TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

gdi engine dying....

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

insaneindian
Street 2NR

gdi engine dying....

Postby insaneindian » August 7th, 2014, 9:56 pm

the car - mitsubishi galant vrg 1.8 gdi

the problem - the car was low on power while trying to overtake on the highway one day, it started bucking violently and engine light came on, even at low rpm and low speed it kept bucking and hesitating. I got the car scanned and it said low fuel pressure.

since then we have taken out injectors and fuel rail, thoroughly cleaned it and reinstalled, cleaned throttle body and intake manifold, changed fuel filter (under the car), removed in tank pump took off filter (sock), cleaned until see through and reinstalled. Also changed the fuel pressure sensor on the gdi pump.
The gdi pump was changed about 2 months ago.
Now instead of bucking, it idles for a while then dies but restarts immediately if i turn the key, then dies after a few minutes......

can anyone offer some advice as to what may be causing this and/or a possible solution???

xtech
punchin NOS

Re: gdi engine dying....

Postby xtech » August 8th, 2014, 2:06 pm

seems like u could of just adjust the regulator screw on old pump to raise the pressure.....

an u must be buy a bad pump that cant keep pressure high for long.....

insaneindian
Street 2NR

Postby insaneindian » August 8th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Thanks xtech.....
I thought as much after reading through a couple threads about adjusting the fuel pump......
Kicked myself for spending $1500 on a pump when i could have just turned a screw...

Could a bad fuel regulator cause this problem though???

de_dougla_smurf
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby de_dougla_smurf » August 31st, 2014, 10:23 am

hey man apart from that, you could have faulty coil packs.

Get them checked out.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 31st, 2014, 11:02 am

Really hate those GDI engines.its a nice technology advancement but Its a bit more hi tech then those normal Mitsubishi engines.

nightman22
Street 2NR

Postby nightman22 » September 2nd, 2014, 7:46 pm

Do u know any one who can adjust the pump.
Thanks

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » September 7th, 2014, 6:47 am

i've got the same exact problem like you. Dealer was scanning the same diagnostic code like you with low fuel pressure. Just got the car 2 weeks and didnt realise this car has also a fuel pump in the engine bay. I changed the in tank pump but no solution.

Your problem with over taking and putting the engine on load is the same as mine..bucking and sheit and i can only keep the car running when keeping the same exact speed. After engine restart everything is fine again. i did use some injector cleaner and things got a little better. Then problem putting the engine on load is less but idle problem is the same.

I find it strange that my car only begins to idle rough when coming to operating temp. When cold not a single problem. When its warm the idle wil drop to 500 or lower and sometime completly stalls. what part / sensor is not operating when cold ? perhaps thats a clue?

Do you have any progress?

Sanjstar
Street 2NR

Postby Sanjstar » September 7th, 2014, 8:25 am

Had an issue like that once.....it turned out to be an alternator issue....it can also be a bad battery.....not enough current to meet your demands....it may or maynot be the same issue....good luck

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » September 7th, 2014, 8:34 am

Sanjstar wrote:Had an issue like that once.....it turned out to be an alternator issue....it can also be a bad battery.....not enough current to meet your demands....it may or maynot be the same issue....good luck

Funny you mention..i was in a traffic jam and my abs light turned on. Often this is power related. My screen wipers and power Windows where also moving slow. I checked the current when the idle was bad but had 14 volts or so.

My question is, did you had the same problem in combination with the diagnostic code?

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » September 7th, 2014, 8:37 am

de_dougla_smurf wrote:hey man apart from that, you could have faulty coil packs.

Get them checked out.

When its idling rough it feels like misfire or a injector not working. How can we check the coil, just pull the connector and look if something changes?

de_dougla_smurf
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby de_dougla_smurf » September 8th, 2014, 9:40 pm

dtdeg wrote:
de_dougla_smurf wrote:hey man apart from that, you could have faulty coil packs.

Get them checked out.

When its idling rough it feels like misfire or a injector not working. How can we check the coil, just pull the connector and look if something changes?

Yes.

Just as you would a distributor system. The engine idle would stagger on three cylinders but will stall on only 2.

In all, these symptoms are characteristic of:

- Low fuel pressure
- Faulty/fouled plugs
- Faulty coil packs
- Leaking plug chamber seal
- Faulty throttle body or its motor
- Faulty throttle pedal position sensor (erratic idle at standstill and erratic throttle response)

It requires troubleshooting and can exist in any combination. Use a paper clip scan and get the codes to point yourself in the right direction.

Sanjstar
Street 2NR

Postby Sanjstar » September 9th, 2014, 12:49 am

I did not check the code....because i felt it was a minor issue....i diagnosed the issue firstly without checking the code old school way...first time i ever got a misfire it turned out to be a bad coil pack....second time it was due to not putting back on the gdi engine cover so spark plug number 3 got moisture in it after driving in some heavy rainfall and the third time was due to a faulty charging system (alternator)...its more the minor stuff that cause the system to malfunction....let us know when you solve the problem op

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » September 9th, 2014, 1:14 am

Just a question, is your car idling fine when cold? Strange thing with mine is that the car idles fine before full operating temp. As soon its warmed up it begin to run rough and rpms drop to 500 or lower. I must say that the temp gauge isnt straight in the middle so im suspect also a faulty thermostat. Any idee what changes at operating temp? Might guess it will change fuel map, running slight leaner? I know on my car the gdi pump is changed a while ago and last weekend i cjanged the intank pump also. Both used.

Anston
Riding on 13's

Postby Anston » September 9th, 2014, 6:09 am

Humm strange

mog
Riding on 13's

Postby mog » September 28th, 2014, 1:38 pm

it will be the high pressure fuel pump on the block, changed mine and not had a problem since, cost me 10 english pounds

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » September 29th, 2014, 2:16 am

mog wrote:it will be the high pressure fuel pump on the block, changed mine and not had a problem since, cost me 10 english pounds

where did you buy it ?

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » September 30th, 2014, 5:20 am

Your injectors need cleaning. You have to remove it an scrape of carbon build up.

After warm up in idle the engine Ecu switches to GDI lean mode and if the spray pattern is mess up it will give a hunting idle an then suddenly rev up on its own an it tries to settle back down.

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » September 30th, 2014, 7:20 am

xtech wrote:Your injectors need cleaning. You have to remove it an scrape of carbon build up.

After warm up in idle the engine Ecu switches to GDI lean mode and if the spray pattern is mess up it will give a hunting idle an then suddenly rev up on its own an it tries to settle back down.

In idle mode the gdi eco light never turns on, so dont know if it switches to lean mode. After injector cleaner and throttle body cleaning things went allot betther. Im gonna replace the gas filter asap and use another injector cleaner trough a tank of gas. Check engine light still ulluminates when idle... can dirty injectors give a low fuel pressure

optimusprime
Riding on 13's

Postby optimusprime » September 30th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Guys, guys, guys!the solution to that bucking low power engine light throwing problem is so easy you all go cussing and kicking cause u spent to much money to purchase an entire fuel pump as i did.

lemme just say that the issue is with the fuel pump and i have the solution fell free to contact by inbox or whats app 7424142.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » October 1st, 2014, 9:27 am

When I cleaned my injectors of all d carbon build up all rough gone.....yes It does go into lean mode at idle put a rich lean gauge on it an you will see.....an dirty injectors don't make fuel pressure low. But it will give rough idle. Low fuel pressure while in GDI mode will give same symptoms.

So maybe you need to crank up the pressure an see.

dtdeg wrote:
xtech wrote:Your injectors need cleaning. You have to remove it an scrape of carbon build up.

In idle mode the gdi eco light never turns on, so dont know if it switches to lean mode. After injector cleaner and throttle body cleaning things went allot betther. Im gonna replace the gas filter asap and use another injector cleaner trough a tank of gas. Check engine light still ulluminates when idle... can dirty injectors give a low fuel pressure

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » October 1st, 2014, 10:09 am

xtech wrote:When I cleaned my injectors of all d carbon build up all rough gone.....yes It does go into lean mode at idle put a rich lean gauge on it an you will see.....an dirty injectors don't make fuel pressure low. But it will give rough idle. Low fuel pressure while in GDI mode will give same symptoms.

So maybe you need to crank up the pressure an see.

dtdeg wrote:

Thanks. previous owner told me that the GDI fuel pump already was replaced and the fuel pressure was raised. I think i'll have to verify the pressure and / or replace the pump to be sure. a last possibility can be a faulty fuel pressure regulator perhaps. have to find the vacuum source to see there's no any fuel in it. Its hard for me to find some good service manual and info. Know somewhere to download this stuff ?

Is there a special procedure to relearn idle ?

insaneindian
Street 2NR

Postby insaneindian » October 2nd, 2014, 11:56 am

ok fellas, its been 2 mths my baby has been sitting in the garage throwing the same "fuel pressure fail" error code, even after changing the gdi pump 3 times!!!!

when hooked up to the scan tool, while driving or just revving, we notice a drastic drop in fuel pressure when the accelerator is pressed....

as mentioned before, there's a new in tank pump, new fuel filter, thoroughly cleaned injectors and throttle body, new ecu, new injector control unit and a new gdi pump(3x)......can someone please offer a possible solution before ah get fed up an bun dong de fackin car!!!!

btw i was told it could be an electrical problem and changing the harness would solve it but it baffles me that a hydraulic pump would be affected by an electrical problem

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » October 2nd, 2014, 1:31 pm

insaneindian wrote:ok fellas, its been 2 mths my baby has been sitting in the garage throwing the same "fuel pressure fail" error code, even after changing the gdi pump 3 times!!!!

when hooked up to the scan tool, while driving or just revving, we notice a drastic drop in fuel pressure when the accelerator is pressed....

as mentioned before, there's a new in tank pump, new fuel filter, thoroughly cleaned injectors and throttle body, new ecu, new injector control unit and a new gdi pump(3x)......can someone please offer a possible solution before ah get fed up an bun dong de fackin car!!!!

btw i was told it could be an electrical problem and changing the harness would solve it but it baffles me that a hydraulic pump would be affected by an electrical problem

what about the fuel pressure regulator. check if there isnt fuel in the vacuum line. did you also checked base fuel pressure?

ryan666
Street 2NR

Postby ryan666 » October 2nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

insaneindian wrote:the car - mitsubishi galant vrg 1.8 gdi

the problem - the car was low on power while trying to overtake on the highway one day, it started bucking violently and engine light came on, even at low rpm and low speed it kept bucking and hesitating. I got the car scanned and it said low fuel pressure.

since then we have taken out injectors and fuel rail, thoroughly cleaned it and reinstalled, cleaned throttle body and intake manifold, changed fuel filter (under the car), removed in tank pump took off filter (sock), cleaned until see through and reinstalled. Also changed the fuel pressure sensor on the gdi pump.
The gdi pump was changed about 2 months ago.
Now instead of bucking, it idles for a while then dies but restarts immediately if i turn the key, then dies after a few minutes......

can anyone offer some advice as to what may be causing this and/or a possible solution???

Bro it sounding like the coil packs... Did you by chance let water get near there? I has that problem and i had to replace all coil packs..

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » October 2nd, 2014, 4:12 pm

In d early years I too was so frustrated because the mechs don't have any info or understand GDI. So End up swapping for another GDI engine.

I did my research and did better maintenance an fixed everything that popped up myself.

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » October 19th, 2014, 11:24 am

so another 20 hours of work and no solution..

Following parts have been changed for known working used parts:

- electric throttle body
- all 4 coil packs
- MAF
- fuel filter under rear right vender
- GDI regulator
- checked spark plugs firing
- checked fuel injectors firing

Following parts i'm gonna try, battery, plugs, complete gas pedal. I know that my gdi pump, which is located beneath the gdi regulator, is changed, but think i give it a try also.

O and some new strange thing was happening.. my exhaust leaks black fluid and shoots little carbon parts.. thought it might run excessive rich so i checked plugs as fast as i gut, but they where completely dry :agrue: .

Has anybody scanned / changed the fron 02 sensor? When i scanned that 02 sensor, and when the engine begin to stumble at idle, it reads 0 volts lol ? Something isnt burning or out of range of the 02 sensor.

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » October 19th, 2014, 11:29 am

optimusprime wrote:Guys, guys, guys!the solution to that bucking low power engine light throwing problem is so easy you all go cussing and kicking cause u spent to much money to purchase an entire fuel pump as i did.

lemme just say that the issue is with the fuel pump and i have the solution fell free to contact by inbox or whats app 7424142.

cant you just share the information here for all of us ?

dtdeg
Riding on 13's

Postby dtdeg » October 23rd, 2014, 5:51 am

anyone know where this wire goes to? its on the front right side of the engine near the maf. Cant find anywhere to plug it in. I have a spare wire loom and this connector is the same length place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hku2w1bves1al ... 4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo86g0c5iwgsb ... 7.jpg?dl=0

de_dougla_smurf
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby de_dougla_smurf » October 23rd, 2014, 11:18 pm

dtdeg wrote:anyone know where this wire goes to? its on the front right side of the engine near the maf. Cant find anywhere to plug it in. I have a spare wire loom and this connector is the same length place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hku2w1bves1al ... 4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo86g0c5iwgsb ... 7.jpg?dl=0

That wire has 12 volts at high amperage. Tape it off and secure it.

I have no idea what its for...

That wire grounded off on the engine head and blew the engine/ignition fuse. Thing is, i was on the highway and it stalled during an overtake at about 120km/h.

The fuse for the power windows worked as a sub, so i was able to start and get home.

True story.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » October 24th, 2014, 8:35 pm

lol that wire is there for noise suppression. It suppose to be plugged into a capacitor.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”