TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK: Solutions- cracking of dashboard accent (95-99)

Creta, Elantra, Santa Fe, Accent, Tuscon, Veloster, Sonata, i30

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 18th, 2008, 11:12 am

I had a 1996 Accent and that had 2 dashboards, both of which suffered the same cracking as what you are experiencing. The first one was changed out free of charge by N&M, but they didn't do the same when the second one, which they supplied and installed, also cracked.

Your options are:

1) Plastic weld and re-finish the dashboard, but that may be expensive.

2) Overlay the dashboard with some kind of fabric.

3) Buy a new dashboard from N&M (which will cost in the thousands).

4) Buy a foreign used dashboard (but I am unsure of the availability)

Option (1) could be done by Bumper Doctor in Curepe. When I had checked them some years ago they also indicated that they could re-paint the dashboard to mask the plastic welded spots and to match the interior colour of the car. I don't know if they still do the re-painting.

I have seen Option (2) done on some Accents with a grey fabric matching the colour of the interior and it looked well done. But this options all depends upon how badly cracked is the dashboard. You obviously can't use the fabric option if it is so badly cracked that it's almost falling apart. Any competent upholstery shop should be able to handle this kind of job.

DJ Anand
Riding on 13's

Postby DJ Anand » March 18th, 2008, 11:52 am

i had the same problem. First i used loctite super bond to stick the crack and then used speaker box carpet and covered the whole dash. It has held out so far. If u don't do something now it will definately get worse. Take my advice.....

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 18th, 2008, 11:57 am

Bigdogg_Nismo wrote:If I plastic weld the 2 cracks dunno if it will crack somewhere else in the future. It has 2 cracks and before it gets worse I want to stop it......my dashboard looks good just want to keep it that way.

When I had checked Bumper Doctor, they told me that they will reinforce the entire dashboard to prevent further cracks from appearing. This was some years ago, so I really can't remember the method that the guy explained to me for reinforcing it. My advice is to call them and hear what they can do.

The whole problem with the Accent dashboard is that it is made out of hard plastic, and not the vinyl skin over foam core like what is typically used. Therefore, when it is bolted in place and it is heated up, for example, from exposure to the sun, the only way the temperature induced stresses can relieve themselves is through cracking in the plastic.

If it isn't that badly cracked, my advice is to go with the fabric covering. This will help insulate it, to a certain degree, from temperature effects. DO NOT go with a vinyl type of covering, it will not serve any purpose.

When my dashboard had two small cracks, what I noticed was that they used to close up when I left the car in the sun. What I thought about, but never really got around to doing, was to buy some plastic epoxy, leave the car in the sun and apply the epoxy just before the cracks closed up and the epoxy hardened.

burn1212

Postby burn1212 » April 9th, 2008, 11:15 am

aye horse i hear that the b13 dash works on the accent but i never tried it yetbut when i do will let you noe aite

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » August 20th, 2008, 4:40 pm

any body has a number for bumper doctor?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 21st, 2008, 1:28 am

Special-T-Services - Eastern Main Road, Curepe, 662-1455

Special-T-Services - Naparima-Mayaro Road, Cocoyea, 653-5645

The Bumper Doctor - Southern Main Road, Cunupia, 672-6240

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » September 2nd, 2008, 12:55 pm

I called these places. They no longer repair accent dashes. The plastic doesn't take the welding properly. Is it possible to economically remake the entire dash using the old dash as a molding?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » September 2nd, 2008, 1:58 pm

slimshiney wrote:I called these places. They no longer repair accent dashes. The plastic doesn't take the welding properly. Is it possible to economically remake the entire dash using the old dash as a molding?

I am not really sure about that. You should probably talk to someone who does fibreglassing.

rocky86
Street 2NR

Postby rocky86 » August 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm

b13 and b14 dashboard work i personally saw this

Advertisement

Return to “HYUNDAI”