TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

02 WRX rim size specs?

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

02 WRX rim size specs?

Postby Tired Accord » November 23rd, 2006, 2:53 pm

Brethren - I am in search of a set of rims for an 02 WRX. NASIOC indicates that a min of 48mm offset is needed. I want to be able to run with 225 width tyres. But then I heard somewhere that the higher offsets are only for the STi's, and that 42-45mm should be sufficient. Any of you WRX owners (not STi) out there changed your stock wheels, and what are the sizes you runnin? Thanks.

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » November 23rd, 2006, 2:56 pm

The WRX has a 53 offset, 16" rim, 7" wide i think, 5x100
The Forester has the lowerst offset at 48mm
The WRX STI has the same offset as normal WRX, 53mm, stick to that and you have no problem running 225

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » November 23rd, 2006, 3:36 pm

Tanks - I was aware of those specs....but...it realllll hard to get good looking (cheapish) rims wit dem kinda offset horse! Anybody else?

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » November 24th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Any scooby owners out there change they stock rims??? (Non STi).

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » November 25th, 2006, 2:15 am

Well I have some questions
How do you expect the car to respond to you messing around with the steering and suspension geometry?
Do you know that stock rims are many many times stronger than the "good looking(cheapish)" rims that you are looking for?
You gonna have to spend the change to get anything near the stock quality and correct specs.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 26th, 2006, 6:45 pm

^^Not to mention that the stock rims are also lighter. A WRX is not a car to go and by cheapo rims for.

Don't expect to find rims in any local shop for a WRX.

Anyway, to add to what InDeForest said, you CAN get away with a 48 mm...even a 45 mm offset.....if you have a rim width of 7.5" and above. Also, the type of calipers on the car will affect what type of offset you can get away with. If your car carries the regular sliding caliper brakes, they require less clearance, than say the 4 pot/2 pot brakes found on a few WRX's.

But as 'forest rightly said, you'll be changing the geometry of the car....not a good idea. Keep in mind that a car like a WRX, STi, Evo, runs negative camber on all four wheels (significant -ve camber in the rear). Heavy "cheapo" rims only reduce the handling capability of the car.

Plus using rims with different offsets can affect the handling....positively or negatively.

Here are some rims to consider:

5-Zigen FN01R-C

Enkei RPF-01

Enkei NT03

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”