TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Why don´t ppl like the shark mouth galant

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

trinifohreal
Riding on 13's

Postby trinifohreal » April 18th, 2010, 1:23 am

Xtech the Ball joints fall out on the substitute front cradles sold in brown boxes, I experienced this, they didn't last a year. It is usually preceded by a squeaking noise that could be mistaken for something else. The original which I bought at DM on sale (40%) lasted 3 years without noises. Any body have advice on lowering this car? I am riding on 17 on my EA7A and the front wheel well space is killing the looks of an iconic car. Coilovers or spring and shocks? what other model galants and lancers shocks are interchangeable? I ask this because I am getting great difficulty sourcing solutions to my application, most websites offer for the USDM or the VR4 or legnum. Also guys I am a bit concerned that my oil is disappearing kinda quickly and not showing up on the exhaust and no signs of leaks I am using 5w50 Mobil

TRENDSETA
Trinituner Peong

Postby TRENDSETA » April 19th, 2010, 9:14 am

^^^ trinifohreal i have the same model ea7a
check TSC in the classified forums . He's the authorised dealer for Megan Racing products and from him you can get drop springs for your application

I'm having the same problem with disappearing oil after i switched from castrol Gtx 20 50 to Mobil1 10 30.

i stepped up to mobil1 15 50 and am still having some oil loss but not as drastic. I'm actually due to have some compression testing done today to see if the engine itself has any issues

i'll keep you updated

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » April 19th, 2010, 9:16 am

install a oil catch can you will see it fill up in a short time

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » April 19th, 2010, 9:29 am

TRENDSETA wrote:^^^ trinifohreal i have the same model ea7a
check TSC in the classified forums . He's the authorised dealer for Megan Racing products and from him you can get drop springs for your application

I'm having the same problem with disappearing oil after i switched from castrol Gtx 20 50 to Mobil1 10 30.

i stepped up to mobil1 15 50 and am still having some oil loss but not as drastic. I'm actually due to have some compression testing done today to see if the engine itself has any issues

i'll keep you updated

I changed oil 2000KM ago using the mobil 10w 30 and every week i had to be topping up.. no leaks

then one week i noticed my tappets started singin loudly to me again and my oil light flickering.. only to realise i basically had no oil in my engine :?

so i switched back to castrol GTX 20 50 now too to see...

Wat the ass??

trinifohreal
Riding on 13's

why ppl dont like the sharkmouth galant

Postby trinifohreal » April 19th, 2010, 10:58 am

Hey guys thanks for the answers offereed. Trendsetta be sure to let me know how the compression test worked out. How good are the Megan springs? I heard that the ride is not so smooth after a while. A guy offered me a set of DS2 or Ksport coilovers for 6 grand and I am considering. Xtech what is an oil catch can and where can I get one?

TRENDSETA
Trinituner Peong

Postby TRENDSETA » April 19th, 2010, 1:16 pm

^^^^ ditto on the oil catch can info if possible please
as for the megan springs i haven't installed them yet
but i've made inquiries to that end and i know TSC was the only guy offering an application on the forum

original lollybob - you wouldn't believe just last week i researched this topic of losing oil in the galant and i saw a thread where you mentioned having the same problem . Meant to pm you to find out if you got a solution but got sidetracked

i was contemplating switching back to the castrol
but my mech telling me that once you go synthetic you can't go back to mineral oil cause seals and what not will definitely begin to leak

can anyone confirm if this is true ?

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » April 19th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Re: springs...

i had ordered a set thru someone else from Megan and apparently the only carry for the US spec Galant... so i not sure

xtech, those shocks and springs i get from u workin nice but the car friggin high now.. o well...

TRENDSETA
Trinituner Peong

Postby TRENDSETA » April 19th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Car failed the compression test horribly so i guess i'm on the lookout for a new engine
:fist:

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » April 19th, 2010, 8:56 pm

^^

:shock: :?

trinifohreal
Riding on 13's

why ppl dont like the sharkmouth galant

Postby trinifohreal » April 19th, 2010, 11:03 pm

WTF da mean I looking for ah engine too?!!! I real sorry to hear dat bro. Wha yuh going to replace it with? :!:

trinifohreal
Riding on 13's

Postby trinifohreal » April 19th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Xtech wasup with the oil catch can? leggo ah lil info

TRENDSETA
Trinituner Peong

Postby TRENDSETA » April 20th, 2010, 8:23 am

trini boy honestly i don't know.
Right now i'm open to any and all suggestions except a crossbreed ?

Anyone have any thoughts , opinions, suggestions
my ears are open and i'm willing to listen

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » April 20th, 2010, 9:01 am

trinifohreal wrote:Xtech wasup with the oil catch can? leggo ah lil info

do a google search on the oil catch can very simple device

original_lollybob wrote:Re: springs...

i had ordered a set thru someone else from Megan and apparently the only carry for the US spec Galant... so i not sure

xtech, those shocks and springs i get from u workin nice but the car friggin high now.. o well...

Yeah imagine if i did leave the front springs still installed. I think it came of a VR4 that saw some off road action

TRENDSETA wrote:trini boy honestly i don't know.
Right now i'm open to any and all suggestions except a crossbreed ?

Anyone have any thoughts , opinions, suggestions
my ears are open and i'm willing to listen

VR4 conversion 2WD or full blown AWD

http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... hlight=vr4

4G63T conversion
:| :|

trinifohreal
Riding on 13's

Postby trinifohreal » April 20th, 2010, 9:06 am

Trend, boy I would consider ah Evo or a MIVEC. I dunno but it look like I on da same road wid you and I open to suggestions from any one I wanna keep my shark real, I mitsu all the way. If you not a shark then you is food!!!!!

Rah
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rah » April 20th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Trendsetta don't panic, the 4g9 series engines are generally strong. Why not consider repairing the problem? i know someone who was losing oil and did a compression test which confirmed a problem, can't remember what was the problem but RC in south repaired it. That was six years ago and it never came back.
for the 4g93s you can get most kits like engine rebuild kits etc so don't fret too much. 4g94 is a little harder but you should locate one.

TRENDSETA
Trinituner Peong

Postby TRENDSETA » April 21st, 2010, 8:33 am

Rah who is this RC that you speak of ? any contact info would be appreciated .
A rebuild was my first thought but my mech does real stick and i'm trying to avoid too long of a downtime as the car is my daily driver

i"ve been calling around enquiring about both the rebuild kit as well as an engine
but so far SALT .

if you could point me in the direction of where i might look for either i'd be appreciative

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » April 21st, 2010, 10:38 am

^^
the RC he speaks of is prolly Robert Chang behind Belgroves on the Coffee..

and 4G93 rebuild gonna cost you about $10,000

Thas how much it cost be a few years ago :?

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Postby original_lollybob » April 21st, 2010, 10:41 am

I also see Kronik selling a 4G9x rebuild kit here on the forum.. PM him nah

TRENDSETA
Trinituner Peong

Postby TRENDSETA » April 21st, 2010, 12:17 pm

^^^checked it out but it's a 4g92/3 rebuild kit
anyone knows if this is the same as the 4g94?

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 7th, 2010, 12:31 am

guys i don't know if i just lucky or what but i find parts for the Galant 4g93 real take a nose dive,
my car was smoking after it cross the 200k make and i didn't want to go through the trouble of opening up the engine so i started checking around the foreign used places in Penal and i got a head and blockwith the HP fuel Regulator ( for spare) for 2k serious i was like wow, even got warrenty on the head and block, one day to swap it in and i good to go, and meh babes was back on the road, i chaged all 4 of the engine mounts also and was able to get them used in Penal for i think 600, man i was amazed cause last time i chaged 2 of them it cost more than 1000 from the bamboo and i doh even wha say what the last fuel pump cost me,

any body else bought parts revently and noticed this trend or am i lucky?

Rah
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Rah » May 7th, 2010, 5:52 am

Trendseta, really sorry for the lack of response. I now saw these replies. For the rebuild kit you can call Jurawans in Diego Martin or even try Bobbys. If you don't get the 4g94 then you can use the 4g93, it is missing about 3 gaskets for the 4g94 but a good mechanic should be able to reuse the old ones. Price for the 4g93 was like $1000 a couple years ago. If you want a genuine mitsubishi rebuild kit, i can get one for you but that is expensive !! if i remember correctly it was like close to 280 US before taxes etc.
Geodude it is easier to get certain parts these days and at good prices. Keep the extra fuel pump and your old head and block, trust me you never know when you will need it.

By the way RC is robert and yes his new prices are......high.....
But most good mechanics will do a rebuild for like $1200- $2000 so don't fear. Good thing about a rebuild is that once done properly you know what you have.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Re:

Postby geodude » May 14th, 2010, 12:45 am

Rah wrote: Good thing about a rebuild is that once done properly you know what you have.

the truth you has spoken,

crazonian
Riding on 13's

Re: Why don´t ppl like the shark mouth galant

Postby crazonian » September 28th, 2010, 12:25 pm

People and some mechanics don't understand how the car works, i have a vrg 1.8 for 8yrs and i recently bought a vr4 also. Clearly the car is misunderstood.

original_lollybob
Riding on 16's

Re:

Postby original_lollybob » September 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm

geodude wrote:guys i don't know if i just lucky or what but i find parts for the Galant 4g93 real take a nose dive,
my car was smoking after it cross the 200k make and i didn't want to go through the trouble of opening up the engine so i started checking around the foreign used places in Penal and i got a head and blockwith the HP fuel Regulator ( for spare) for 2k serious i was like wow, even got warrenty on the head and block, one day to swap it in and i good to go, and meh babes was back on the road, i chaged all 4 of the engine mounts also and was able to get them used in Penal for i think 600, man i was amazed cause last time i chaged 2 of them it cost more than 1000 from the bamboo and i doh even wha say what the last fuel pump cost me,

any body else bought parts revently and noticed this trend or am i lucky?

same issue wid me.. i thinkin to go ure same route.. jus buy a head and block and swap is ass out...

mety57
Chronic TriniTuner

Re:

Postby mety57 » November 14th, 2010, 5:44 pm

~Vēġó~ wrote:had my galant for 5.5 years.......230,000+km when sold.....only problems I had was blown ecu (my fault) and had to change the fuel pressure regulator.........car served me faithfully from rio claro to grande and back, 5 days per week for 5.5 years....taking that manzanilla sea blast yet not a single rust spot ...wonderful suspension and economy on those long runs were quite good.......managed 700km on a single tankful of premium......nice features like full auto windows (not just driver's window) with anti-pinch plus the cool all glass roll up and front glass roll-down through the keys........

I real miss that car........

what made u change the fuel pressure regulator and did it connect to the cam lobe

smithbn187
Riding on 13's

Postby smithbn187 » December 8th, 2010, 3:39 pm

well talking from experience i had a gdi galant and a vr4 galant(6a13tt)
the gdi galant gave so much problems, i sold it.
the vr4 galant (6a13tt) is a more reliable, more powerful engine and works great up till today

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » December 8th, 2010, 4:37 pm

noob...............2 years no problems with GDI.

zyrofillica
Street 2NR

Postby zyrofillica » November 17th, 2011, 10:40 am

Hi guys,

Been a long time :shock: since i came on and now i have done up my exterior. Looking at some engine mods now =D

Car is lowered on BC coilovers. 180k kms on the clock and no issues so far. Its a 2005 model so i hoped mitsu had resolved most of the issues with the earlier 4G94 GDI engines.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » November 17th, 2011, 12:33 pm

looking good............so there are 2005 models i thought they stopped at 2003

mety57
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby mety57 » November 17th, 2011, 9:54 pm

nice man

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”