TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Induction to VW world...

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Re: Induction to VW world...

Postby VW_Exec » August 16th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Though I don't think they test drove the Highline, here is a very balanced comparison on both vehicles. Essentially, the vehicle are both roughly the same dimensions, but that's not what the driving experience would reveal.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2012 ... ison-29378

I encourage you to test-drive both...
Last edited by VW_Exec on August 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 16th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Nice Passat. Not my cup of tea due the styling and price but a solid vehicle nonetheless that competes above its price bracket.

Neexis you right though, best thing to do is take both test drives. If you value your passengers in the back, while the Jetta has decent legroom in its class, the Passat's rear legroom is a world of difference. For some reason the centre floor ridge in the back of the Jetta is quite pronounced even though it is a front wheel drive vehicle and it compromises the middle passenger's comfort.

Neexis when you go for those test drives be sure to try all sorts of driving styles and conditions. Blast yuh music yeah and test out how quiet the ride is with the windows down but don't forget to put the windows down too and with the music off with some slow corners too.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 16th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Black actually suits this car quite well. The others I saw were every other colour and something just looked strange.

Yours looks great man. The shape of the body doesnt look as bad as i originally thought. I don't fancy the rims very much though. Was this the only option?

Where is kharim located? I've seen and heard awful things if vehicles that took the complimentary car wash at massy. scratches, dents, vehicles can't be found 2-3hrs after servicing..wtf?
Last edited by neexis on January 28th, 2013, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » August 16th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Kharim Khan - 784 9290. He's on Tuner as well; goes by same name. Comes to your location. Excellent service everytime!

Yes; the other colours do not bring out the car's beauty - I've seen several others and still biased to the black. As I said before, I also did not like these rims; they're a tad bit too busy and yes, only option (the 16"s are worse). BUT, I assure you, after a while, the hypersilver/black wheel combination against the black body (only) does blend in perfectly.

Everything about this experience to date has been one where the vehicle grows on you - but you need to test drive it, visit the showroom a few times, get familiar with the car, do comparisons (test drive others). Stand-alone, you'd probably turn it down the first time as I did.

Yes; I usually aim to get back my car same day, early afternoon, with every senior staffer aware that I'll be inspecting it before and after. BA has paid for repairs for minor scratches/dents on my ride when it was first delivered/serviced; so they're a bit more careful..

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 17th, 2012, 10:28 am

VW_Exec how much km on average you get per tank?

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » August 17th, 2012, 11:09 am

neexis wrote:VW_Exec how much km on average you get per tank?

No idea; never reset the trip odometer really. It currently matches the overall mileage.

Will let you know next fill up.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 17th, 2012, 3:15 pm

VW_Exec I keep reading about the Passat's driver fatigue system. Do ours Passats get this? Seems like a cool feature to have.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 19th, 2012, 4:21 pm

you know... now i'm wondering if they order the cars with different specs because i'm seeing the comfortline being listed as having led lights as well..

also the price has changed since the august 2011 price list. comfortline from 300k to 310k and highline from 333k to ~340k

heres the spec sheet. the differences i'm seeing between the 2 are the 6 vs 12 way electronic seats, leather interior, electronic immobilizer (altho both cars are listed as having anti-theft alarm and immobilizer :evil: ), and different rims

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » September 17th, 2012, 7:03 pm

does this car come with the tyre pressure monitoring system?

also.... is the key the one to insert into a slot and press?

Krystal Car Part Imports
Sweet on this forum

Postby Krystal Car Part Imports » October 22nd, 2012, 11:43 pm

Passat is the best choice u make. Its a sexy car. In a way, i like it more than the A4. it bigger and better value for money. See if you can get some Poorboys or dodo juice car wax, and some 303 aerospace protectant for the interior, and keep your paint and interior looking SEXY!

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » October 23rd, 2012, 11:17 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:VW_Exec I keep reading about the Passat's driver fatigue system. Do ours Passats get this? Seems like a cool feature to have.

We actually do get this feature on our Passats.
I'm curious about it in action though... might have to simulate some tired driving one day

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » November 8th, 2012, 4:00 pm

VW_Exec..... anything new to report wrt the car?

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » November 8th, 2012, 5:04 pm

neexis wrote:VW_Exec..... anything new to report wrt the car?

Just under 7000 miles racked up and nothing untoward to report.
Drives like a dream, no unusual DSG issues, oil looked/smelt good (checked it out last weekend).

I saw you guys discussing the sound system somewhere around. My opinion is this system is superb for most genres of music and I never get to crank it up past 60% Volume bar. I did explore the equalizer settings and the automatic volume increase settings (for higher speeds), so I have it where I prefer.

Next up is to explore the remap of ECU to try to get HP just shy of 200. Will look further into it in Q1/2013.

Have you made your decision yet?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » November 8th, 2012, 10:11 pm

VW_Exec wrote:
neexis wrote:VW_Exec..... anything new to report wrt the car?

Just under 7000 miles racked up and nothing untoward to report.
Drives like a dream, no unusual DSG issues, oil looked/smelt good (checked it out last weekend).

I saw you guys discussing the sound system somewhere around. My opinion is this system is superb for most genres of music and I never get to crank it up past 60% Volume bar. I did explore the equalizer settings and the automatic volume increase settings (for higher speeds), so I have it where I prefer.

Next up is to explore the remap of ECU to try to get HP just shy of 200. Will look further into it in Q1/2013.

Have you made your decision yet?

Expecting my Highline by March/April 2013 :D :D

The stock sound system is actually decent, but I ordered the Dynaudio which promises better clarity and staging. Coupled with the Passat's superb sound insulation, I think that should be good enough (although I might still consider adding a sub later on).

The dealer advised me that the 1.8 TSI consumes oil and the car gives indications to top up as necessary. Any experience with that on your end?

The prospect of the ECU remap to increase HP and improve fuel economy sounds great, however the ECU will have to be opened manually to do it. Any changes as such detected by the dealer at services will void your warranty (I asked). The only possible workaround is reverting to your stock map before each service, but that involves opening the ECU every time.. so I'm a bit hesitant, at least until the warranty period is up.

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » November 28th, 2012, 11:01 am

neexis wrote:VW_Exec how much km on average you get per tank?

OK. Finally got around to checking this out.
I got around 450km to a full tank to time Gas light came on. I'm sure it could have gone to 500km.

This is with very mixed driving patterns (cruising, heavy acceleration - using mainly 'D' and Tiptronic modes) with similar mixed inner city and 'highway' driving. I am very impressed by this fuel consumption given my previous ride CY Lancer 1.5L didn't get much better than 400km with mainly inner city driving environment.

But I measure by trips to gas station. It's around 7-10 days which is 3 times for the month at around ~TT$380-400 a pop = TT$1,200.00 for month (Premium fuel 95 RON).

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » December 4th, 2012, 12:46 am

Damn... I was hoping to see something like a comfortable 600 km per tank, considering the Passat's 70L tank vs the Jetta's 55L.
My driving will be about 85% highway so I'll see.

How much fuel did the CY take when filling that tank?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » December 4th, 2012, 6:37 am

If you wanna see stuff like 600 km per tank you will have to drive cautiously. Cruise control or good discipline on hiway and no zorcing to 180kph.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » December 4th, 2012, 8:42 am

But I need a lil zorce every now and then. I thought the extra fuel capacity would've helped..
I guess I'll have to see.

This 6 months taking too long!

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » December 4th, 2012, 9:38 am

You could zorce if you want. Depends on how long and how fast you wanna go. Maintaining 180kph for 20 minutes will destroy your fuel economy no matter which car. Passat is heavier and engine has larger displacement than jetta hence the need for larger fuel tank. Things sort of balance out between car models. If you occasionally zorce to 180kph and don't maintain it all the time you might end up in the 500+ km per tank range.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » December 4th, 2012, 7:13 pm

180kph is a bit fast.... I normally chill out once i get to 140 with the corolla. I don't find it handles well or feels stable above 160... plus i couldn't get it to cross 170. This may change with the VW.

Also... 180kph for 20 mins isn't really applicable in my case... unless is a late drive on an empty highway

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » December 7th, 2012, 5:10 pm

neexis wrote:180kph is a bit fast.... I normally chill out once i get to 140 with the corolla. I don't find it handles well or feels stable above 160... plus i couldn't get it to cross 170. This may change with the VW.

Also... 180kph for 20 mins isn't really applicable in my case... unless is a late drive on an empty highway

It will change a lot. Getting to 140kmph will be effortless in the Passat; won't realize you're doing that...180kmph, you'd start maybe paying some more attention...220kmph = :shock: glued on road...but very stable and you're in control (it's just the other 'factors' to watch out for).

As for economy, don't forget the great bonus of a 7-speed gearbox. If you're being relatively moderate on the pedal, doing 180 in 7th (in D-mode), won't really kill your gas mileage. I assure you, the WOT stomps and S-mode acceleration is really what drinks up the fuel.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » December 8th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Nice...... can't wait.

VW_Exec...does the TPMS alert you to which tyre need checking?

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » January 17th, 2013, 4:57 pm

My baby's anniversary is coming up on Valentine's Day (Feb 14th) and one year later, she looks as great, if not better, than show-room condition - owed entirely to Karim Khan and his amazing detailing/maintenance; thanks a lot!

The Passat has afforded me an absolutely amazing driving experience and I am very pleased with the purchase decision. If the CC was available last Feb 2012, I would have opted for it purely due to the higher engine capacity (2.0T), but the Highline is the next best thing.

For comparison, we picked up an Audi A4 (2009) in perfect condition recently, and without being too biased and recognizing it's not 'apples and apples' given diff in years of manufacture, I do really prefer the VW's room, finishes and technology, and the DSG (over CVT)!

Can't say I've experienced any of the issues noted/circulated by many locally/internationally with the DSG; I just treat it like a manual transmission and my expectations of performance are on that premise.

Any other 2012+ VW Passat owners have feedback to throw in?
Attachments
VW4.jpg
VW3.jpg
VW2.jpg
VW1.jpg

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 17th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Good stuff. Nice to hear of no issues. By treating it like a manual are you saying you always drive in manual mode?

Saw a passat cc couple nights ago...that vehicle looked amazing at night sporting led headlights and taillights with a really different looking led pattern for the tails. I wasn't a fan of it in pics online but whatever trim BA is bringing here looks amazing. Hoping for a cc owner to post up some details on tuner.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 17th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Wow! Car looks amazing.. Kharim is a boss. These pics are definitely better than the first ones you posted.

The CC is a really sexy car. The pics you see online are pretty much the same as what BA brings, with the 19" interlagos. The interior is more or less the same as the regular Passat, but the rear headroom is a bit cramped due to the styling. For the price though... I could get a fully loaded A4... so it's a bit of a tossup.

As for the 2.0 engine, its available on the Passat through special order for approx $25K more. I was considering requesting it, but then I was told that the car had already shipped.. Although for now, I think the 1.8 should strike a proper balance of performance/fuel economy with the added benefit of being able to remap later on.

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » January 18th, 2013, 11:44 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Good stuff. Nice to hear of no issues. By treating it like a manual are you saying you always drive in manual mode?

Saw a passat cc couple nights ago...that vehicle looked amazing at night sporting led headlights and taillights with a really different looking led pattern for the tails. I wasn't a fan of it in pics online but whatever trim BA is bringing here looks amazing. Hoping for a cc owner to post up some details on tuner.

I switch modes based on traffic conditions. Essentially, morning traffic crawl, Manual (as you are in 1st Gear mainly and take off on D2 doesn't feel right). D-mode for general driving conditions, not much stop and start. S-mode for overtaking/acceleration or from traffic light with eager road-neighbour.

But, to be honest, I use Manual mode probably 60% of the times as I prefer the control and D-mode when I'm feeling lazy. S-mode, hardly ever.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 18th, 2013, 3:03 pm

It's interesting you find that taking off in D2 doesn't "feel" right. It does feel a bit trembley in certain conditions where alot of gas isn't needed. I don't bother with S mode though. If I need to overtake I usually just press a paddle shifter and go straight to manual mode. I myself would usually just leave it in manual mode 80% of the time but I've found myself going back to D more and more as instances of juddering have since disappeared. Would be interesting to find out your gearbox code and compare it to mine.

Do you plan to add anything to the Passat?

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » January 18th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:It's interesting you find that taking off in D2 doesn't "feel" right. It does feel a bit trembley in certain conditions where alot of gas isn't needed. I don't bother with S mode though. If I need to overtake I usually just press a paddle shifter and go straight to manual mode. I myself would usually just leave it in manual mode 80% of the time but I've found myself going back to D more and more as instances of juddering have since disappeared. Would be interesting to find out your gearbox code and compare it to mine.

Do you plan to add anything to the Passat?

I'll try to take a look for the g/box code. Essentially, the faster people recognize the DSG as a clutch-less manual design and change their paradigm on how an automatic trans s'posed to work, they would be more comfortable with the vehicle and not panic on oddities that arise.

For now, no. The car is fantastic stock. Just got a 32G SD card loaded with tunes this week and couldn't be happier. I may explore the options for Navigation/GPS on screen and possibly later on, ECU Stage 1 upgrade.

Then up for sale around end of 2014 depending on what's new on the market.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » January 18th, 2013, 5:10 pm

approaching one year and talking of sale already! don't wanna keep the vehicle for more than 3 yrs?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » January 18th, 2013, 6:25 pm

neexis wrote:approaching one year and talking of sale already! don't wanna keep the vehicle for more than 3 yrs?

I guess that's why his name is vw_EXEC and not vw_pleb :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”