TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 5th, 2016, 3:01 pm

MG Man wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:That said I wasn't buying any of the other new cars in the Jetta's price bracket cuz none of them have the performance in terms of acceleration/top speed and potential for mods.

always the case when buying Euro....you trade Japanese reliability for handling and performance (and manly door hinges), and accept the risk that you may very well cry blood at some point
That said, VW's recent local track record really has me spooked
Anyone drove the pommerac van yet?

I don't get the impression local BMW vehicles have alot of issues. Might be a nice place to be for a while. Likewise I hardly hear Benz stories. Not that I really researched them as deeply as I've done with local VW vehicles.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 5th, 2016, 3:09 pm

BMW and Benz owners usually too busy balling to be posting on tuner
#datlife

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 5th, 2016, 3:17 pm

:cry:

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » January 5th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Agreed to a point...there are a bit of issues with the new focus and fiesta for instance...and unless they are reported on trinituner the masses would be oblivious...the number of mechatronic issues Inhave heard of via word of mouth had been few, but heard Ansa is looking into none dsg focus' (unsure about this however)...also the fiesat sedan has issues with the steering column coupling which causes the car to pull to one side and makes a knocking sound, brake rotors last around 15k km...and maybe more...

Havent heard about any new model bmw but the number of 1yr old models being resold should be a comsideration

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 6:19 pm

So whats the hype on the euro vehicles then? If they are unreliable and low resale value why buy them as opposed to a Toyota or Nissan? I think it has to do more with name and flams... "I drive a BMW" sounds much cooler than "i drive a corolla".

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » January 5th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Like with the KIA(specific models), there are issues regarding clockspring failure and water dripping in the driver side cabin from the air conditioning line.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 5th, 2016, 6:38 pm

carluva wrote:So whats the hype on the euro vehicles then? If they are unreliable and low resale value why buy them as opposed to a Toyota or Nissan? I think it has to do more with name and flams... "I drive a BMW" sounds much cooler than "i drive a corolla".

For me I chose the Jetta mainly because of stock 0-60 times, decent handling and features over what was available back then. I like boost and I can't go back to a non turbo 1.6 or even 2.0 litre engine available in the new car segment today.

I also don't like toyota's styling of the Corolla and Yaris nor their feature list.

I don't think it has to do with flams in many cases. A BMW does in fact drive very differently from a Camry or Corolla. Performs better too.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » January 5th, 2016, 7:13 pm

The VW automatic transmission on the tiguan is a bit of a buzz kill. You really loose that direct connection feel, much less fun vs the dsg I had the pleasure of driving on the jetta. Would really dampen the fun if fitted on the jetta.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » January 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm

carluva wrote:So whats the hype on the euro vehicles then? If they are unreliable and low resale value why buy them as opposed to a Toyota or Nissan? I think it has to do more with name and flams... "I drive a BMW" sounds much cooler than "i drive a corolla".

The big advantage of a euro vehicle is attention to details and for people that appreciate that its hard to go back to a jap vehicle after owning a euro.

From the simple things like how the levers, shifters and buttons feel when you press them. The way the vehicles handle, steering wheel feel and engine and transmission tuning.

For this you sacrifice reliability and resale, If all you interested in is the fancy badge then I would say don't buy because you will regret it.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 5th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Technical issues aside, you don't see any differences from your former Passat and what Nissan and Toyota bring to the market? Performance, handling, safety, build quality all comparable in your book?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Well yes... The passat was a better feeling vehicle compared to say a corolla. In my search for a new vehicle, i looked at the new altima and that had a nice classy feel to it very similar to,the passat. I Settled for a rav4 which serves me well and quite frankly is probably better than the passat in my opinion. I think that when paying 250-300k for a vehicle, reliability and safety is first option for me and really the feel of the vehicle is not the most important thing.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Its a balance between reliability, comfort, build quality, safety, handling, performance and i think the passat was really good in some of those categories and failed in others. To me the nissans and toyotas are good in all those categories and that to me is a balance... You know... "All things considered".

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » January 5th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Dunno how you could balance all those things with a new car reliability should be number 1 every time If I wanted a nice somewhat reliable car I would look on the used market.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 5th, 2016, 9:01 pm

I'd have to disagree with you that Nissans and Toyotas are "good" in handling, performance, build quality and comfort in comparison. I might say they're "ok". Safety-wise I still don't feel the Japs have caught up to the Euros. They may have reliability as a plus.

My opinion of the Rav4 is vastly different.. but whatever floats your boat.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 9:01 pm

True you cant judge reliability on a new car but surely the reliability of the brand has to come in to play. I mean judging from this thread, one can infer that the vws are mostly unreliable and scare folks off. Its been alluded to a few times in this same thread but would you say the same of a toyota or nissan?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 9:03 pm

But what are you using as a judge for safety? ANCAP? EURONCAP? cause i guarantee that based on those independent testing labs euro and japs score 5 star safety ratings.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Curious tho... Whats your opinion of the rav 4?

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » January 5th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Hoss yuh done buy the car already. The opinion of others are not important at this point. Is either u are satisfied or not with ur purchase.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 9:13 pm

No need to get antsy. Of course i am happy with my decision. Whats wrong in askin opinions of others as they may have information related to vehicle issues? After all, its thru threads like these i rely on to get some useful tips and info.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 5th, 2016, 9:40 pm

carluva wrote:But what are you using as a judge for safety? ANCAP? EURONCAP? cause i guarantee that based on those independent testing labs euro and japs score 5 star safety ratings.

Safety based on what we actually get in the cars down here. Euroncap doesn't give you five stars if you have two airbags for example. Many of the Japanese vehicles don't ship here with all the systems that enabled them to get high ratings. When looking around at the time only the lancer had a multitude of airbags locally and the GT model was what I initially was going to get before the Jetta.

Anti skid recovery has helped me out before in the rain on the highway in the Jetta. Wasn't speeding but I guess I hit standing water and the car did its thing without much intervention from me and prevented a spin. I don't think that's a common feature on the Japanese cars in that price bracket (I could be wrong). I expect basically traction control and two airbags along with abs from them and that's it. That would probably be enough to get a 3 in the euroncap tests today.

There are other near little features in the Jetta that I didn't know about until I owned one that help safety wise so I guess all these combined are why me and others consider them "safer".

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2016, 9:47 pm

Seen and agreed... But curiously, in my reseearch, i found that ncap testing often considered the neat little features that contributed to the rating. So its likely (but stand corrected) that the jetta was given the safety ranking in consideration of those... Not so?

What i found is that the ncap provides a reposrt summary of the rating of the vehicle including the safety features and then this can be used to cross refernce what the vehicle has in the showroom. Many of the jap vehicles (and euro too i may add) being sold in trinidad had theses features and some even listed their ncap ranking. Perhaps this has changed quite a bit in the last few years...

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 6th, 2016, 7:21 am

carluva wrote:True you cant judge reliability on a new car but surely the reliability of the brand has to come in to play. I mean judging from this thread, one can infer that the vws are mostly unreliable and scare folks off. Its been alluded to a few times in this same thread but would you say the same of a toyota or nissan?

Something to consider is that there are no other threads on tuner giving this much info on a brand/model of vehicle. I'm sure if you combined all the other individual posts that Nissan/Toyota owners made into a large thread, one could also infer that those brands are problematic.

I had problems with my last Toyota. It wasn't as problem free as people hyped it up to be.
Before that was a Nissan, which was probably the worst suspension I ever experienced in a vehicle. Parts were cheap to replace, but needed to be replaced every few months.

As for the Rav4, it's pretty standard Toyota stuff. From my experience with the previous model: boring interior/dash, underwhelming performance, wasn't good on fuel (possibly due to a small gas tank), trunk space wasn't that great compared to other vehicles in its class. And lastly, with all current Toyotas... overpriced.

I don't see myself buying any Nissans or Toyotas in the future. That said, I probably won't go back with VW either (mostly due to the dealer/service). Can't say I'm loyal to any one brand as there are still many others out there worth checking.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » January 6th, 2016, 8:11 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:

For me I chose the Jetta mainly because of stock 0-60 times, decent handling and features over what was available back then. I like boost and I can't go back to a non turbo 1.6 or even 2.0 litre engine available in the new car segment today.

I also don't like toyota's styling of the Corolla and Yaris nor their feature list.

I don't think it has to do with flams in many cases. A BMW does in fact drive very differently from a Camry or Corolla. Performs better too.

Knocks glass on table for BMW.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 6th, 2016, 9:33 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:Agreed to a point...there are a bit of issues with the new focus and fiesta for instance...and unless they are reported on trinituner the masses would be oblivious...the number of mechatronic issues Inhave heard of via word of mouth had been few, but heard Ansa is looking into none dsg focus' (unsure about this however)...also the fiesat sedan has issues with the steering column coupling which causes the car to pull to one side and makes a knocking sound, brake rotors last around 15k km...and maybe more...

Havent heard about any new model bmw but the number of 1yr old models being resold should be a comsideration

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

wifey's focus is approaching 2 years old now, doing about 25,000kms.....no issue with the transmission, but you obviously have to get used to it....it's not like a slushbox, and sometimes the clutch will judder if it's hunting for the right gear. For example, if you gently accelerate and suddenly lift off, it's gonna pre-select the next lower gear...but gently lay on the accelerator and you can 'confuse it' and there can be a delay as it tries to figure out wtf u want to do....hers began juddering in crawling traffic, and I just drove it in 'sport' mode for a while, and it seems to be back to normal.....only issue with the car is the passenger door mirror stopped folding properly, and it was affecting the door lock as well....the dealer disabled the electrics to the mirror and ordered a replacement motor....since doing that, the power lock works fine, but they are still going to replace the power lock as well.....

wifey was a diehard corolla owner until she drove the new one...it drove just like her AE111.....and well once you get a feel for the handling and solid feel of a euro, as bunny said, it's hard to go back to a jap
Every japanese car I tested is floaty, wallowy and vague on the road, as is typical....I personally rather take my chances with a euro. I think VW is an extreme exception in terms of reliability

When we bought our first MINI Cooper back in 2002, everybody kept saying doh buy dat, dem ting is trouble etc...in my experience, most people who say euros are trouble have never actually owned one...the MINI only needed oil changes. The power steering pump failed after 8 years and a replacement cost US$600, which imo was not bad. A power steering hose began to leak and a replacement cost TT$300, again not bad at all. Rotors needed replacing after about 100,000kms, but that's normal for a euro....they tend to have softer rotors, which helps with braking....for an 'untested' car, I would say the MINI was more than worth the money

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 6th, 2016, 5:15 pm

All folks have different experiences with different vehicles and maybe the VW just left a sour taste in my mouth given the host of issues I faced... I mean really, would you expect that for a vehicle 3 yrs old i'd have to replace steering ends, replace clutch, replace front wheel bearings, replace front shocks and shock mounts at the same time as replacement of wheel bearings and replace mechatronics? The only good thing I'd admit is the VW Goodwill - without it I'd be paying thru my a$$ for these...

Curiously, this is the second negative experience I had with a Euro... My dad had an Audi A4 in the early 2000s (PBG series). Granted that was 15 yrs ago, that had a host of issues from failing AC to failing ECU, to failing transmission.

With these experiences I'd be hard pressed to go back VW/Audi or possibly Euro despite some of the niceties mentioned... which is a bit of a shame cause I always liked (and still do) the Golf GTI but will be very skeptical about the brand.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » January 6th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Anyone hear anything bad about Volvo??? Talked to some owners and they all seemed very happy, and they refreshing their line ups within the next 2 years.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 6th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Dem Euro car is chubble!

Good vehicles.. not sure how good Massy's after sale support is though.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » January 7th, 2016, 12:58 pm

It's much better than SS

A33_VQ35
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby A33_VQ35 » January 31st, 2016, 10:07 pm

Anyone has a copy of the MK6 Jetta Service manual???

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » February 1st, 2016, 11:32 am

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”