Forums

RX 8

MAZDA People United - it continues here

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

geodude
Riding on 18's

Re: RX 8

Postby geodude » May 19th, 2010, 1:54 am

i want the manual but i want all of the goodie ( Bose audio, sunroof, xenon head lights, leather seats, power seat, 18" rims, fogs, spoiler, steering wheel audio and blah blah blah ), i want the manual for the driving plesure, i love changing my gears, i always had manual vehicles but my current vehicle was a Tip and not eh same

i guess i will get the manual and eventually add in the goodies, i hate fabric interiors, that will have to be the first change.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 19th, 2010, 5:14 am

^^Some Type S's come with cream leather interior (shinka / sport prestige limited)

Some base model 8's came with a black / red leather interior (True Red style).

i guess i will get the manual and eventually add in the goodies

If it's local pre-owned RORO, I'm guessing it's a white 5 spd base RX8?

well thing is i was poking around rx8club.com and they made it seem like it was easy to get extra HP without going into the engine, such as changing the size of the exhaust, and other things,

?

Post some links........I'm on the RX8club boards everyday (different username of course) and I've yet to see that.

Most times the R.o.t. is that CB exhausts for example net little hp if any on the 8. Header backs might give around 8-10 hp if so much. Intakes, probably about 5....but more gains on the base than the type S here. We can't reflash the JDM ECU locally.....but they can tune/reflash the USDM ECU with the Cobb AP.

Other than that, I can't see how you can reach a 40+ hp gain without going without porting, rotating mass reduction.

Or, from another angle, HP is like the rate of application of tq. in a sense. Both engines have the same tq output, but the 6 port S has higher HP due to much higher revs.

But even to that end, it's not a matter of just increasing the revlimit on the base 4 port engine, as then, the engine can't accomodate the required higher air flow to build the power (since the auxilliary port is missing and there's no fuel mapping to support it).

So no matter what bolt ons you do, it'll still be hard unless you can at least get some sort of reflash/PCM adjustment/EM system to compensate. Bolt on mods hardly work on any modern ECU controlled N/A car these days.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 19th, 2010, 7:15 pm

this post has a few nice ideas which do not require direct modification of the internal engine system,
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=163824

to sum up sone of the ideas, intake upgrade (5-8 hp),
1) muffler system updgrade (typical gains 10 -15 hp),
2) change out to lighter wheels( less rotational Mass, more efficent use of power),
3) pullys (lighter same as wheels) also ( as the pullys are alreay light weight in the RX8 the gains here are achived by using smaller pullies to underdrive the system it is recommened to only do this to the water pump pully typical gains 5-7 hp),
4) short shifter replacement for a manual transmission car, ( by shortening the height and the distance required to shift gears installing a short shifter can make changing gears faster and more precise, the short shifter is arguably the most enjoyable and greatest value of all the rx8 modifications to date. Rarely do you hear of a problem with the short shifter or someone who doesn't think its a night and day difference between the stock version.)
5) air freshners
see what i meant, simple chages that should imporve the driving experieicne of your vehicle and you gain a lil more Zoom Zoom too. :)

but yeah for more than 40 you need to do as you said above or get one of these
Esmeril Racing RX-8 Turbo Kit 8-) 8-)

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 19th, 2010, 7:30 pm

^^Selective reading eh. I highlighted some of the points that bolster what I've been saying:

If you put the best headers with no emissions equipment, and no muffler you would only gain 7-15 hp

You only get those gains if you run NO MUFFLER, if you have no ECM adjustment.

the higher numbers (10-15hp) [u]are dependent on aftermarket modification of the rx8's engine computer to utilize these changes.

Which was my point. Even IF you put on an I/H/E system, you won't get anywhere NEAR that unless you:

Knight1 wrote:get some sort of reflash/PCM adjustment/EM system to compensate.

Piggyback? EM? Either one is gonna cost you a couple o' grand TT$.

Also, there's a nice article posted somewhere on the site where a comparison of various aftermarket and custom exhausts were done.......some were actually shown to have no gains, or a LOSS of power (including some supposed bigname brands). IIRC, the best results were from racingbeat, HKS, and one other (think it was the TurboXS).

So if you wanna get those kinda gains, you're probably going to have to shell out some good $$ for a brandname system, as I hardly think a local "crush bent" system will cut it.....and the EM to give you the gains you need.

Lastly, keep in mind that:

rx8club wrote:Final Info: The numbers may look attractive if you add them up. But the gains do not stack.

Not all mods add up to enjoyment either...... Choose your route carefully, and don't always assume aftermarket = better than stock. That isn't always the truth.

If it were me, I'd look at a Mazdaspeed exhaust and maybe a lighter flywheel + counterweight (if I were due for a clutch change).
Last edited by Alpha_2nr on May 19th, 2010, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 19th, 2010, 7:37 pm

fine i going by the bamboo and buy ah big arse truck turbo, meet meh by the GB light in 1 hr,

sriously though i remember seeing somthing about an electric super charger that connects to your intake system almost like a KN filter, what you think bout that
i will try to find the link

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 19th, 2010, 7:42 pm

LOL.....just giving my 2c.

sriously though i remember seeing somthing about an electric super charger that connects to your intake system almost like a KN filter, what you think bout that
i will try to find the link

Oh ho.....that (I call it the "motorised Tornado fuel saver" ) :lol: I'll let other folks chime in on that one. If I give my take, folks will say I'm bashing. :lol:

LEVIAHAN
Ricer

Postby LEVIAHAN » May 19th, 2010, 8:53 pm

geodude wrote:good info guys and very quickly too,
well thing is i was poking around rx8club.com and they made it seem like it was easy to get extra HP without going into the engine, such as changing the size of the exhaust, and other things,
i am thinking about buying an rx 8 and i have my eye on 2 one of which is 2005 tip with paddle shifters and the other is 2007 manual and both are basically the same price range and have the same milage, however the 2005 is has a few goodies so i was trying to make up my mind.

Think I know the 2007 manual one. The guy lives in Rio Claro. The car is well kept and sits all day doing nothing. Its practically brand new.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 19th, 2010, 9:35 pm

yep thats the one but he just told me its a 5 forward not 6 :cry:

aren't you looking for one also right now?

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 19th, 2010, 9:43 pm

loving the interior in this one though

07_564.jpg
07_564.jpg (111.16 KiB) Viewed 8110 times

08_551.jpg
08_551.jpg (111.36 KiB) Viewed 8110 times

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 20th, 2010, 5:51 am

^^That's the "true red" edition. Saw a Shinka on trinicarsforsale also:

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 20th, 2010, 7:13 pm

is there somthing special about the true red edition?
so given that the manaul i was considering turnes out to be 5 forward and the other car i was thinking about is the red one above which do you think would be the more fun vehicle?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 20th, 2010, 8:26 pm

is there somthing special about the true red edition?

Nothing other than the two tone leather interior.

so given that the manaul i was considering turnes out to be 5 forward and the other car i was thinking about is the red one above which do you think would be the more fun vehicle?

That's only a question you can answer, as each person has different tastes. Some folks can't stand to drive manuals daily. Others can't stand autos.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 20th, 2010, 9:08 pm

that did not help , lol

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » May 21st, 2010, 9:09 am

dude u aint buy the 8 yet?

I dunno bout alluh nah, but I feeling this one, a very economical replacement for frequent sex IMHO.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 21st, 2010, 9:45 am

I dunno bout alluh nah, but I feeling this one, a very economical replacement for frequent sex IMHO.

Depends on how frequent :lol:

Seriously though, here's another one for your comments - BMW 1 series coupe....namely, the 125i and the 123d.

Yes....the D......as in diesel.

With the sport package.

How do you think that stcks up against a rev happy coupe like the 8? The hp figures are suprising (about 200 IIRC), and the TQ.....OMG.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » May 21st, 2010, 10:42 am

I don't think the RX-8 should be directly compared to the BMW 125i or even the 123d because the BMW is a premium compact coupe with piston engines one of which is diesel. The BMW becomes a strong business case since its marginally more expensive but they get better fuel economy more so with the Diesel. The BMW's do handle well and have excellent brakes and steering response. The RX-8 is a fun car that competes well with existing sports cars despite having a rotary design (which by default has a torque disadvantage) and being 7 years old. It just goes to show that power means nothing if you can't enjoy it or utilise it the way it was designed to. Both are extremely capable machines. Having said that the experts at Car and Driver have these results for us based on overall performance in a comparison test (April 2009). One more thing as I mentioned before, Mazda did pretty damn well IMHO to create a N/A rotary design displacing 1.3L and having so little power/torque yet it could bat with those "big" boys and still chase a BMW M5 on a track. I say thats pretty damn well impressive and it was never designed to be a replacement for the FD3S. God help those other sports cars when the next rotary makes its debut. For now as the RX-8 grows in age a new comer is now tearing up the streets, its called the Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

1st Nissan 370Z
2nd BMW 135i
3rd Mazda RX-8 R3
4th Pontiac Solstice GXP

In June 2007 another C&D test gave these results:

1st Mazda RX-8
2nd Audi TT 2.0T
3rd Nissan 350Z
4th Ford Shelby Mustang GT

In April 2003 the C&D comparo results were:

1st Mazda RX-8
2nd Infiniti G35 Coupe
3rd Ford SVT Mustang Cobra

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 21st, 2010, 2:04 pm

For now as the RX-8 grows in age a new comer is now tearing up the streets, its called the Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Si Si.

And I'd have me the 2.0T over the V6 (just for the taxes of course :lol: )

I believe an R&T '05 comparo (or was it '04?) put the RX8 above the G35 coupe in a head to head test as well......purely because of more handling finesse.

I see it also made C&D's '09 listing for best cars used under 20K (along with the Evo mind you). Subaru was no where to be found :lol: :lol:

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 21st, 2010, 5:47 pm

In June 2007 another C&D test gave these results:

1st Mazda RX-8
2nd Audi TT 2.0T
3rd Nissan 350Z
4th Ford Shelby Mustang GT :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:D 8-) 8-) 8-)

thats nice to know, but this was 2007 3 years ago, any more recent ratings,

RX8
acesinghit wrote:dude u aint buy the 8 yet?

i only start looking for a car this month when i return to Trini i will get one but i kinda sure it will be a RX8

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 21st, 2010, 7:23 pm

thats nice to know, but this was 2007 3 years ago, any more recent rating

Considering the fact that if you buy a RORO 8, it would be probably around that age?

No not really....the only more recent reviews to be found would be those of the R3 (see the blue 8 acesinghit posted up). The R3 is the more extreme version of the facelifted RX8.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » May 22nd, 2010, 2:15 pm

Well this is all I can find for now....so enjoy the info!

Motor Trend March 2004 comparison test results:

1st Mazda RX-8
2nd Nissan 350Z
3rd Honda S2000

Road and Track 7/1/04 comparison between Mazdaspeed RX-8 and Nismo 350Z S-Tune and rated them equal.

Car and Driver Annual 10 Best Cars awards included the RX-8 for three years in a row (04', 05' and 06')

The RX-8 Renesis engine was voted International Engine of the Year 2003 and awarded Best New Engine 2003.

Ward's 10 Best Engines included the Renesis in their list for 04' and 05'.

2003 Japanese Car of the year
Australia Wheels Magazine Car of the Year 2003
2004 Singapore Car of the Year
2004 United States Best Sports Car

2nd Place North American Car of the Year 2004
2004 Automobile Magazine All-Star Coupe
2004 RJC Car of the Year

Fifth Gear recorded a faster lap time for the RX-8 vs the Alfa Romeo GT V6

Fifth gear recorded 43.32s for the 306HP Nissan 350Z and 44.51s for the 228HP RX-8 on their test track a difference of 1.19s in favour of the Z which has a 78HP advantage of power and 107ft-lbs of torque. Boo for the 350Z!

Top Gear recorded the same lap-time for both the 350Z and RX-8.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 22nd, 2010, 3:54 pm

^^Nice compilation!

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 22nd, 2010, 5:33 pm

ditto
some good stats here

i'll print it and memorise it so when ppl ask why i buy ah RX8 i will have somthing to say other than i find the car pretty. :D :lol:

i serious.....

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 28th, 2010, 9:45 pm

FOund this link......yeah it's in Japanese, but this is where the purported "250 hp" figure came from.
It's possible though, that Mazda revised the power figure later on for lower octane?

http://www.mazda.co.jp/service/ownersma ... /home.html

Yes it's in Japanese, but it kinda shows some interesting stuff, including deflooding.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 29th, 2010, 8:05 pm

so i have a question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because they say questions are good ways to find stuff out... who knew??
i have read that staggered rims tend to reduce the handling abilty of a vehicle,
if this is true, and considering that one of the main pleasures of a RX8 is the 50-50 weight distribution which achives the famous handling abilities of the car,
i was wondering how this applies to the RX8,
i.e how much effect will staggered rims have on the performace of a 8, is it N.A, minor, drastic, within acceptable boundries if you love the staggered look?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 29th, 2010, 8:55 pm

^^Staggering helps RWD cars that tend to have snap oversteer on power application in a corner. Essentially, the keep the rear more planted, which leads to less oversteer when power is being applied.

IMHO, the RX8 on the stock wheel setup handles in a near "neutral" manner, with understeer almost non-existent. Running staggered wheels will effectively increase understeer under hard cornering.....how much...depends on what size!

There's no empirical method to determine how much understeer you will get with a given size of staggered setups.....as there are other factors that can play into that.

The long and short of it is that it IS detrimental to handling on a near stock RX8...but will please the masses when it comes to looks, especially since few folks will ever really reach the limits of handling on that car, nor will they know what to expect when they reach there.

I also imagine it may affect the DSC/TSC, but I'm not sure how.

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 29th, 2010, 9:10 pm

ok next question it seems that the verdict is still out on the benefits of premix, ie adding small amounts of oil to your fuel( i have seen everything from lawnmover oil, to snow mobile oil basicaly some sort of 2 stroke oil),
what do you guys think about this is it redundant ( we know that the RX already injects oil into the combustion chambers ), will it make a difference in engine life, (longer, shorter)

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 29th, 2010, 9:15 pm

ok next question it seems that the verdict is still out on the benefits of premix, ie adding small amounts of oil to your fuel( i have seen everything from lawnmover oil, to snow mobile oil basicaly some sort of 2 stroke oil),
what do you guys think about this is it redundant ( we know that the RX already injects oil into the combustion chambers ), will it make a difference in engine life, (longer, shorter)

Most folks down here don't even use premix in their 7's cuz they don't know about it.

Do research on RX8Club and come to your own conclusions.....hasn't been a definitive conclusion on that eitherway.

I'd probably use Idemitsu premix though......just cuz I'm paranoid about stuff like that :lol:

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » May 29th, 2010, 9:28 pm

man RX8club has been arguing for 7 years and 51 pages weather or not they should use synthetic or mineral, :P :P

the premix thread is also quite ageable and got to the point where they were arguning about RX engines in light aircrafts :shock: , both in conclusive,

good arguments on all side, i figure i will just life without it or maybe try it once and see if i see any immediate benifit, some reported that they experieced imporvements in Milage 1-2 miles per gallon extra, which is basically N.A.
also reports that some experieced better reve responce and idleing using the Premix, so maybe i would try it if i see nothing to keep me happy then forget it.

as you mentioned Idemitsu premix does seem like the best addidative to use though Idemitsu premix

i know you are against synthetic oil, if a guy was using it for lets say 20-30 k and i then the oil was switched to mineral, what sort of damage do you think might have been done to the engine

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 30th, 2010, 5:54 am

i know you are against synthetic oil, if a guy was using it for lets say 20-30 k and i then the oil was switched to mineral, what sort of damage do you think might have been done to the engine

You could have buildup in the engine, which could lead to a loss of compression over time due to increased seal wear. Other than that, there's no other way to tell in the immediate/short term.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » May 31st, 2010, 12:43 am

did someone mention rims? :twisted:

Volk TE37 gun metals FTW!

Advertisement

Return to “MAZDA”