TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

lancer gl sump bolt turning but not coming out!

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shabbycart
Ricer

lancer gl sump bolt turning but not coming out!

Postby shabbycart » November 16th, 2023, 5:02 pm

Hi all,

Came to change the oil on my inlaws old lancer gl 1998 1.3 today.
Started turning the sump bolt and it just turned and turned, didn´t loosen at all or change torque/come out.

I thought omg not this again (happened on an old alfa romeo about 15 yrs ago where an oil change station had over tightened the bolt which has another holding nut inside, not a thread in the sump , they had bent the holding pins for that nut so the entire sump had to be removed).

Has this old engine sump got a nut inside held by a few clamps on the inside of the sump? This is why it just spins and does not come out?
If so then the last oil change idiot has over tightened it!! Which will require me to remove the sump!!
:o :o :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue:

shabbycart
Ricer

Re: lancer gl sump bolt turning but not coming out!

Postby shabbycart » November 16th, 2023, 7:31 pm

Beginning to think the inside thread part is welded on to the pan and it has come lose? If so I´m in trouble no? My alfa had a nut in place inside a clamp so was easy to fix.

If anyone can tell me what the inside thread part is like that would be great thanks.

shabbycart
Ricer

Postby shabbycart » November 18th, 2023, 7:24 pm

Worked on the car today.
Got the pan off. Had to loosen the exhaust manifold a little to get it off around the oil pump.

Now I have the drain plug stuck in the pan. Thread is knackered by the looks of it. Just turns but won´t come out.
Not sure how to remove it yet. Sent a message to a mechanic to see if he can remove the plug, re-thread it and put a new plug in it.

shabbycart
Ricer

Postby shabbycart » November 20th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Plug removed.

Ordered re-thread kit and new plugs (3 assorted ones made for various makes but all the same dimensions/thread pitch etc just in case) to repair it myself.

Asked my mechanic on Saturday about the job - he didn't reply so obviously wasn't a profitable job for him. Very rude as usual - typical of garages here.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”