TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Shipping/Importing vehicle to Trinidad...

MAZDA People United - it continues here

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

techspeak
Street 2NR

Shipping/Importing vehicle to Trinidad...

Postby techspeak » September 3rd, 2008, 4:08 pm

hey fellas, has anyone had ANY experience with shipping a vehicle into Trinidad? I'm trying to move there from Canada and want to bring my car. I heard taxes for larger engines is CRAZY, is it true? Anyone know of any vehicle shippers that specialize from Canada to Trinidad?

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 3rd, 2008, 5:12 pm

dude, you do realize that trinidad is getting really bad right?, high crime, high food prices, poor health system, poor infrastructure, poor governance, the only thing we have here that is great is low gas prices, and that is going to end soon, at least you all have a functioning anti-crime system, good health system, i recommend against it... think about it really well before deciding eh... and yeah, you can import the car, but it wont be possible for you to have it registered for road use locally as it is older than 4 years old, you can import it as "for parts" but you will have to pay 30% duty on its value, than 15% VAT on the dutied amount(vehicle worth +duty)...good luck, you can try tropical shipping, i will get a number for you later for ISL who also does big shipping.

Mr. H
Riding on 13's

Postby Mr. H » September 3rd, 2008, 5:15 pm

Hey Dude - Me & Mrs. H are in a similar situation, we're returning to Trini from the UK. There are tax breaks to be had for Trini nationals (& their spouses) who are returning home and importing their personal vehicles.

If car prices in Canada are anything like they are in UK, it makes far more sense to import anything, rather than 'flash cash' round dealers and the 2nd hand car ads. For full details Google 'importing cars to Trinidad', and there is something on the Govt website.

It does involve getting an import licence from the Govt offices in Tunapuna, you are limited to one car for yourself, and one for your other half, and you can't sell them on within 3 years of returning, but it seems to be well worth doing.

My example is - I can pick up a 2003 Toyota Hilux for about $50,000TT in the UK, shipping will cost me just over $15,000TT. Even if I only hold on to it for the 3 years that is going to equate to FREE motoring. Of course there's going to be the registration costs, but you'll have to pay that regaless of importing or buying locally.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » September 3rd, 2008, 5:16 pm

Are you crazy??? What the hell you leavin Canada to come and live in this backward country....listen...yuh need to read the news and see the amount of crap going on in this country and then make a more sensible decision

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » September 3rd, 2008, 5:20 pm

like ghost said people.....yuh really want to come back to Trinidad???

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » September 4th, 2008, 2:50 pm

welcome back home fellas

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 4th, 2008, 3:28 pm

u should let manning say that...

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » September 4th, 2008, 9:58 pm

hoss welcome to trinidad you will find this plenty , plenty info but most useless and not dealing with the questions asked
here is some more that might be useless but it might also help

MOTOR VEHICLES

(A) Requirements

In order to qualify for any relief of taxes, the person must satisfy all the following conditions:

The person must be eighteen years old and over, and
is a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, or
was formerly a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, or
has citizenship of two (2) countries, one of which is Trinidad and Tobago, or
is the spouse of a person referred to in sub-paragraphs (a), (b) or (c) above;

The person is the registered owner of the vehicle for at least six (6) months prior to his return to Trinidad and Tobago;

Must have resided abroad for a continuous period of at least five (5) years immediately prior to his return to Trinidad and Tobago;
intends to reside in Trinidad and Tobago permanently;
require the vehicle for his personal use;
must import the vehicle within six (6) months prior to or after his return;
must not sell or transfer the vehicle within two (2) years of its importation.
Once all the above conditions have been satisfied then in the case of a left hand drive vehicle, the importer is not required to obtain an Import Licence.
(B) Relief from Customs Duty

Customs duty is normally payable at the following rates:

Vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 1599 cubic capacity (cc)- 20%
Vehicles with an engine size exceeding 1599 cc but not exceeding 2000 cc - 25%
Vehicles with an engine size exceeding 2000 cc - 30%
Customs duty is based on the Cost, Insurance and Freight (C.I.F.) Value of the Vehicle.

A returning national can benefit from the relief of Customs duty at the following rates:-

where s/he is the registered owner of the vehicle for more than six months but not more than one (1) year, 25% of the duty payable. In other words the importer pays 75% of the duty payable.
where s/he is the registered owner of the vehicle for more than one (1) year but not more than two (2) years, 50% relief of the duty payable
where s/he is the registered owner of the vehicle for more than two (2) years, 90% relief of the duty payable. In other words, the importer pays 10% of the duty payable.
(C) Relief from Value Added Tax (VAT)

Value Added Tax is payable at a rate of 15%. It is calculated in the following manner:

15% of the C.I.F. Value + Customs Duty = VAT Payable

There is no relief from the payment of VAT in respect of a motor vehicle imported by a returning national.

(D) Relief from Motor Vehicle Tax

Motor Vehicle Tax is normally payable at the following rates:

engine size not exceeding 1599 cc Free
engine size exceeding 1599 cc but not exceeding 1799 cc – $ 4.00 per cc
engine size exceeding 1799 cc but not exceeding 1999 cc – $ 8.00 per cc
engine size exceeding 1999 cc but not exceeding 2499 cc – $21.00 per cc
engine size exceeding 2499 cc but not exceeding 2999 cc – $25.00 per cc
engine size exceeding 2999 cc but not exceeding 3499 cc – $30.00 per cc
engine size exceeding 3499 cc – $45.00 per cc
However, a returning national may be granted relief from the payment of Motor Vehicle Tax at identical rates in the case of Customs duty as specified in (b), (aa), (bb) and (cc) above.

this web site where info was taken might be able to help you as you said you are returning from canada

http://www.ttmissions.com/faq.html

hope this helps

Mr. H
Riding on 13's

Postby Mr. H » September 5th, 2008, 10:23 am

There seems to be a bit of confusion.

I took my info from this website

http://www.tradeind.gov.tt/divisions/li ... ionals.htm

Which mentions nothing about import duty of age restrictions of the car. I have also seen similar info on another TT Govt website!!! Furthermore I know of a husband of a TT national, who when they returned brought about 1/2 dozen vehicles with them, one of which I know was first registered in the UK in 1989! (yeah nearly 20 years ago)

I have a feeling that if you pay your duty in cash and don't ask for a receipt :wink: Pretty much anything goes :)

I think I might check things out a bit more before I commit myself to a particular vehicle

<edit> Maybe this thread should be re-titled 'Does anyone know a friendly customs officer at POS dock?' :D

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » September 5th, 2008, 5:27 pm

techspeak, but a RHD R32 GTR in Canada for like 12k CDN and bring it down and you could sell it in 2 years as it is stated by the law, you'll make some decent $ as they rare in T&T and none can be imported.

techspeak
Street 2NR

Postby techspeak » September 6th, 2008, 6:14 pm

well, ghost, ek4ever, let me tell you all that you trini people dont know how good you have it! I understand theres a shooting, kidnapping here and there by some braindamaged goons, thats cool... here we have all dat plus oligarch government terror against the people. biological agents being used against the population covertly and small acts of terror. Our skies have been getting laced daily with barium, AlO2, ethylene dibromide---the sun getting blocked out of the sky, the humidity trapped in the air, combined with directed energy weapons to control the weather, which people are breathing in, exposed to and dying from. And to talk about this real sh*t is a CRIME! Our soil and water is all contaminated, the water is medicated. Our rights are gone, our laws are strictly commerce, Police and private corporation being given infinite rights to torture and harass people and its VERY real, not just talk. These are mind controlled Stasi/Gestapo-like forces. This place is a police state. Here in North America, is basically 'Nazi Germany the year or two before WW2', trust me, problems are getting bad everywhere because for any of you that know, there are entities making very specific things happen according to a very specific and long term plan. TnT as far as i know isnt quite a police state... and the geography is beautiful and it's not really a target for man made weatehr warfare, although the man made storms may brush the island. (like the lineup of man-made storms coming off the coast of africa right now). The North American "first world" dream is simply comfortable, ever-distracted slavery consisting of a slaveforce that has no idea they are debt-slaves. Problem is, now is the illusion's designated ending.... the house of cards is crumbling. We could never sustain this deluded state of life, and now EVERYONE is fully dependant on 'the system'. Once that's gone peopel will be left with no leaders and no skills. and most people here are matrixed and distracted, entertained to fuggin death that they havent the time and wherewithall to even see any of it. But I'm digressing...

Mr. H, hong kong - thanks for that info, its good to know TnT are willing to offer 'tax breaks'... I'd just like to bring my old car there but depending on the cost of shipping, I'm far from being rich!

Maserati - That wouldnt be a bad idea, but 12K CDN I just dont have! I cant understand how a RHD Japan import would be not allowed there, considering all yuh drive RHD Japanese imports!?

greypatch, respect!! thank you, you guys are helpful..... hows the job situation and such ?? any work for homeless migrant tuners?

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » September 6th, 2008, 8:40 pm

techspeak...interesting bit of info....but again do you really have a handle on the realities of life in Trinidad now?

Last I checked Canada was ranked as number 2 in the world for standard of living....just to keep things in perspective....Trinidad currently has:

Poor health care system
failing education system
Lax or non-existent environmental laws
Ineffective law enforcement
Poor and failing infrastructure
Chronic flooding
Escalating crime....the stats speak for themselves
Endemic corruption
escalating cost of living
limited natural resources
little or no long term strategic planning by governments
booming illegal drug trade and illegal arms and ammunition trafficking
intimidated population
record levels of kidnappings, murders, violent crimes
indiscipline on our roadways, in schools in public institutions....by the public in general

paradise you say? In your dreams

techspeak
Street 2NR

Postby techspeak » September 6th, 2008, 10:15 pm

hey ek, thanks for the insight... I'm fully aware trust me!!
The same issues are happening here too, and it's only getting worse... i cant even begin to get into why

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » September 7th, 2008, 4:41 pm

techspeak, current laws in T&T are you cannot import a car that is over 4 years old..so the r32 is out as well as many others.

techspeak
Street 2NR

Postby techspeak » September 7th, 2008, 9:21 pm

really?? over 4 yrs old thats kind of tight still... is there NO exceptions?

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » September 8th, 2008, 4:58 am

the onlyoption might be to bring it in as a returning national or bring it in as scrap and look for a crashed one here to buy and fix dat using your parts but good luck findin a cheap (even crashed) r32 here

Tridenture
Riding on 13's

Re: Shipping/Importing vehicle to Trinidad...

Postby Tridenture » July 2nd, 2015, 12:56 pm

Not sure what the current laws and taxes are, but you should talk to a company that does it regularly to make sure you get accurate information. There can be a lot of hangups and extended costs due to necessary paperwork and the normal shipping procedures which can be delayed. The taxes and licensing would be my main concerns since, not to mention there may be certain engine size limitations and things like that. I've heard good things about A-1 Auto Transport so you might try them, if only to get some information and a cost estimate. Definitely reach out to a few shippers to see if the information you get is consistent. Good luck!

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » July 6th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Holy 7 year bump Batman !!

JohnMelendez
Riding on 13's

Postby JohnMelendez » September 10th, 2020, 8:20 am

Hello. I am attaching my answer to this message since I had a similar situation. Could you help me with advice in finding a reliable car trucking company at the present time. Thank you for your help :roll:

RobertoMillsaps
Riding on 13's

Postby RobertoMillsaps » September 10th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Hello. With pleasure I can answer you because I often use and recommend this company for the carriage of cars to everyone. This company, in my opinion, corresponds to the price and quality. Https://getcarrier.com/blog/car-shipping-cost/ equipped with professional equipment for which the distance and weight of the car is not a problem. I believe that for the period of 2020 it is a super tech company.
Happy to help)

Advertisement

Return to “MAZDA”