TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

LF LGT Tiptronic transmission oil

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Sigmatech
Riding on 13's

LF LGT Tiptronic transmission oil

Postby Sigmatech » March 3rd, 2011, 1:30 pm

Can anyone link me with the original oil or a subaru recommended alternative locally?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: LF LGT Tiptronic transmission oil

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 3rd, 2011, 1:46 pm

I have 5 or 6 quarts if you want.
Original Subaru 5EAT fluid. I bought extra to keep as spare, but I'm swapping to a gearbox, so I wont be needing them.
gimme 130/qt.

PM if interested.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » March 3rd, 2011, 2:59 pm

Amsoil ATF meets the Subaru spec.

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 4th, 2011, 6:09 am

I see amsoil claiming they meet ATF HP specs..however , ATF HP is a blend...not fully syntehtic like the amsoil. For that reason it is fundamentally different...for our sensitive tiptronic trannys i'd say stick with the origional. Ur clutch packs would thank u in the long run...consider Vexxx's offer.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Big Z » March 4th, 2011, 6:49 am

I dont quite follow your logic..... with any lubricant, the following items are important:

1. Viscousity
2. Additive package

How does being a blend and being synthetic affect either of the above two?

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 4th, 2011, 8:44 am

Well pal...i've read forums where people have run logs to determine ATF temps. with the subaru atf hp vs synthetic atf's (specific to the 5EAT LGT tranny) and ATF HP offers the best heat removal especially for harsh climates like down here.

For this reason, even the most recent subaru service manual states that idemitsu atf hp or subaru atf is the only atf that can be used in the 5EAT platform. Subaru lists no substitute or alternative.

ATF hp is a blend of both dino and synth. As such it is specifically engineered with certain friction modifiers and meets specific viscosity requirements for optimal shifting and decreased wear on the clutch bands, gaskets etc.

Using an alternative is to the detriment of the individual. I'm not knocking your sale..i'm just stating the facts.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Big Z » March 4th, 2011, 9:31 am

1. Heat capacity between synthetic and mineral oil will be almost the same... Its not like there is a change in material like between water and a 50/50 coolant. While I have not seen the information that you have, I do find the idea very questionable.

2. Manufacturers do not list, nor recommend replacement products.

3. Friction modifiers are in the additive package. It is not a result of the blend of dino and synthetic.

4. This is a tech forum.. only technical information here. No sales.

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 4th, 2011, 11:17 am

RE: SOA's (Subaru Of America) response to AMSOIL ATF

"Thank you for visiting the Subaru of America Web site and for your message. Subaru of America does not recommend Amsoil Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Our recommendations would be in the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID section of your owner's manual, such as page 11-24 in the 2008 Legacy owner's manual. The recommended fluids are: Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-HP, Idemitsu ATF HP, Castrol Transmax J, and Pennzoil ATF-J.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. Happy 4th of July!

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
-----------------------------------------------------------
YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

SOA,

I was wondering you opinion on amsoils new formulation for the Legacy GT/5EAT Automatic transmission. I have been in a heated battle with a few friends about the whole subaru atf vs the amsoil atf.

Any help on this subject would be greatful. "

Big Z wrote:Manufacturers do not list, nor recommend replacement products.

^^ are u sure about that?? seems to me like subaru was recommending other brands of ATF...just not amsoil.

I wasnt trying to correlate blend w/ friction modifiers. I was just trying to illustrate the specific nature of the additives that are common to the subaru atf as well as the others they list as meeting the requirements.

If u find my info questionable feel free to verify. To date subaru has not listed it as an alternative so i'd refrain.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Big Z » March 4th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Just checked the 2008 Subaru Legacy owners manual and they do recommend "Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-HP, Idemitsu ATF HP, Castrol Transmax J, and Pennzoil ATF-J"

Anyways... they wont recommend Amsoil because its not in the owner's manual. Again, back to the fact that they will not waiver from what is listed in the owner's manual.

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 5th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Big Z wrote:Anyways... they wont recommend Amsoil because its not in the owner's manual. Again, back to the fact that they will not waiver from what is listed in the owner's manual.

^^^ hey, don't begin to assume on behalf of Subaru ok.

Take for example:diff oil. They recommend subaru lsd oil or any GL-5 rated 75W 90 oil...so it does show that manufacturers are flexible to what oils can be used regardless of the brand.

Hope this helps

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Big Z » March 6th, 2011, 1:40 am

So.. Subaru makes an ATF-HP, then Amsoil makes an ATF that satisfies this spec.
Just like Subaru making a 75W90 and Amsoil making a 75W90.
What is the difference?
Make up your mind. You cant have it two ways.

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 6th, 2011, 2:39 am

Big Z wrote:What is the difference?
Make up your mind. You cant have it two ways

^^^ my gosh...did u ever do english a in cxc? the difference is APPLICATION
In this case the two applications i referred to are:
transmission=highly complex sensitive electrical and mechanical parts, seals etc

&

differential= simple design..hence y subaru doesn't act all finicky about what oil can be used it it

So my point about the diff was jus to illustrate that subaru is flexible about what brands of oils to use, BUT, this clause is specific to application only.....but since u clearly don't read and process what people say u missed that one.

and all this was in response to the nonsense u said
Manufacturers do not list, nor recommend replacement products

clearly the fact that they did not discriminate about the use of different brands in their diff's for example debunks what u saying.

hell, subaru now makes synthetic motor oils and recommends the use of it...however they do state that any SAE API approved synth. motor oil, once in the right temp range will be acceptable...but again these caveats all depend on the given application..engine in this case

Moral of the story, stick to what subaru recommends for their 5EAT unit. If guys out there wana be a cheapo and pay $80/qt for amsoil jus to save a few bucks...well then, if sh*t happens hmmm ...

Hope this helps

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Big Z » March 6th, 2011, 8:51 am

The specification for the transmission would be - Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-HP
This is also met by the following products - Idemitsu ATF HP, Castrol Transmax J, and Pennzoil ATF-J
It can also be met by any other product that meets or exceeds the "Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-HP" specification.

Not a 2008 Legacy, but close enough

Specified fluid:
SUBARU ATF (Part No. K0140Y0700)
Recommended fluid:
IDEMITSU ATF HP
CASTROL TRANSMAX J
PENNZOIL QUAKERSTATE • PENNZOIL ATFJ
NOTE:
Use of the recommended fluid is permitted only in
regions where the specified fluid is not available.

The specification for the differential is "subaru lsd oil or any GL-5 rated 75W 90"
Many products meet this specification.

Castrol Transmax® J is suitable and recommended wherever any of the following performance requirements are cited.
Approved by Subaru for 5 Speed and 4 Speed automatic transmissions
Nissan– Matic J (D & C)
Suitable for use in Toyota vehicles specifying Toyota T-IV or T fluids
Allison C4 approval – 31864002
DEXRON® IIIG approval – G-34276
Mercon™ approval – M020103
JASO 1A specification

Castrol Transmax® J looks like any other generic fluid to me.
Your entire argument is null.

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 6th, 2011, 1:09 pm

JADAKISS wrote:Take for example:diff oil. They recommend subaru lsd oil or any GL-5 rated 75W 90 oil...so it does show that manufacturers are flexible to what oils can be used regardless of the brand.

Big Z aka Amsoil Fanboy wrote:The specification for the differential is "subaru lsd oil or any GL-5 rated 75W 90"
Many products meet this specification.

^^ Wow..i see u did pick up that english a text book..cuz thats whats i been saying w.r.t the diff fluid choices...alternatives are application specific only. Thanks for confirming lol

Again..see subaru's caveat for ATF :"NOTE:
Use of the recommended fluid is permitted only in
regions where the specified fluid is not available."

In this case recommended fluids are castrol transmax j and pennzoil j.

The factory fill is semi-synthetic. Idemitsu.

Also subsitute Castrol Transmax-J (not available retail in US)

Pennzoil ATF-J (good luck finding it)

Nissan J-spec is same

GM and Ford supposedly carry this exact J-spec as well.

J-spec is the only stuff that belongs in the JATCO 5EAT transmission. There've been postings on Nissan boards where one guy used other than in his 5speed JATCO and after 5,000 excellent running miles the coatings on his clutches etc dissolved//fried and he was toast. A new Titan I believe. The Nissan owners are paranoid about using the wrong fluid generally, and keep trying to get others to "try" or "test" non-spec fluids in their in-warranty trannies. I haven't read of anyone taking the chance except for the case mentioned.

The Castrol and Pennzoil fluids are sold only in Japan and Australia, and Idemitsu is the OEM supplier for Subaru and Nissan (whose division, JATCO manufactures the 5EAT)

Matic-J fluid (the type the LGT requires) is only available currently in North America at Nissan or Subaru dealers, and some Cottman transmission shops (who stock it for their own use but won't sell it to end users.) Valvoline MaxLife ATF is said by Valvoline to substitute for Matic-J, but is not approved by Subaru or Nissan.

Dexron does not meet the requirements and can cause problems and/or void your warranty.

Moral of the story, jus because castrol transmax j is compatible with dextron III applications, it doesn't mean that dextron III (generic atf's) are compatible with the 5EAT unit.

Subaru states that dextron iii (amsoil is compatible with this) can only be used in the 4EAT(non turbo legacy/forester) in cases of emergency but this would cause significant noise and vibration.

That disclaimer alone says it all!

Your entire presence on this forum is NULL

ole whore
Street 2NR

Postby ole whore » March 6th, 2011, 2:29 pm

guys the OP is looking for oil either u have or don't, take this elsewhere.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Big Z » March 6th, 2011, 3:12 pm

1. Please explain what the difference is between mutli-specification oils like CASTROL TRANSMAX J
and Amsoil Synthetic ATF, all of which meet the specification for Subaru ATF.

2. Amsoil Synthetic ATF covers a number of other specifications which are more stringent than Subaru ATF (e.g. Mercon V start and end viscousity)

Since you will be unable to answer these question in a technical fashion and without resorting to insults, this will most likely be my last post in this thread. Not all are blessed with the grasp of logic to follow logical statements.

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 6th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Big Z wrote:Not all are blessed with the grasp of logic to follow logical statements.

^^ Glad u admitting to a fact that i suspected u lacked all this time.

And i don't have to explain anything, Subaru clearly states what they require. Talk done.

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”