TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

CS2a/3 glx and normal differences.

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Sky
punchin NOS

CS2a/3 glx and normal differences.

Postby Sky » December 21st, 2010, 10:42 am

Ok so I'm in the market for a work horse. I don't think Nissan would put up with the roads i drive on, toyota parts would be too expensive, The ES civic is too old and the new civic is too rich for my blood. So I decided on the CS2a/3 Lancer. I've been searching around and it came down to two choices. A normal 2k7 1.5 cvt with no spolier, rims, flare and all the other nice parts. It does have a new alarm and tint tho.

Then there's a glx 1.6 with the works. It's a bit more and a bit older. Meaning I have less time to pay it off so higher installments. Plus I'll need to install an alarm and tint it.

I wanna know if the glx is worth the extra monthly expense. This car will be for commuting to work. No style needed, not much speed needed. So How better is the glx 1.6 engine than the 1.5? Is the suspension different? are the brakes bigger? Anything special in the interior that's worth more?

Or should I just get the 1.5 workhorse and don't bother?

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Re: CS2a/3 glx and normal differences.

Postby EVA Unit-01 » December 21st, 2010, 1:29 pm

when you say 1.5L, do you mean the GDI?

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » December 21st, 2010, 1:43 pm

Nah not gdi. not getting any gdi models or Cedia models.

EVA Unit-01
Riding on 17's

Postby EVA Unit-01 » December 21st, 2010, 2:12 pm

hmmmm.... *scratches head*
i have a 1.6L CVT GLX from 2008, it's the 4G18 and it works excellently! i get good power out of it, and it's gone in brave where (most) sedans fear to tread :lol:

not sure which 1.5L engine you're talking about, though... :? not sure if the last batch of CS came 1.5L, but those have tiptronic trannies... is that the one you're talking about? or is it the 1.3L base model?

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » December 21st, 2010, 2:20 pm

EVA Unit-01 wrote:when you say 1.5L, do you mean the GDI?

There is no 2007 GDI CS. GDI was only installed in 2000-02 CS2's.

I would go with the 2007 1.5 CS simply because its newer and the only difference is the engine and probably cosmetics.

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » December 21st, 2010, 4:38 pm

SKY assuming is original local vehicles we talking about the cs3 lancer came with a 1.6L FI engine coupled to a cvt tranny ( invec 3 ).
The glx lancer ( assuming its a ck4 ) also came with a 1.6L FI engine coupled to a normal tranny ( in mitsu terms an invec2 tranny )

Some models came with a carburated 1.5L engine.

The cs3 and ck4 engines had slight differences but the ck4 engine had more kick than the cs3. According to the specs the ck4 1.6FI engine was rated 115hp whereas the cs3 1.6FI was just 105hp. The cs3 lancer is slightly heavier than the glx.
I owned both vehicles at one time.
The 1.5L was rated only 85hp

The cs3 came with 14 and later 15 inch alloy rims whereas the glx was 13.
You did not state the mileage on both vehicles , but you should take the following into consideration since you not looking for speed or style.
The cs is younger so I will go for that as compared to the glx which may be about 10yrs now so in time to come you may have to fix /replace some things on the glx .

Again it depends on the owners of the previous vehicles and how they took care of them , I have seen some glx now that is in way better condition ( body and original engine ) than some cs3's and vice versa.

Another thing is the cs3 uses a cvt which when goes bad is very expensive to repair or replace as compared to the non cvt in the glx. Again it depends on how the owners took care of the vehicle .

I kept my cs3 for 5 yrs , replaced tranny fulid at every 50000km and had no problems.
The car was sold at approx 130000 km and the person I sold it to up till today has no issues with it.
If possible carry a serious mechanic and check out the car throughly, dont let looks fool you, get a maintiance history on the cars and make your choice based on what you see and from feedback from your mechanic.

Hope this helps and keep us posted

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » December 21st, 2010, 8:00 pm

Sorry, I didn't specify. I'm looking at RORO Lancers. The Cedia's too old to be imported.
I found some at a dealer and they said it was 1.5 and doesnt bear the glx badge. They also said they're from singapore I believe, because they can't get more glx from Japan.There's another dealer that has a glx with the rims and flare and it's 1.6.

I always thought local Lancers came 4 fwd auto and not cvt.

I'm also looking at this one
http://www.trinicarsforsale.com/databas ... 7-6142#top
It's a glx with just the spoiler and 1.6 with cvt. The guy said two bushings gone and a top engine mount. I'm blaming it on the 18" rims, but haven't checked it out just yet. I'm thinking about taking the chance with this one, but weary that it may give trouble sooner than the RORO, even though it's a PCR and 4 months on the road only. (it also bothers me that someone selling it that soon)

So how more powerful is the 1.6 over the 1.5? Does the 1.5 have the Ds gear selection?
I'm a Honda person so I dunno what horses mean in bishi. A 115hp civic is quick for a grocery getter.
Is the 1.5 a dead horse that has difficulty overtaking?

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » December 21st, 2010, 8:26 pm

Is this one in the pic local ?
Why I asked is that I noticed the throttle body/ intake manifold is shaped different as compared to the cs3's I know. I think the 18's are an over kill , if you want to be safe with these cars I think some 15" with 205/55 tyres or chance some 17".

I had some chrome 15's with some 205/50 tyres then went to 55's which filled up the wheel wells and gave the car an agressive look

Safe meaning no busted tyres or bent rims if the unexpected should happen.

Can't comment on the 1.5 since I never owned on , the 1.6 cvt is ok, not as quick as the 1.6 ck4's.
The one in the pic looks ok , if this is the one get a good mechanic to check it over and find out if you can get parts ie throttle body parts if anything goes wrong.

Initally if you know someone who owns one you can test drive it to determine if it has the feel or power to your liking.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » December 21st, 2010, 8:37 pm

My mom has the 1.6 glx, and I'm satisfied with it.
Don't know anyone with the 1.5 though. Din't wanna get it expecting something like moms own and be disappointed.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » December 23rd, 2010, 5:30 pm

Goin with the 1.5 non glx. I called and asked them if it had Ds ( I forgot to look). They said yes and I'm feeling better about it :P
So won't take chances with an older glx with rims with an unknown offset, or a car that's been on the road for 4 months but has to sell for some reason now.

I getting anything for joining the mitsu camp?

thatguy3832
3NE 2NR for life

Postby thatguy3832 » December 23rd, 2010, 7:13 pm

A pat on the back. LMAO i have a 2007 CS2 and it's ah lil unexpected it actually has alot of features that the CS3's don't

JUS4SHO
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby JUS4SHO » December 23rd, 2010, 7:31 pm

all your answers can be found in the CS thread, had both 1.5 & 1.6 much prefer the 1.6, engine parts are cheaper and readly available, change 2 trottle bodies on the 1.5 in 4 years at 6K each

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » December 23rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

JUS4SHO wrote:all your answers can be found in the CS thread, had both 1.5 & 1.6 much prefer the 1.6, engine parts are cheaper and readly available, change 2 trottle bodies on the 1.5 in 4 years at 6K each

My CS2 GDI over 8yrs old....throttle body never changed. 8-)

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » December 23rd, 2010, 11:29 pm

JUS4SHO wrote:all your answers can be found in the CS thread, had both 1.5 & 1.6 much prefer the 1.6, engine parts are cheaper and readly available, change 2 trottle bodies on the 1.5 in 4 years at 6K each

This is worrying me now. As I plan to use this car to go to work. That's about 250k a day at least. This is the work horse, while the civic is the race horse. I'm gonna change the tranny fluid every month and change bushings every 5. I can't have unscheduled breakdowns, else I was better off buying the Yaris :P I'll stick with it and see what happens tho. I'll check you guys back when I have problems.

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » December 24th, 2010, 9:01 pm

SKY, the cs3 are good cars assuming it was well taken care off .
I had mine for 5 years, dealer serviced and no problems.
As I said get a good experienced mechanic to check out vehicle before purchase, take the car out for a good long drive whit mixed driving patterns based on what you may experience on the road , not no short test run to determine condition of vehicle.

Based on feedback you getting from people who experienced issues with these cars , I understand your concern but this is what you must face when buying a used car espically when you have no idear on previous owner of vehicle or vehicle history.
Some people are lucky with used cars ( no big issues ) , while others are not, this is the reason I buy my vehicles new ( although it have few men with major issues with new cars ).
Take your time and make your decision wisely based on advise from your mechanics and other people with these cars.

mitsuboi
Riding on 17's

Postby mitsuboi » December 30th, 2010, 5:05 pm

somebody explain da.....2007 1.5L glx????

QG
punchin NOS

Postby QG » January 1st, 2011, 12:17 am

Sky wrote:Goin with the 1.5 non glx. I called and asked them if it had Ds ( I forgot to look). They said yes and I'm feeling better about it :P
So won't take chances with an older glx with rims with an unknown offset, or a car that's been on the road for 4 months but has to sell for some reason now.

I getting anything for joining the mitsu camp?

Yes the 1.5 CVT has the Ds on the tranny gear lol.

prvnrox
Riding on 13's

Postby prvnrox » February 19th, 2014, 9:05 am

Guys please help me out. I was driving a Civic ek3 vi before and now looking at a Lancer CS2 1.5L EFI. It does not come with the GLX badge.It has the Ds gear. Anybody knows how this car performs??
Attachments
lancer1.jpg
lancer1.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
lancer.jpg
lancer.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”