TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

too own a euro or not to own a euro

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

trinimoses
Ricer

too own a euro or not to own a euro

Postby trinimoses » September 30th, 2014, 1:14 pm

i am fairly new to this forum.... but i have been browsing it alot over the years... and now its time for me to buy my own car... been driving my days sx4 hatch back since i sold my previous car.

First off everyone in my family is atleast 5' 10" ...i am 6'.. i am more looking at the SUVs since most cars dont have enough leg room in the back and the SX4 is HORRIBLE with leg room.

I have driven the sorento and loved the feel of it and it is a diesel... but i have always wanted to own an audi... i have been to SS and sat in the q3 and q5 and the q5 is the best in legroom between the both...

I have asked on the OTHER forum for some feed back on people experiences with the 2014 Sorento... and i havent gotten much feed back.

So i want to know... which of the two between the Sorento and the q5 would be better value for money over a 10 period.. in terms of TCO and resale vaule... in my family we normally keep cars for atleast 10 years..

I also have not been hearing nice things about Diesel locally... so any feedback from you guys would be great... and no i havent look at the x3... the last time i checked the price was 700k+ while the q5 is 535k+ ..

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Re: too own a euro or not to own a euro

Postby WestIndian424 » September 30th, 2014, 2:04 pm

If you looking at resale value..forget kia/audi. People prefer diesel because of the cost at the pump..what they dont tell you is how much diesel costs to service...(find out the price of injectors/diesel pump etc)

just my 2c

trinimoses
Ricer

Postby trinimoses » September 30th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Audis have a bad resale value ??

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » September 30th, 2014, 4:43 pm

No euro in trini really holds resale value imho....euros are nice vehicles...just make sure your pockets are deep cause parts/labour aint cheap...and when the electrical problems start...make sure to have a spare car(JDM) :mrgreen:

trinimoses
Ricer

Postby trinimoses » September 30th, 2014, 4:48 pm

i know all cars give problems at some point.. but euros cant give more problems .. i thought they would be better cars... we have own VW.. toyota..nissan and now with suziki... and the most reliable of all was the toyota.. 32 years and it still on the road... but i dont like toyotas present offerings in the suv range

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » September 30th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Like I tell everyone..if your pockets are deep you can buy whatever you want/like. As for me I look at resale value,availability of parts,price of parts,service,etc

Adjudicator
Street 2NR

Postby Adjudicator » September 30th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I once saw an episode of top gear where Jeremy Clarkson said buying a car because it's reliable is like marrying a woman because she's punctual and there should be more emotion in it that. lol
But I see what he means; buy what you like.
If you plan to keep any vehicle for 10 years I don't think you should worry too much about resale value it's gonna be poor but from what I've seen so far those sorentos are having very good residuals. Also it's probably gonna be more vehicle for your money. have you considered just getting the fully loaded gas options

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 30th, 2014, 11:35 pm

I'd hate to drive something for 10 yrs mostly for resale value start with what you like first (after test drives) and then consider the resale etc. Also I have found people who are concerned with legroom automatically jump to SUV's when mid-size sedans can offer the same and/or more legroom at a better price. Just something to consider

trinimoses
Ricer

Postby trinimoses » September 30th, 2014, 11:49 pm

JOE.. hrm you might have a point.. let me see what legroom the A4 have.. a fully loaded a4 is less than the sorento diesel.. and i will take your advance on the resale value.

or look at the base q5 which is 450 i think...hrm.. alot of food for thought

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » October 1st, 2014, 12:46 pm

j.o.e wrote:I'd hate to drive something for 10 yrs mostly for resale value start with what you like first (after test drives) and then consider the resale etc. Also I have found people who are concerned with legroom automatically jump to SUV's when mid-size sedans can offer the same and/or more legroom at a better price. Just something to consider

I don't think you can compare the legroom of a sedan to an SUV, or at least vertical leg room anyway.

The VW Passat has some good horizontal legroom, but still creates some distance between the steering. Compared to a VW Touareg, the seats just sit higher off the floor allowing for a more comfortable leg position. Entry and exit is also alot easier in an SUV.

The A4 is nice, but for a family of tall people, it will feel kinda cramped, as the space is a bit tighter than the Passat. I'm about 5'11- 6' (depending on the scale).
My 2c

trinimoses
Ricer

Postby trinimoses » October 1st, 2014, 2:25 pm

thanks for the feedback

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 1st, 2014, 7:33 pm

Everyone has their fair share of criticisms when it comes to the European brand.

Whether it be AUDI, BMW, FORD, MERCEDES,OPEL, PEUGEOT,RENAULT, SKODA, VOLKSWAGEN and VOLVO, each brand is unique by way of its engineering and base on year of release.

I have been affiliated with the Renault line for exactly a decade now.
My first Renault was a Megane Classic (Privilege) and the drive was way way better than a B-14, B-15 and the Almera back in 2004.
I had ignored certain servicing intervals and it resulted in a "fooked" up tranny in 2007. I sold this in 2010 after importing a transmission kit and I regretted selling it. The guy that has it now is "the worst".

Then I came across a Renault Clio 2 (88,000km).
Wrong interpretation of the faults could have led to one wanting to change the engine.
I still own this car up to today and it is one of the zippiest Clios after the two (2) surviving Clios 172 on the island.
I get my OEM parts out of Renault UK/ France so I need not worry about keeping her running. BTW, I feed her Premium Unleaded.

I was working on another Megane Classic but acquired a 2001 BMW 5 Series E39 sedan recently.
The majority of parts that I am ordering are way way cheaper from the UK and the US.
I drove the car once and I now understand why BMW is really the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

My contribution.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » October 1st, 2014, 9:39 pm

Hope im not offending anyone but with regards to Euro cars in Trinidad can anyone tell me what happened to the following brands and/or where the dealship is PRESENTLY located?

Citroen/Peugeot/Seat/Rover/Renault/Fiat/Opel/Vauxhall/Volvo etc etc

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 2nd, 2014, 7:29 am

Calor wrote:Hope im not offending anyone but with regards to Euro cars in Trinidad can anyone tell me what happened to the following brands and/or where the dealship is PRESENTLY located?

Citroen/Peugeot/Seat/Rover/Renault/Fiat/Opel/Vauxhall/Volvo etc etc

Fiat supposed to be Sterling. Volvo might still be at Nissan. All the others are no longer sold here new for sure. Add Skoda to that list.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » October 2nd, 2014, 7:38 am

Thanks for the update on skoda...I was told N&M no longer bringing volvo?...not sure how true that is.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » October 2nd, 2014, 12:16 pm

Calor wrote:Thanks for the update on skoda...I was told N&M no longer bringing volvo?...not sure how true that is.

So I keep hearing. Not sure why Massy still advertising the Volvo brand on their FB page

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » October 3rd, 2014, 8:42 pm

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » October 3rd, 2014, 9:04 pm

Want to hear something ironic. The bluebird sylphy has more legroom than a c class a4 3 series.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”