Sunday, April 20th, 2014

- It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Jump to:  

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm 
Shifting into 6th

WTF kinda Banana republic museum is this we have here?

Looks like it was left park up in the beetham yes.

Look at the condition of that Rolls Royce engine. Tragic end for such a magnificent aircraft.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

eliteauto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

The museum is a private institution and idea of one man who severely lacks the funding to have the items displayed as they should, there is little interest from the public, corporate and Gov't sectors so it is what it is

pioneer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Looks like a decent cobo lime goin on there

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm 
Shifting into 6th

eliteauto wrote:
The museum is a private institution and idea of one man who severely lacks the funding to have the items displayed as they should, there is little interest from the public, corporate and Gov't sectors so it is what it is

I understand but this is a complete shame and disgrace.

This ain't a museum nah, this is an airplane junkyard. They did such a sh!tty job at welding back that plane. Is bess they did hire the Antonov to drop that plane from the sky and let it fall belly first into that museum it would have looked better.

For comparison sake this is the very same plane we talking about here. Except this one didn't accidentally crashed into the beetham.

eliteauto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:03 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

I agree with you, these were the planes that made BWIA well known, I hang out at the museum at night sometimes and to see the plane at those hours is somewhat haunting

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 pm 
Shifting into 6th

^ Hoss where is the Landing Gear for that plane? There is a whole hydraulic bay with arms and wheels etc.

LOL they prop up the thing on some pvc pipes with cement in it?

How does a $140 Million US dollar plane reach in that state? The government did donate that free or something?

pugboy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 pm 
punchin NOS

The museum as said is totally a one man private show, not any different than what anybody with no money would do. Shame he never got real support.

That plane was gutted before they gave it to him, it was chopped up and trucked down then tacked back together.

Duane 3NE 2NR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 pm 
Admin

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
^ Hoss where is the Landing Gear for that plane? There is a whole hydraulic bay with arms and wheels etc.

How does a $140 Million US dollar plane reach in that state? The government did donate that free or something?
If you feel so strongly about it why don't you go help out the guy with running the display? Work with him to raise funds to bring the display to a standard that you feel the aircraft deserves.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 pm 
Shifting into 6th

^ I agree I will do just that.

Who would be the best person in the government to petition in order to help this guy out?

maj. tom
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 pm 
18 pounds of Boost

the minister of planes and corbeaux

pugboy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 pm 
punchin NOS

The chap's name is gaylord kelshall,
Unfortunately he is known as having some missing screws so nobody in authority takes him
Seriously. I think the cda wants to take back the land too.
I understand he is also quite sick.

He has written a very good book om the history of the war and it impact locally
Including info on nazi u boat operations that came here.

Duane 3NE 2NR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 pm 
Admin

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
^ I agree I will do just that.

Who would be the best person in the government to petition in order to help this guy out?
I suggested that you help him out. The Govt is not obligated to help him out. It is a private museum.

javishm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 am 
punchin NOS

corbeaux liming there normell

Richard Marshall
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 am 
3NE2NR is my LIFE

How can people help?

Ignorant Ignis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 am 
punchin NOS

eliteauto wrote:
I hang out at the museum at night sometimes

:| :| :|

Team Loco
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:34 am 
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Sherons bringing that back normal normal.

But seriously i really like that museum. Will check it out again

ABA Trading LTD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 am 
3NE 2NR Power Seller

http://www.amazon.com/The-U-Boat-Caribb ... d+kelshall

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,29604.html

The Secret War — Part One
ANNE HILTON Sunday, August 21 2005

"I WANT Trinidad as part of the Greater German Reich," declared Adolf Hitler in a speech to the Reichstag in March 1939, six months before the outbreak of World War II (WW II). Was he serious? Was it to reassure the French and British that he had no more territorial claims . . . in Europe (he had, of course, but that’s another story

"The British were so impressed with the part played by the Boy Scouts that two things happened: the Governor said, ‘I want two senior Scouts with me all the time wherever I go.’ (incidentally, one of them, John Simpson a Trinidadian born in San Fernando, later became the Commander of the British SAS regiment).

"The second thing — which sounds like something out of Boy’s Own Paper (a comic for boys in the days before television, Ninja Turtles etc etc) was this: MI5 opened a spy training school for Boy Scouts at Paxvale in Santa Cruz. They actually turned out Boy Scout spies. Now that by itself sounds incredible, but it gets even more incredible because the document says the Boy Scouts actually captured spies. There’s a specific account of them capturing three people down in the Icacos area, trying to get to Venezuela.

pete
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 am 
3NE 2NR Moderator

Ignorant Ignis wrote:
eliteauto wrote:

There's a restaurant & bar there. :lol:

SmokeyGTi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:37 am 
punchin NOS

^^ I thought yuh was the security :lol:

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:31 am 
Shifting into 6th

lol found this while searching for gaylord kelshall
Apparently this man so sick he wife has to run this museum.

http://guardian.co.tt/news/2012-04-11/m ... -cries-out

The founders of the Chaguaramas Military Museum are calling on Government to either run the site itself or increase funding. Linda Kelshall, who runs the museum, says it had received a subvention from the Culture Ministry since 2000 and started receiving money for a development programme a few years later.

But in a telephone interview yesterday, Kelshall said the ministry had called her to a meeting early this year and told her the development funding would be cut. “We had started to build a library because some of the books we had were deteriorating. With the development money gone, we can’t finish it now,” Kelshall said.

“We had already credited supplies from the hardware and now we have to worry about repaying them,” she said. Kelshall said Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Winston Peters visited the museum last year and promised to offer more help. “Instead, they took away money and that left us in a lot of pressure,” said Kelshall.

She said that made it even more difficult for her since her husband, Gaylord, got sick she has been running the museum herself. “I am left with no choice but to ask the Government to take over. I tried to beg and do things to find money but it isn’t working,” said Kelshall. The Kelshalls have run the museum for 22 years.

Kelshall said the subvention from the ministry was $200,000 a year and the development funding was $250,000. In a telephone interview yesterday, deputy permanent secretary at the Ministry of Arts and Multiculturalism, Vel Lewis, denied the museum’s funding had been cut.

He said the development funding was for proposed projects at the museum. He added: “The project that we had granted funding for, which was for a library, should have been completed. “If they needed more money they would have need to submit another proposal. A development programme does not go on forever.”

Lewis said some of the collections at the military museum held national significance. “I feel the State would consider taking over the museum,” Lewis said. Peters could not be reached for comment. The Chaguaramas Military History and Aviation Museum was founded in 1990 by Gaylord Kelshall, a former pilot and officer in the T&T Coast Guard.

It provides historical information on T&T’s participation in World Wars I and II. On exhibit are military planes and automobiles, ammunition and uniforms. Kelshall said the museum also exhibited memorabilia from the 1990 coup attempt.

acesinghit
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 pm 
12 pounds of Boost

we visited the museum last year and it is in a sad state. Lot's of potential but the lack of funding is obvious. Perhaps the TTDF or even the CDA should consider taking over the operation. The idea of having a military museum sustained is welcomed. To me the best part of the museum was the L1011. You stand where you remembered sitting on those long London flights. Brings back memories for some.

zoom rader
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:14 pm 
punchin NOS

Yes sad indeed, but meanwhile in Barbados they have the Concord on permanent display in a purpose built hanger.

pioneer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:04 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Time to mash down that eyesore and continue the boardwalk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:19 pm 
3NE 2NR for life

pioneer wrote:
Time to mash down that eyesore and continue the boardwalk.
smh

Ignorant Ignis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:11 pm 
punchin NOS

pete wrote:
Ignorant Ignis wrote:
eliteauto wrote:

There's a restaurant & bar there. :lol:

oh....didnt know that .....whats the review there? ... looking for new places to go with the misses

Richard Marshall
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:58 pm 
3NE2NR is my LIFE

ABA Trading LTD wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/The-U-Boat-Caribbean-Gaylord-Kelshall/dp/1557504520/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389266033&sr=8-1&keywords=gaylord+kelshall

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,29604.html

The Secret War — Part One
ANNE HILTON Sunday, August 21 2005

"I WANT Trinidad as part of the Greater German Reich," declared Adolf Hitler in a speech to the Reichstag in March 1939, six months before the outbreak of World War II (WW II). Was he serious? Was it to reassure the French and British that he had no more territorial claims . . . in Europe (he had, of course, but that’s another story

"The British were so impressed with the part played by the Boy Scouts that two things happened: the Governor said, ‘I want two senior Scouts with me all the time wherever I go.’ (incidentally, one of them, John Simpson a Trinidadian born in San Fernando, later became the Commander of the British SAS regiment).

"The second thing — which sounds like something out of Boy’s Own Paper (a comic for boys in the days before television, Ninja Turtles etc etc) was this: MI5 opened a spy training school for Boy Scouts at Paxvale in Santa Cruz. They actually turned out Boy Scout spies. Now that by itself sounds incredible, but it gets even more incredible because the document says the Boy Scouts actually captured spies. There’s a specific account of them capturing three people down in the Icacos area, trying to get to Venezuela.

Thanks for the info. Then all this is actually true then?

link
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm 
Shifting into 6th

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

If you feel so strongly about it why don't you go help out the guy with running the display? Work with him to raise funds to bring the display to a standard that you feel the aircraft deserves.

if that is the former N3140D....first find out what the deal was, & with whom, that locked this aircraft into service with BWIA :idea:

worksux101
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am 
3NE 2NR Moderator

well why don't you enlighten us?

wagonrunner
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:39 am 
TriniTuner 24-7

Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.
worksux101 wrote:
well why don't you enlighten us?

you'll have to give him a moment. he's savoring this.
https://www.facebook.com/ZorceMagazine/posts/10150351718184981?comment_id=14444036&offset=0&total_comments=13&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

K74T
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 pm 
TriniTuner 24-7

Rofl