TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Leaking FPR???(Fuel pressure regulator)

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

cocotax
Riding on 13's

Leaking FPR???(Fuel pressure regulator)

Postby cocotax » January 21st, 2013, 12:21 pm

Hey guys, I think I may have a leaking FPR.

I have a 2002 Lancer (4G15 GDI/CVT) .When I was replacing my radiator , the car was parked on an incline(front of the car lower than the back) . I smelt a strong gasoline scent, I ran my hand along the fuel lines and when i reached the fuel pressure regulator , i felt gas :shock: . I opened my gas cap to see if i released the pressure in the fuel lines if that would do anything and strange enough the leak cleared up.

This also happens if I leave the car overnight, in the morning there's a gas smell and a little gasoline under the fuel pipe on the regulator. I tested this again where i left the gas cap slightly loose overnight and in the morning , sure enough, there was no sign of a leak.

I changed the hose clamps on the the fuel hoses and the bolts on the FPR are snug(not over tightened). I'm thinking maybe change the fuel filter or worse case a new FPR?

Anyone know of this situation or experienced it? I know it have plenty men here who love dey Lancer :mrgreen: , Thanks.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Leaking FPR???(Fuel pressure regulator)

Postby rollingstock » January 23rd, 2013, 7:50 pm

Check teh fuel filter first.

cocotax
Riding on 13's

Postby cocotax » January 25th, 2013, 10:42 am

Cool, Thanks man. I'll do that this weekend(probably change it one time) and update the thread.

Also, how to i get to the fuel filter in these lancers? Are there 1 or 2 and so I get to the one in the tank through the trunk or backseat?

Thanks again.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 25th, 2013, 2:27 pm

From under the backseat for the intank.

Not too experiences with teh lancers but check under the rear right door of teh undercarriage, look for the fuel lines, i know the gdi galants has an external filter bolted on to a regulator under there.

cocotax
Riding on 13's

Postby cocotax » January 31st, 2013, 9:24 pm

Yeah , took the back seat and found it. I bought a replacement filter assembly and guess what....the thing was defective, it was completely missing a hole for fuel to pass through. So i returned that and just cleaned out with old one with a little bit of Amsoil P.I. . I looking where to buy a new full functioning fuel filter assembly though. I heard Selvon's in POS near Ford has, I go check dem out.

shoutryan
Riding on 13's

Postby shoutryan » January 31st, 2014, 11:00 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I solved my problem, I don't know if the info may be useful to anyone else as well.

The above problem popped up again, so I bought this scanner (http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Blu ... B005NLQAHS) and used an app called Torque. After scanning the codes, I got a P1313 code for lean surge(Mitsubishi), which meant I was running lean.

Now that meant either I had a air leak, gas leak or low fuel pressure. After un-bolting the fuel line with the flange to the FPR to investigate, I saw the problem, it was a worn o-ring allowing gasoline past the ring and allowed gas to 'weep'(capillary action) up through the bolt threads, as a result I had a crappy air/fuel mix and the car was sluggish, threw error codes, bad fuel economy.

Swapped out the old ting for a new one, gave it a little stretch and lubed it up with new motor oil(Amsoil - big up Big Z) and it seems to be running good. Better engine response due to actually getting the correct amount of fuel in the cylinder and no more (crosses fingers) leak.

So if your 4G15 GDI engine performing lame, clean your parts, change seals/gaskets/rings and lube up and it should be ok.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”