TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Why don´t ppl like the shark mouth galant

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

geodude
Riding on 18's

Why don´t ppl like the shark mouth galant

Postby geodude » May 16th, 2009, 5:13 am

ok so like the topic said y do u think ppl don´t like the shark mouth galant, i have one its great very roomy , and it looks good
i put my up for sale a while ago to test the waters and its was like no body was intrested and most ppl that were were like hmm my machanic tell meh to be careful, and ooo its the tiptronic hmmmm and then they run away, it doesn´t even seem like price is an issue, i think ppl just don´t want anything to do with it
so y the stigma, or is it only me i have also realised that there are quite a few up for sale on Tuner but seems like no one is biting.

sad though these cars have so much potiental

ideas??

gallantpan
Sweet on this forum

Postby gallantpan » May 16th, 2009, 6:49 am

I don't like how ppl calling it shark mouth :evil: as for 1.8 gdi it was not ment for the average trini, they don't know how to maintain it. I prefer the local 2.0 sohc it has more torque,less problems & easy to mod.
Last edited by gallantpan on May 22nd, 2009, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrEnD$eTt@
Street 2NR

Postby TrEnD$eTt@ » May 16th, 2009, 10:06 am

VR4 Powah ......Ive had the experience of driving one of these...real beast to drive in tiptronic ..and tame enough for the wife to carry the kid..really nice mix of sport and luxury ..but see boost see the gas station 2.5V6 twin turbo.. :twisted:

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 16th, 2009, 10:13 am

i wish i had one of those i have the 1.8 GDI :(
but i hear you on the gas thing, the 1.8 is effiecent though

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 16th, 2009, 10:30 am

I don't like how ppl calling it shark mouth as for 1.8 gdi it was not ment for the avrage trini

Yep. When these came out, folks still weren't aware of what GDI actually was.

Kinda like when the first HyperCVT Primeras came down FU......and sometwits kept putting regular transmission fluid in them.....and then bawling the car doh wuk good.

That galant is more a victim of circumstance rather than actually build problems IMHO.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » May 16th, 2009, 7:17 pm

i love my shark mouth...

ppl eh like it cause a the pressures of maintaining the engine.. buh i say is jus like any odda car.. maintain it properly before it start to stress u out and it will work nicely

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » May 16th, 2009, 8:39 pm

maintenance is the Key for GDI engines

I have a lancer going strong three years now just reached the 95K mark

100k service a stone throw away

R@lli@rt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby R@lli@rt » May 16th, 2009, 8:48 pm

True, GDIs are so misunderstood, had mine for 4yrs!

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 16th, 2009, 9:45 pm

we saw enough therapy with PBR &(*! ,green Legnum (thanks to the previous owner, and no way to verify the service history).
got it up and running as well as we could, but still the cost of ownership was way too high "Arima - POS - San F'do", and thats compared to a F20 Capella wagon. got rid of it. another partner is now interested, as it's for sale again (no surprise there), and i advised him its the wrong vehicle for him. simply due to maintenance costs compared to some others.

ronsin1,
3 yrs / 95k?? that car hardly move. our vehicles don't stand still for long. (if that was the case we'd mop drops). 4yrs / 285k 0X

R@lli@rt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby R@lli@rt » May 16th, 2009, 10:13 pm

wagonrunner, again, it comes back to service or lack of...
4yrs and 115,000km...lol, I feeling bad now!
That was POS - Curepe and Grande every weekend!

Trinitim
Street 2NR

Postby Trinitim » May 18th, 2009, 9:33 am

I love my SHARKMOUTH GALANT ITS ROOMY, COMFORTABLE LOOKS WICKED. IT HAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS SPEED AND LOOKS. NOW MIND YOU I DONT HAVE THE GDI 1.8 or 2.0. I HAVE THE 6A13TT. 2.5V6TWIN TURBO IN 5 FWD COPPER CLUTCH. I HAVE THAT IN THE SEDAN NOT THE WAGON - LEGNUM. THE CAR IS A PURE JOY TO DRIVE. MAINTAINANCE IS KEY. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MINE ONLY THING BUY SHARES IN A GAS STATION.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » May 20th, 2009, 6:10 am

^^^ yuh selling :oops: :oops: :oops:

wagonrunner, while I agree that the milage not that high remember most person who have/had GSI got problems well before the the 100k mark

my cousin also has one 3 months older than mine the milage is less that 65K :shock: now starting to act up why service was poor on it I fedd up tell them about it but if yuh doh listen yuh go feel

turbo_boy411
Sweet on this forum

Postby turbo_boy411 » May 21st, 2009, 4:59 pm

well i also i'm the proud owner of a vrg (sharkmouth) awsome car really... they look quite well... (besides the over riced up one's out there) WHY CANT YOU LOOK GOOD WHILE GOING GOOD? it's just some car's require a little more TLC than others... we always can't have what we want... but as for comfort and looks the car is quite respectable...
honestly speakin beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you really like something you'll have the passion and motivation to see it excel... regular service is a must... wouldn't be so hard for fellow car freaks out there! so bigg up all my fellow VRG'S out there!!! keep on BOOSTING!!! (oh did i just say that?)
:twisted:

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 21st, 2009, 7:28 pm

I had a VR4 never got more than 400 out of a full tank but with this GDI i just crossed 460KM using half tank.......about $200..So what do you guys get out of a full tank cause if i hitting 460 an the gaslight not on yet i might get over 900KM out of it.....
The engine is a fresh overseas used motor that i brought as a head and block.
Best mileage I have ever seen.

Next week i will full the tank up to see what i go get...

Later on this year i might take out the GDI biz an stick it in d Lancer.... cause I thinking bout dropping in a 4G63T with a 2WD Tiptron in d Galant.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » May 21st, 2009, 7:37 pm

460 on a half?

nah... thas a brand new engine or wat? :shock:

if i doin hiway alone i could get bout 550 - 600

but normal driving gives m bout 4 - 440

that 4g63T soundin lovely dred... that will jus work in the fwd vrg wid the current tranny as is?

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 21st, 2009, 7:55 pm

well i driving it to Chaguramas from Couva 1500km so far i have spent $420 in premium

4G63T with a V6 MIVEC FTO 5speed tiptron box. I not looking for a race car
oh an its a Legnum

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » May 22nd, 2009, 9:04 am

I love a EA7\EC7

full body kit

17\18" rims

leather interior

maintenance, maintenance, maintenance is teh key with GDI's

if u got one that was well taken care of by foreign owner and u continue to maintain it, u will have no probs

if u got a bad one, then u will have some therapy

even the good ones act up for teh norm GDI issues, as these are the weaknesses in our climate\country (the exact cause is subject to much debate)

they give a great ride, far superior to some of the other cars of their era

many ppl could have afforded the purchase price when they initially hit teh market, but couldn't\didn't want to maintain them the way they needed to be maintained

ppl maintained them like Lancers and got problems that no lancer ever could have given

great car, I almost bought one some years a back, but opted for a lancer cuz I didn't want the maintenance bills as $$$ back then barely allowed

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 22nd, 2009, 9:38 am

just block of the EGR port.............
will stop 90% of the carbon build up in the ports and on the injectors.

So now you wont have to take out and scrape the injectors as often :roll:

slick
3NE 2NR for life

Postby slick » May 22nd, 2009, 12:43 pm

They don't like cause most of them come GDI.

An it seems that a lot of ppl have a lot of problems with the GDI and once that goes bad, is real paper you go hada dish out to repair or replace it.

One time I even hear some guys bad talking the SharkMouth in the barber shop. They say as soon as they hear shark mouth they does run :lol:

solidust
Sweet on this forum

Postby solidust » May 31st, 2009, 8:34 pm

mmm...

about 10yrs ago when these galants now started selling 'like hot bread' according to a lecturer back in sec school days he wouldn't ah get ketch wid that.
these galants failed in the US due to their poor braking system he asserted. keeping it undercover they were sold cheaper to other parts of the world.

not sure how true this is but thas what i can say.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 31st, 2009, 10:23 pm

*fanning the flame*

there was one at the garage when i went on friday.
two things i was told about........ there's a cam lobe that attaches to the fuel pump.
that broke apparently (no clue how). replacements were non existent.
either its the wrong size, or the hole for the oil line doesn't line up.
after exhausting other options, they ended up making 1 out of 2. :|

rear mount. similar problem, mount is correct size / shape, housing is a complete mismatch.
had to press out, and in at a machine shop.

while these things are relatively small, to some owners its a pain in the ass. and the above are examples of parts replacement being more difficult than with other models / brands.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » June 1st, 2009, 6:44 am

solidust wrote:mmm...

about 10yrs ago when these galants now started selling 'like hot bread' according to a lecturer back in sec school days he wouldn't ah get ketch wid that.
these galants failed in the US due to their poor braking system he asserted. keeping it undercover they were sold cheaper to other parts of the world.

American Galant is very different from Jap version

A.W.O.L
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby A.W.O.L » June 1st, 2009, 1:59 pm

gdi does perform once u maintain it....mine is a gdi lancer and it does run real good even under cvt... :twisted:

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » June 3rd, 2009, 12:23 am

had my galant for 5.5 years.......230,000+km when sold.....only problems I had was blown ecu (my fault) and had to change the fuel pressure regulator.........car served me faithfully from rio claro to grande and back, 5 days per week for 5.5 years....taking that manzanilla sea blast yet not a single rust spot ...wonderful suspension and economy on those long runs were quite good.......managed 700km on a single tankful of premium......nice features like full auto windows (not just driver's window) with anti-pinch plus the cool all glass roll up and front glass roll-down through the keys........

I real miss that car........

sharKKmaN
Ricer

Postby sharKKmaN » June 3rd, 2009, 11:02 am

solidust wrote:mmm...

ok jus to clear that up.... the ones sold in the states were the 8g galants wit the vr4 3.0 v6tt (6g72 or 73tt) being a heavy car wit almost 320bhp stock! the stock brakes didnt perform to US standard...the ones sold here 10yrs ago were either 4g63 carb sohc or 6a13 non turbo...totally different models to those sold to the US.. as for the rest of the world... NZ ENG AUS etc they were blessed wit upgraded braking powered vr4's 6a13tt direct from japan..

i've got a sharkmouth 4g63 sohc 2yrs now doing 62k from the day i got it...(170k at present-108k wen i bought it) $120 to a full tank= 420km d carb machine wukkin..... proud owner of a SUCCESSFUL legendary icon in misubishi history

genghis
3NE 2NR for life

Postby genghis » June 5th, 2009, 10:59 am

we need a galant thread like the CS lancer thread!

question:
which galants came AWD??
Last edited by genghis on June 5th, 2009, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trinitim
Street 2NR

Postby Trinitim » June 5th, 2009, 11:47 am

I know VR4's for sure - 6A13TT not sure about the rest.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » June 5th, 2009, 4:29 pm

great guys nice too see ppl intrested in the galant as much as me, my almost do 200k and still going strong, oo my is a gdi galant by the way and all i ever had to do was minor suspension word due to the bad roads in south.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » June 6th, 2009, 7:25 am

question:
which galants came AWD??

many vr-g's came awd as well...........

solidust
Sweet on this forum

Postby solidust » June 11th, 2009, 7:16 pm

ok kool.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”