron. And leaded petrol is banned in singapore. so do u have any ricer modded galants over there? Im looking for bodykits and the works~

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » November 28th, 2009, 8:46 pm

actually the early 2nd hand used galants were imported from Japan........and yes many used leaded super.....I used strictly premium on mine and was worry free for a few years........

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » December 10th, 2009, 5:40 am

here got something off another site. hope it answers some questions on the mitsu GDi.

1. The GDi engine was designed to run on Japanese low/no sulphur petrol. Using higher-sulphur EU and US petrol you get clogging of the injector tips (which are in the combustion chamber) with sulphur deposits which disrupts the spray pattern and leads to localised carbonisation in the cylinder head. Mitsubishi sell an sulphur solvent additive to help prevent this. 97RON Ultimate is lower sulphur and so there is less of problem if you used this. Its not the higher octane which is really the issue - direct-injection tend to be much more fuel-tolerant than premix injection engines because the injected fuel directly cools the cylinder - so less tendency to knock.
2. The main problem with the GDi engine is the EGR. In a conventional 'premix' injection engine the fuel/air mixture is inside the inlet manifold. EGR gasses are added into the manifold and the fuel/air mixture acts a solvent and prevents EGR deposits from sticking to the manifold walls. In a direct-injection engine there is no fuel at all in the inlet manifold and carbonised oil particles from the EGR stick to the walls. Over a period of time this builds into a thick crust which affects the running of the engine. This happens irrespective of the type of petrol used. It has to be cleaned off with a crushed walnut shell blast.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » December 10th, 2009, 8:39 am

i posted that info here in this thread a fews ago.
And I blocked of that EGR valve years ago as well.

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » December 10th, 2009, 1:27 pm

any effects? drop/increase in power/consumption? your intake still clean as a whistle? and my dealer doesnt carry "mitsu's sulphur solvent". what sh1t dealership is this? :evil:

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » December 11th, 2009, 5:23 am

nope no ill effects........an i even removed the rubber hoses which plug the head into the intake. Installed a oil catch can on that. Fills up very quickly :?

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » December 12th, 2009, 7:49 am

interesting.......I now see that info, but I do remember xtech blocking off the egr......

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » January 29th, 2010, 8:47 pm

For the E-Throttle GDI Galants and Lancers

Last edited by xtech on June 16th, 2010, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rah
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rah » January 30th, 2010, 2:16 am

E throttle Issues! Xtech i was helping a friend recently to fix the e throttle issue. A lot of electricians and mechanics stick the magnets, but they drop off within 3- 18 Months (depending on epoxy used, Km travelled etc). I located a mechanic in Cunupia who secures the magnets after sticking them so they won't drop out. I got a used Throttle body with good magnets and carried it for him to secure, only to find out that the throttle body's magnets were already secured straight from the factory. It is a Throttle body off of a 2004 Galant and apparently Mitsubishi realised the problems they were giving and improved on them. This Throttle body has a very thin sheet of something that looks like a Metal, wrapped around the magnets very tightly. I was quite impressed! Basically if you are having this issue you can get the magnet secured or try getting a used one from a newer series of Galant ........Oh you can also try to purchase one new, approximately $ 7500.....
On a related note i think the epoxys that most people use to stick the magnets are too weak. I wonder if anybody ever tried a tube of JB Weld! Google it, works well at very high temperatures and is notoriously strong!

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » January 30th, 2010, 9:25 am

WOW, excellent vid there xtech!!!!!

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » March 3rd, 2010, 4:52 am

anyone knows if the galant comes with cabin filters? Apparently my mech says old cars dun have any aircon or cabin filters. Thats bull sheit right? i can find cabin filters for US spec galants, how is it possible jdm spec ones do not have cabin filters? :evil:

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Noisy hydraulic tappets & Mitsu related *hiccups*

Postby ~Vēġó~ » June 16th, 2010, 1:12 pm

bump to a decent thread!!!

july
Street 2NR

Postby july » June 23rd, 2010, 11:16 am

how long yuh running the treatment, b/c i getting the same problem so i change the oil (AMZOIL) the noise went but now it starting back 4g93T.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » August 8th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Bumping thread back from the dead with some horror GDI pics

decarbonize, decarbonise [diːˈkɑːbəˌnaɪz]
vb
(Engineering / Automotive Engineering) (tr) to remove carbon from (the walls of the combustion chamber of an internal-combustion engine) Also decoke decarburize
decarbonization , decarbonisation n
decarbonizer , decarboniser n

4G9x GDI Engine before decarbonizing

Pistons

Clumps of greasy carbon build up everywhere..........stop this with oil catch can an shutting the EGR valve. Take not 4G93GDi-T drivers........imagine if your turbo leaking oil
Look at that........yes wonder why the engine dead........an low on power look how clogged these ports can get

GDI Injector can be seen in this one..........very dirty

So guys clean your engines........inside and outside

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » August 8th, 2011, 6:53 pm

^^WoW!! That engine was "running" still?

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » August 8th, 2011, 7:14 pm

yes engine was still running.........but much reduced power an drinking gas like a V6

dont worry its not mine......I got those pics of a Russian site
all GDIs from any maker even those 2011 versions in these new models they all suffer this same faith.

Delivers all promises about fuel consumption an high power when its new but after a few years of use they will sputter away an then die.

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby altec » August 9th, 2011, 9:58 am

would there be problems if the hose doing from the engine cover to the intake (before the throttle body) is blocked off? I noticed that it gunks up the butterfly valve over time.

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » December 5th, 2011, 1:03 pm

mine still returns about 12km/l on 18 inch wheels and gives decent power. vibrations at idle is quite bad though.... Should i be worrying about these horror pictures? Labour is ex in singapore and i hate to pay to open up my engine and viola nothing inside.....

any quick way to remove a hose or something to take a peek into my injector or intake area? My throttle body seems quite clean.

on 180 000 km now and going strong.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » August 8th, 2012, 8:07 am

Information Overload for the new Generation of GDI owners

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”