TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

GDI coilpacks maintenance DIY pics!!

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

GDI coilpacks maintenance DIY pics!!

Postby raybic » June 23rd, 2012, 8:39 pm

DSC01273.JPG
decided to change spark plugs and dig up a little bit.
this is the typical coilpack for the GDI engines,

DSC01116.JPG
i had a bad one where the stem got a crack and the spark was hitting the walls in the engines and not going down through the spring and hitting the coilpacks. i was able to fix that and found out its not really the coilpacks that blows its the the stem that can be replaced or epoxy . THANKS to a fellow 93tgdi tuner.

DSC01276.JPG
ok there is only one part u can open on the coilpack is to the top when i pulled that out i saw white corrosion on the spring on the stem {normal electrical wear i hoped} .
DSC01277.JPG

i took 95% alcohol , didnt have CARB spray and a small blade and took it off. on the coilpack they is a phillip screw inside the pack where the stem attaches it cant be unscrewed so dont even bother before u spoil it. had a lil bit of corrosion on it so i used the blade and got it off.

DSC01274.JPG
ok the stem part where the sparkplug goes, i used a cue tip only thing i had and alcohol and cleaned the spring inside and as the pict shows
DSC01275.JPG

after compressed air was used to blow out any remainin alco .

stems were all check for breakage and snapped back together.

DSC01278.JPG
the grounding wires that attaches to the coilpack were black so a piece or sandpaper was used before and after in pic. sanded the coilpacks metal transformer thing had a bit of rust it them also.

DSC01272.JPG
old plugs was replaced with new ones and everything was carefully tighten back up .

i used to get a bit of bad idling before engine used to idle ruff . at cold starts engine use to stall a little bit .

NOW , idling smoother.

hope its helpful to anyone with a GDI ENGINE. its bout caring right.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: GDI coilpacks maintenance DIY pics!!

Postby rollingstock » June 24th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Part of my normal maintenance.

Just a lil advice before putting back the stem, run a small bead of silicone or gasket maker then reattach, they have a tendency of leaking current right at that spot.

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » June 24th, 2012, 7:19 pm

thanks bro will do it. anymore maintenance beside oil change, throttle cleaning, egr valve, when it comes to gdi ?
'

Biggs3ne
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Biggs3ne » June 25th, 2012, 7:18 am

^^^^ nice DYI post raybic, I honestly didn't know that the coilpacks could be cleaned like that. I too experience rough idling and it can also be felt when I put my hand at the end of my exhaust pipe when it acts up bad. I will replicate your procedure and report back.

Posts like yours are exactly why I like this forum.

dutyspeed
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dutyspeed » June 25th, 2012, 8:52 am

good info there pal

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 25th, 2012, 8:18 pm

raybic wrote:thanks bro will do it. anymore maintenance beside oil change, throttle cleaning, egr valve, when it comes to gdi ?
'

Cleaning the entire intake manifold, takes a little while but definite improvement in idle and no more hunting. Last time i did mines i took a flat head screw driver and was digging out chunks of built up gunk.

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » June 25th, 2012, 8:33 pm

thanks fellas DIY is the way...lol i want to take off the intake but kinda thinking twice, want to see someone do it and then ill do it myself. rollingstock , if u willing for a price for the first time just to let me see how to do it , would be glad to take a pass.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » June 25th, 2012, 10:16 pm

removing intake is easy man......

removing injectors is the one to make u cry.....not saying that its hard to that either.....but those o-rings are old lol

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 26th, 2012, 11:06 am

raybic wrote:thanks fellas DIY is the way...lol i want to take off the intake but kinda thinking twice, want to see someone do it and then ill do it myself. rollingstock , if u willing for a price for the first time just to let me see how to do it , would be glad to take a pass.

It really ain't that hard, 3 bolts behind the intake manifold on the metal shield, nuts on top the engine holding down the manifold, some coolant hoses under the manifold, and 2 bolts on the egr line, one of the bolts on the back is a little stress, are little tight (opposite end from the throttle body)
The exact bolt up will differ from the different gdi engines and chassis slightly.

The injectors are a little hard to get to but if taking off the intake, it's a lot easier. The injectors themselves don't really get that dirty but the tip builds up carbon deposits after a while and affect spray pattern.

Would love to help dan, wouldn't charge ain't my thing but i hardly ever have time, mostly in the office and the one day i'm home on a weekend is to try to keep up with yard work and changing mih gyul oil. :lol:

And for the persons with the green sticker fuel pump, forget the myth about the regulator going bad, it rarely does, it's basically a series of check valves, the problem with those pumps are the 7 pistons, normal wear and tear causes them to lose compression withing the pump itself.

I really need some time to make a detailed thread like this.

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » June 26th, 2012, 1:30 pm

great thread.

will check mines next spark plug change.

I doubt its cracked or anything though, more than likely just needs a little cleaning like you did.

+1 on the intake removal DIY.

I don't know how to do it either.

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » June 26th, 2012, 9:00 pm

thanks bro will try it and see

Biggs3ne
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Biggs3ne » June 27th, 2012, 7:43 am

RS and XTECH, on a scale of 1 to 10 how would u rate the removal and cleaning of the intake manifold? I currently have a 4g18 engine and have some time off today. I want to try it because when i took off my TB a few weeks ago to service i looked into d intake manifold and all that could be seen was black mock. I didnt do anything because I ddidnt know how to clean it and what to clean it with either. These are my concerns:

1. Is there any possibilty of stretching or damaging the gasket if i attempt to remove the manifold.
2. Is there any particular way to remove the injectors without damaging them.

Thank you in advance for your feedback guys.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 27th, 2012, 10:03 am

^the 4g18 isn't direct injection so build up of deposits won't be as bad as with the gdi, don't see the need to remove it just as yet, use a soaking intake cleaner like the bar's or redline, let it soak in for 15 minutes, then use a cheaper cheaper intake cleaner like the gunk or crc and spray it again, let it sit for about half an hour, then try to start the vehicle, if it doesn't start let it sit some more and try again later, with the engine idling, rev to about 2000-2500rpm and spray intermittently without letting the vehicle stall. DO NOT spray on your sensors, some cleaners can damage o2 sensors.

If you do decide to remove it it is fairly simple, haven't removed one of the 4g18 but from seeing the way they are made up shouldn't be difficult.

BTW cleaning it would thin your oil so no heavy revving after cleaning and you MUST change oil right after.

Biggs3ne
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Biggs3ne » June 27th, 2012, 11:19 am

^^Okay well in that case I will clean it closer to my next oil change. So I'm basically spraying this stuff into my throttle body and just letting it soak in for sometime?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 27th, 2012, 11:27 am

Yep basically, the first step is to loosen it and then to spray it off.

Biggs3ne
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Biggs3ne » June 27th, 2012, 11:32 am

ok, thanks for the advice.

dutyspeed
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dutyspeed » July 10th, 2012, 8:13 am

good info

2nil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 2nil » July 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm

REALLY GREAT INFO BRO..........

raybic
3NE 2NR for life

Postby raybic » July 14th, 2012, 8:33 pm

thanks bro.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”