TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Subaru Parts/Maintenance $?

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

gboson
Street 2NR

Subaru Parts/Maintenance $?

Postby gboson » November 22nd, 2013, 11:09 pm

Hey tuners, looking at purchasing my first subby and the general consensus seems to indicate that parts for these vehicles are quite costly. Moreover I'm hearing mixed reviews regarding the actual reliability of some ranging from 'rel strain boi, doh buy ah scooby at all' to 'parts expensive, doh get yourself in Dat'. How true are these accusations? (I'm fairly new to the car arena) Two possible purchase options are a wrx conversion and a stock sti atm.

spirited721
Trinituner Peong

Re: Subaru Parts/Maintenance $?

Postby spirited721 » November 22nd, 2013, 11:31 pm

If you new to d scene break out with ah Nissan. You could do all sorts of things with a Nissan...

Grudge
Sweet on this forum

Postby Grudge » November 23rd, 2013, 7:15 am

I always believe if yuh buying a turbo car, buy it how it came stock from factory, stay away from the conversion thing, especially with the Subarus.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » November 23rd, 2013, 9:56 pm

I recently bought a spec B legacy and so far I can say that smaller suspension parts such as front cradle bushings, ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends are fairly reasonable, and this is oem subaru FYI. I had a P11 before and the equivalent oem suspension components would cost about 4 to 5 times as much. I believe that the price for 'parts' for routine maintenance is not too bad but the bigger ticket items eg. foreign used engines, transmissions, gearboxes, diffs will be a different story. Probably someone with some more experience and chime in...

gboson
Street 2NR

Postby gboson » November 24th, 2013, 12:27 am

I initially started off with a Nissan B14, then bought a manual EK3 Civic. Personally I love the look and general performance of the Civics, Subarus and Evos along that sporty line. Interested in a manual vehicle and something that has a 'bite' hence my inclination towards the Subaru. Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming. So stock STI it is? Moreover my budget shall not exceed 90k.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » November 24th, 2013, 7:45 am

try to get something stock, either a stock wrx or sti if you going turbo or the lower models if NA.

conversions are a kinda funny thing, certain people dont use the proper parts and you will have to spend more down the road, but from my basic experience in subarus.Parts are more expensive than nissan (stock for stock) but they also Outlast nissan parts and dont need changing regular.

Islandboy.7
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Islandboy.7 » November 25th, 2013, 9:00 am

Grudge wrote:I always believe if yuh buying a turbo car, buy it how it came stock from factory, stay away from the conversion thing, especially with the Subarus.

^^
I agree....do your own build with factory install

gboson
Street 2NR

Postby gboson » November 28th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Hmmmm yeah I think I've arrived at the same conclusion regarding a conversion. Appreciate the replies. However I'm also considering SIR. The two vehicles I'm stuck between are linked below. Opinions regarding vehicle maintenance are especially welcomed.

SIR Civic (65k)
viewtopic.php?t=541289

Bugeye Subaru (90k)
viewtopic.php?t=539540

Grudge
Sweet on this forum

Postby Grudge » November 28th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Is the Sti a conversion (it looks original)? Another thing to consider is safety. Don't think the civic can be classed with the Subaru in this respect.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 28th, 2013, 7:57 pm

gboson wrote:Hmmmm yeah I think I've arrived at the same conclusion regarding a conversion. Appreciate the replies. However I'm also considering SIR. The two vehicles I'm stuck between are linked below. Opinions regarding vehicle maintenance are especially welcomed.

SIR Civic (65k)
viewtopic.php?t=541289

Bugeye Subaru (90k)
viewtopic.php?t=539540

comparing chalk and cheese.

One is a reliable grocery getter with a little pep for the occasional highway running - beat up all you want on corollas, almeras, B*, yaris and thing. Cheap to own, run and maintain. Can take serious abuse.

The other can be a temperamental whore, but will respond like a muthaf*cker when you sink the go pedal. Treat her well and she'll be good. Maintenance and running costs would be higher. Don't buy a Subaru if your maintenance budget is low and if you have a problem filling premium fuel, despite the 'experts' who can advise you to run super
(don't).
The upside with this example is that it appears to be the STI (or a good conversion?), which should be a solid motor with the 6spd trans. HELL YEA.

Assess your situation and choose wisely.

gboson
Street 2NR

Postby gboson » December 1st, 2013, 6:51 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:comparing chalk and cheese.

One is a reliable grocery getter with a little pep for the occasional highway running - beat up all you want on corollas, almeras, B*, yaris and thing. Cheap to own, run and maintain. Can take serious abuse.

The other can be a temperamental whore, but will respond like a muthaf*cker when you sink the go pedal. Treat her well and she'll be good. Maintenance and running costs would be higher. Don't buy a Subaru if your maintenance budget is low and if you have a problem filling premium fuel, despite the 'experts' who can advise you to run super
(don't).
The upside with this example is that it appears to be the STI (or a good conversion?), which should be a solid motor with the 6spd trans. HELL YEA.

Assess your situation and choose wisely.

I haven't viewed the car in person yet but talking to the owner he has replaced the previous ej20 engine with one with much lower mileage. All parts that were ever replaced are strictly OEM so that's promising. I've been researching means to identify an original STI and I will be accompanied by a mechanic before any transactions are considered. Anyone know any reputable subby mechanics to scrutinize the car?

Additionally my maintenance budget is limited. I will more than likely be able to afford filling premium however even today someone has emphasized the 'headache thing' and 'parts expensive' that seems to permeate these reviews.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » December 1st, 2013, 7:26 pm

car seem legit....

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » December 1st, 2013, 8:11 pm

He replaced the engine?

It would be impossible to know if he replaced it with a ej207 semi closed block.

Did the heads on the bug eye come with avcs? If so, it should be fairly simple to determine if it's Sti heads.

It should be fairly simple to verify the chassis though. Look for the GDB code.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » December 2nd, 2013, 10:09 am

Lance wrote:He replaced the engine?

It would be impossible to know if he replaced it with a ej207 semi closed block.

Did the heads on the bug eye come with avcs? If so, it should be fairly simple to determine if it's Sti heads.

It should be fairly simple to verify the chassis though. Look for the GDB code.

can look at engine number on block to confirm if 207 was used to swap...

jdm buy eye came with avcs...not sure about sdm...

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”