TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

gdi engines and aem wideband

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

gdi engines and aem wideband

Postby raybic » March 14th, 2012, 9:23 pm

ok guys getting a little problem i think, recently bought a aem wideband and intalled it on a 4g93t gdi. yea i know gdi...... trouble but i using evoscan also. my wide band working well at start up at 14.5 give or take .5 in boost its goes to 12.5 but the thing is as soon as i let off the gas the gauge jumps to full lean and stays there until i mash back on the gas. if i come to a stop the gauge goes full lean until i accel back again. is this a normal thing with gdi engines to save fuel when idling? because the narrow band mimics this same pattern that the engines uses to calculate a\f . lately also after a switch off , i smell a lot of gas from the muffler , is my engine o2 sensor bad thats why the wideband will show the same thing?
Last edited by raybic on March 17th, 2012, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Re: aem 02 wideband on gdi engine help

Postby MISHI » March 14th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Widebands work independent of the engine's sensor. But still follows the basic guidlenes as the narrowbands:

Rich when foot to floor
Lean when you let off the gas

once you slow to idle position it will read back at or near the stoich ratio. if it staying dead lean at idle something may be wrong with the sensor or where it is bolted to on the exhaust.

As for your fuel smell I can't say

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Re: aem 02 wideband on gdi engine help

Postby raybic » March 17th, 2012, 3:34 pm

i put the sensor bout 25inchs from the turbo manifold.
it reads like 14.7 at start up then after the engine is warmed up it goes full lean on the wideband and narrowband at idle. so was wondering its this is a feature of the gdi engines to save fuel ,

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Re: gdi engines and aem wideband

Postby raybic » March 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm

apparently gdi engines goes full lean when ur off the accel pedal , its a feature to these engines. here i thought my engine was detonatin. ive been using the aem wideband and evoscan , i get like 10 knock at hard accel if my octane is less than 70 . evoscan has shown me where u put gas the octane is lower.

so i solved my prob. its normal as long as i dont go lean when i boosting. have to admit gdi engines is something....

hears something for fellow gdi tuners.

Theory of operation

The major advantages of a GDI engine are increased fuel efficiency and high power output. Emissions levels can also be more accurately controlled with the GDI system. The cited gains are achieved by the precise control over the amount of fuel and injection timings that are varied according to the load conditions. In addition, there are no throttling losses in some GDI engines, when compared to a conventional fuel-injected or carbureted engine, which greatly improves efficiency, and reduces 'pumping losses' in engines without a throttle plate. Engine speed is controlled by the engine control unit/engine management system (EMS), which regulates fuel injection function and ignition timing, instead of having a throttle plate that restricts the incoming air supply. Adding this function to the EMS requires considerable enhancement of its processing and memory, as direct injection plus the engine speed management must have very precise algorithms for good performance and drivability.

The engine management system continually chooses among three combustion modes: ultra lean burn, stoichiometric, and full power output. Each mode is characterized by the air-fuel ratio. The stoichiometric air-fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1 by weight, but ultra lean mode can involve ratios as high as 65:1 (or even higher in some engines, for very limited periods). These mixtures are much leaner than in a conventional engine and reduce fuel consumption considerably.

Ultra lean burn mode is used for light-load running conditions, at constant or reducing road speeds, where no acceleration is required. The fuel is not injected at the intake stroke but rather at the latter stages of the compression stroke, so that the small amount of air-fuel mixture is optimally placed near the spark plug. This stratified charge is surrounded mostly by air, which keeps the fuel and the flame away from the cylinder walls for lowest emissions and heat losses. The combustion takes place in a toroidal (donut-shaped) cavity on the piston's surface.[1] The cavity is displaced to one side of the piston, the side that has the fuel injector. This technique enables the use of ultra-lean mixtures that would be impossible with carburetors or conventional fuel injection.
Stoichiometric mode is used for moderate load conditions. Fuel is injected during the intake stroke, creating a homogenous fuel-air mixture in the cylinder. From the stoichiometric ratio, an optimum burn results in a clean exhaust emission, further cleaned by the catalytic converter.
Full power mode is used for rapid acceleration and heavy loads (as when climbing a hill). The air-fuel mixture is homogenous and the ratio is slightly richer than stoichiometric, which helps prevent knock (pinging). The fuel is injected during the intake stroke.

Direct injection may also be accompanied by other engine technologies such as variable valve timing (VVT) and tuned/multi path or variable length intake manifolding (VLIM, or VIM). Water injection or (more commonly) exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) may help reduce the high nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions that can result from burning ultra lean mixtures.

It is also possible to inject more than once during a single cycle. After the first fuel charge has been ignited, it is possible to add fuel as the piston descends. The benefits are more power and economy, but certain octane fuels have been seen to cause exhaust valve erosion. For this reason, most companies have ceased to use the Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) operation during normal running.

Tuning up an early generation FSI power plant to generate higher power is difficult, since the only time it is possible to inject fuel is during the induction phase. Conventional injection engines can inject throughout the 4-stroke sequence, as the injector squirts onto the back of a closed valve. A direct injection engine, where the injector injects directly into the cylinder, is limited to the suction stroke of the piston. As the RPM increases, the time available to inject fuel decreases. Newer FSI systems that have sufficient fuel pressure to inject even late in compression phase do not suffer to the same extent; however, they still do not inject during the exhaust cycle (they could but it would just waste fuel). Hence, all other factors being equal, an FSI engine needs higher-capacity injectors to achieve the same power as a conventional engine.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”