TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Need help tuners, legacy not starting

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Need help tuners, legacy not starting

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 1st, 2014, 10:09 am

My legacy not starting after I changed the battery in the key.
I am getting one tumble but no start. Then when I turn the key again no tumble.
If I remove the key from the ignition, and reinsert it I will get the one tumble again.

The key is opening the door and trunk like normal. Could the immobilizer part be damaged. I only opened the key and removed/replaced the battery.

Is there a way to re-sync the key to the car? Is this normal when u change the battery in the key?

My car is the local 2004 legacy gt turbo.

Any advice would help...767-8919

spirited721
Trinituner Peong

Re: Need help tuners, legacy not starting

Postby spirited721 » January 1st, 2014, 10:49 am

Dont you have a spare key to try? See of it starts the vehicle. If it does then your other key probably needs to be programed. If you, you have a problem.

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 1st, 2014, 10:52 am

No spare key...

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 1st, 2014, 7:57 pm

Anyone know anyone who can trouble shoot this problem?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » January 1st, 2014, 9:08 pm

If its local go to the firm.....

t&t tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby t&t tech » January 1st, 2014, 10:17 pm

Is your security light remaining on when u turn the ignition on?

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 2nd, 2014, 1:05 am

Car not at my home...
When you say security light, what exactly are you referring to. The flashing key on the dash...or the ring around the ignition key slot.
Or the dome light?
If it is on what does it mean?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » January 2nd, 2014, 2:05 am

Key on dash...u sure the battery in the car isnt dead right?

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 2nd, 2014, 9:09 am

Yeah I'm sure...I was using the car all day and then in the evening the only thing I did was removed the battery from the key and replaced it.
I even removed the battery pole to reset the ecu, thinking this could help.
But I don't think the ecu is tied to the security control unit like that.
I never noticed it before but the key light on the dash stays on when I tumble the engine. Is this normal?

t&t tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby t&t tech » January 2nd, 2014, 10:19 am

Your issue is with the factory transponder.
Try opening the key up and make sure all parts are in the correct place. Highly unlikely this will fix ur problem. If u did damage the transponder chip by mistake and u have no spare key, be prepared to fork out some cash.

Where u from? I might be able to take a look at your key and see wat's happening.

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 2nd, 2014, 10:33 pm

Well I had a guy from n&m come and run a diagnostic on it....the key and car is not communicating...showing a trouble code. He cleared the code and tried to reprogram the key without success. According to the trouble-shooting manual (I assume from N&M) it recommends to change out the following, body integration unit (BIU) KEY, instrument panel. Then re-program everything to match. Sounds like hefty $$$$$$.
All of this started with only the removal of the battery from the key. The n&m guy is saying that when you change the battery in the key you have to re-sync the key with the car by pressing the lock or unlock button on the key 5 times. I of course did not do or know that.
When I tried starting the car by switching the key in the ignition multiple times, I guess the car saw me as a burglar and shut down the BIU permanently. I checked the user manual and of course it says nutting about this. Only carry your key to a Subaru dealer to change the battery...yeah right...which red blooded man cannot change a battery??? Lol

Anyone have experience like this before? I sure some of us must have changed the battery in the key by now.

Will let all know how things are progressing.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » January 2nd, 2014, 10:57 pm

Usually that battery is for keyless entry and not the transponder tho...sounds like bs

legacyspecb
Street 2NR

Postby legacyspecb » January 2nd, 2014, 11:19 pm

Dude...i have chg'd the battery in the key fob on at least 3 legacy's, at least twice each, and never had to do the re-sync procedure you speak off..so that sounds kinda iffy if u ask me..

I always tell people..if your legacy came with one key..get another one cut and prog'd asap..it's cheap $900

Anways the battery in the key fob is for the keyless entry and yes it provides 'some' power to the transponder chip...however..even if the battery in the key fob was dead..if u place the key in the ignition..by being in proximity to the lighted ring on the ignition (that's where the antenna is) it should start..the transponder (passive chip) in the key fob still has enough 'juice' to still start the car..might take a few seconds well from my experience

You can go to one of those places that programs the transponder keys..they can read the code off the original key and trans it to a new key which might be able to start it..try that first before you go changing all them tings..

The code is recognized by the BIU i tink...so i'm not sure how all of a sudden it's not reading it....try the simple stuff first and let us know

t&t tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby t&t tech » January 2nd, 2014, 11:48 pm

The battery does not power the transponder. It is a completely passive system on the key side. You should not have to change out all those things......it should be a simple ordering of a new key and programming, i may be able to put u on to somebody, i will talk to him tomm to find out if he can help you.

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 3rd, 2014, 12:08 am

Thanks for the response guys....I am pulling hair out of my head now....
I thought it sounded like BS also. No where in the user manual does it say to re-sync the key to the car....the guy from N&M is telling me these things...so I was believing him...he is supposed to be the expert....how could a simple battery change "spoil" all dem parts in the car. He also want me to reck the car to his place so he can work on it on evenings...
Could you link me the number of the people that programs the transponder keys???
T&t tech, where u located...pm me ur number...will give u a call tomorrow.

This sucks, if is not dem idiots in insurance companies who don't want to insure subies, is knuckleheads from N&M trying to scam u...

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 3rd, 2014, 12:11 am

On another note is there a way to by-pass the whole immobilizer system...

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » January 3rd, 2014, 12:42 am

There is a walk around but it involves hiding a functioning transponder near the ignition...

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 3rd, 2014, 6:28 am

Yeah I read about this on some forum...I was more thinking about a programming or wiring bypass....actually the biu unit controls many things in the car besides the immobilizer. So I don't want to mess with it.
I have a partner in vistabella who programs keys for all dem european vehicles, BMW, audi etc....I will check him today. Maybe his machine could do subaru also... His garage name is top gear....

t&t tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby t&t tech » January 3rd, 2014, 7:41 am

1.6 TURBO wrote:On another note is there a way to by-pass the whole immobilizer system...

Not without a valid key.

That guy is trying to make money off u. Dishonest people takin advantage of those who depend on them for solutions. I will pm you my number. Call me.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 3rd, 2014, 9:03 am

Try High Tech Locksmiths in St Augustine.

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 3rd, 2014, 12:02 pm

Ahaaaaaa....problem solved....apparently when I opened the key the transponder chip fell out between the seats. I found it under the driver seat....so the N&M guy was scamming me for sure because he opened the key also and should know what the chip looks like and if it was missing...
One thing I learned is the transponder chip does not work with the battery and is separate from the lock/unlock feature of the key...see picture...
Google really helped me here because I knew what to look for from the picture...
Thanks tuners for all the help...this was an experience...
Cost to solve problem $0.00....just time in reading....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 4103 times

t&t tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby t&t tech » January 3rd, 2014, 5:02 pm

Good to hear man. See how some fellas dishonest.
I honestly didn't think u wud have displaced the transponder. But glad u found it. Subaru really should embed that better though.

legacyspecb
Street 2NR

Postby legacyspecb » January 3rd, 2014, 7:12 pm

The transponder is usually embedded much more secure than that..one has to physically try to remove it..so you key fob may have taken some wear and tear that caused the chip to become loose..

For the guys with the newer legacy's with the push to start system, the transponder is active and it does receive power from the battery to amplify the signal so one can leave the key in their pocket and the antenna in the push to start system will 'pick' up the code

If your battery is dead..you can still hold the key fob next to the 'push' button until it lights up and then proceede to start...i have personally tested this and it works. Jus a point to note in an event of an emergency and you key fob battery quits lol

1.6 TURBO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 1.6 TURBO » January 3rd, 2014, 8:55 pm

Yeah if u flip the key over it would fall right out...didn't even notice it....
I think it may fit more snug in a new key....we'll glad that's over....
Happy to be driving again....
Now others know what the transponder looks like if they search on tuner....
Thanks again guys if AARON 2NR did not mention transponder I would not have known what to look for on google...

copper_shot
Riding on 16's

Postby copper_shot » January 6th, 2014, 9:51 am

i now saw this post and came to reply

this happened to me, opened the key and chip fell out
car didn't start after, found the chip on the table put it back in and everything worked
sorry I didn't see this sooner

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”