Forums

The GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Re: The *Official* GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

Postby supercharged turbo » May 8th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Hey guys,I'm looking to buy an android tablet but don't know where to start.There are some many out there,all with some of the features I am looking for.Some of the features are :

1)3G/4G + WIFI=If this is not possible,I would settle for atleast the 3G/4G
2)Front and rear facing cameras.Must be fairly decent quality
3)Must have bluettoth
4)32GB or 64GB storage capacity

So far,the only thing that comes close is the Motorola Xoom but what would you guys recommend?

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 8th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Strauss wrote:I've really been looking closely at screen sizes.

See the position I'm in... my phone is to make calls and once in a while read a few sites on the go, check email quickly and play some games while waiting outside Pennywise.

For reading and relaxing there's either the iPad of the Mac. Which ever device doesn't matter cuz everything is sync'd. I want the bigger screen cuz I might want to finish watching a video.

For movies none of the above. I rather my Plasma+SRS in my living room. I can't bare to hear or see low quality crap.

Someone else might just want a compromise and get a large screen phone because they might not see the need for a tablet or really be living a digital lifestyle — and I'm not talking about Google living. I mean breathing technology in every facet of their lives and demand perfection from what they use.

The Note has it's market but they are not doing as well as they hoped (relatively). Neither are Android tablets doing very great, as admitted by Samsung. And I think the reason Android tablets are not much sought after is due to the very large screen phones that are cannibalizing tablet sales (won't get into other factors).

It's really two different schools:
- One device... jack of all trades and master at none, portability, lower total cost.
- A few devices for each facet... great at each task, can't carry all, higher total cost.

When COMPUTER companies start making proper tablets with appropriate marketing, things might change. But for now, phone companies are letting their phone sales take away from their tablets. And it's a cycle they will continue because they are selling more large phones to the first school of one device.

Good points, but

I don't have a tablet, because I don't have need for one, if the rumours of the Asus built Google tablet are true, I would get one, not because I need it to live the "digital" lifestyle, but because I want one, whether or not I would find "proper" use for it is another story.

Back to screen size, I was glad that Android manufacturers started making bigger phones, because, no matter what anyone says, a big phone will always be more mobile than a small tablet, and I have everything I need on my phone, my pictures sync to Dropbox and Google+ from my phone (WiFi mostly, but thank you Digicel for launching high speed mobile data access), so when I need access to them from PC, it's there, the same with videos, documents, and apps, and they way my set-up is, anything that is on one device, is freely available for another. My television can browse the network, my PC can stream to the tele, my phone can stream to the tele and from the pc, all this done with a router a couple Cat 6 cables, a phone, television and a PC, and these devices were all my choices, they were not chosen for me, so the feature set is what I wanted

Now people's digital lifestyles are different, personally, my mobile phone is the centre of my digital lifestyle, hence the reason that 3.5 could never be enough, 4.3 inches for me is bare minimum, now that doesn't mean I am ever going to buy a Note, but it's good that the choice is there for those who "want" it, they are not forced into using a screen that may too small to work with comfortably, then having to wait for access to their tablet or PC, they can do it form their mobile phone, screen size is a big part that.

There is the difference of having your digital lifestyle set-up for you orrrrr, having total control of how you set up your digital lifestyle. Always remember that we can all get the same things done using vastly different methods, what matters is that we do it our way, I make my money, I would like to dictate how I spend it

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 8th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Just compared my One X to a friend's S2 today.. For all complaining about it being too big and whatever..length and width were generally exact (his s2 within an Otterbox commuter, didn't feel like taking it off) so.. It's just the screen more expanded on the same body.. Basically

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » May 8th, 2012, 7:19 pm

my otterbox commuter adds a lot of size to the S2 so I don't know that it's a fair comparison. My gripe with size was the size of the screen making it somewhat difficult to use in a one-handed situation, not so much the size of the device itself.

For the guy who wants to know how the live wallpapers work on ICS, they work perfectly on my S2, very smooth.

Strauss and Achillies obviously have two very different perspectives on how technology should fit in their lives. Strauss wants the Mac experience for simplicity, whereas Achillies wants the Android experience for wide variety in choice.

Anyway, I have been noticing the following problems with the Galaxy since purchase (was 2.3.5, now 4.0):
1. Greatly varying battery life. Appears to have constant data connections sometimes, or the battery (not antenna) gets hot and dies within 8 hours of normal use. This occurs probably 1 or 2 days out of the week. Other times with the same usage I get almost 24 hours out of a charge. Killed all apps and still happens at times. The synchronisation schedule is push for peak hours, and once an hour for non-peak only for email. Apart from that and whatsapp, nothing else is synchronised. Anyone else have this problem?

2. When my phone is connected via BT to the van's head unit, the default music app pops up and refuses to quit even if I manually kill it using task manager. Because of this, the screen stays on, when plugged in the car charger or not.

3. At times it can be a little buggy with the interface especially with the contacts app. Sometimes the smart dialing works, sometimes it doesn't. This is the official build of ICS for the i9100 btw.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 8th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Val wrote:my otterbox commuter adds a lot of size to the S2 so I don't know that it's a fair comparison. My gripe with size was the size of the screen making it somewhat difficult to use in a one-handed situation, not so much the size of the device itself.

For the guy who wants to know how the live wallpapers work on ICS, they work perfectly on my S2, very smooth.

Strauss and Achillies obviously have two very different perspectives on how technology should fit in their lives. Strauss wants the Mac experience for simplicity, whereas Achillies wants the Android experience for wide variety in choice.

Anyway, I have been noticing the following problems with the Galaxy since purchase (was 2.3.5, now 4.0):
1. Greatly varying battery life. Appears to have constant data connections sometimes, or the battery (not antenna) gets hot and dies within 8 hours of normal use. This occurs probably 1 or 2 days out of the week. Other times with the same usage I get almost 24 hours out of a charge. Killed all apps and still happens at times. The synchronisation schedule is push for peak hours, and once an hour for non-peak only for email. Apart from that and whatsapp, nothing else is synchronised. Anyone else have this problem?

2. When my phone is connected via BT to the van's head unit, the default music app pops up and refuses to quit even if I manually kill it using task manager. Because of this, the screen stays on, when plugged in the car charger or not.

3. At times it can be a little buggy with the interface especially with the contacts app. Sometimes the smart dialing works, sometimes it doesn't. This is the official build of ICS for the i9100 btw.

Any thoughts?

Thickness, not much height/width. A. Millimeters or 2 I'd think, max.

And in terms of battery.. If you keep edge constantly on.. Then, most likely, it's that. The edge speeds are so slow here.. It causes more battery drain.. Forces the radio to work harder etc.. Then with push on you're forcing it to keep a constant edge connection, so you can see the relation. Try flashing some different modems as well, it helps. If you have low signal in some areas too, then obviously that'd cause some drain as well but that can't exactly be helped.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 8th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Val wrote:Strauss and Achillies obviously have two very different perspectives on how technology should fit in their lives. Strauss wants the Mac experience for simplicity, whereas Achillies wants the Android experience for wide variety in choice.

Ent!

Val wrote:Anyway, I have been noticing the following problems with the Galaxy since purchase (was 2.3.5, now 4.0):

This sounds like a misbehaving app, the heat may not be your battery, if you feel the heat around the camera area, that's actually your CPU, as I always advise, get the app called better battery stats, it's a paid app from the market, but the dev gives it away free to XDA members, with this app, you have the ability to see what is using your battery, whether it be on the userspace level or the kernel level, IMO it is a must have app to all android users, there are many poorly written apps out there, but BBS can help you take control of your device you didn't know you have.
Val wrote:2. When my phone is connected via BT to the van's head unit, the default music app pops up and refuses to quit even if I manually kill it using task manager. Because of this, the screen stays on, when plugged in the car charger or not.

Any thoughts?

What ROM are you using, I can't really help with these, but I doubt you are the first to experience these issues, bare in mind that ROMs released by Samsung can have bugs that don't exist in other official ROMs, so some searching on the problem you have, sometimes it could be native to the version you are using and the fix is just to use another official ROM, I use XWLP8 but I cannot test the bluetooth issue, and thus far I have not encountered any issue with the Smart Dialling

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 9th, 2012, 3:03 am

slickrick777 wrote:"Jonathan_337" you download ne live wallpapers from play store yet?...if so yuh find they sticking ah little?...doh know if they ehh too compatible with ICS yet!

Downloaded Galactic Core from

http://www.kittehface.com/p/live-wallpa ... lacticcore

And it works great... No lag at all. Also I tried the stock HTC ones and it works well too.. You still using sense launcher?

Checkout multi picture live wallpaper as well. It's awesome

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 9th, 2012, 11:30 am

ah downloaded ah set ah d paid ones from play store (for free) and some were sticking...now ah downloading the latest ones and they running smooth...ah using go launchers as well as htc sense!

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 9th, 2012, 12:38 pm

slickrick777 wrote:ah downloaded ah set ah d paid ones from play store (for free) and some were sticking...now ah downloading the latest ones and they running smooth...ah using go launchers as well as htc sense!

Try using Nova Launcher Pro.. It's pretty good

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 9th, 2012, 12:51 pm

to me live wallpapers work better using a customer launcher. but das just me, i still on the first m0to droid runnin gingerbread.

i see the zedge application has live wallpapers now. from the last update.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 9th, 2012, 12:54 pm

aight will check it out..thanks!

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 9th, 2012, 12:59 pm

it's Nova Launcher Prime?..also ah seeing on play store the latest verion is v1.0...but on them crack sites have version 1.01 and 1.02...

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 9th, 2012, 1:08 pm

slickrick777 wrote:it's Nova Launcher Prime?..also ah seeing on play store the latest verion is v1.0...but on them crack sites have version 1.01 and 1.02...

Yeah sorry, prime I meant. I have the 1.1.2 I think it is. I'll upload it to dropbox and post a link in a sec

Edit : the v1 of Nova Launcher Prime you're seeing on play is just the licensing file to upgrade the free version to prime. So the latest version is actually 1.1.2 and I uploaded it to my dropbox for you. Anyone who wants it here it is -->

http://db.tt/QdFDWjSJ

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 9th, 2012, 3:27 pm

so this is the paid version?

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 9th, 2012, 5:41 pm

slickrick777 wrote:so this is the paid version?

Yeah

chaosking121
Riding on 13's

Postby chaosking121 » May 9th, 2012, 7:13 pm

M_2NR wrote:Any of you guys using tasker? It's pretty impressive. It's an automated actions type app which can basically do anything.

Yeah, I bought it s couple days ago for my tablet. Cxc is preventing me from truly getting it working but I've got some nice scenes that tell me what song is playing when i change it, works great with Gesture Control Root Pro from the Play Store. When i get a phone Tasked will become much more useful.

S_2NR wrote:i want to find out if its taxed first.
if not im getting it for 540US (3456 TT) new on amazon. shipping is a non-issue since its just 2lbs.

Last September I shipped down an Acer Oxonian Tab A500 with JSL, who is usually very expensive. Also in the box was a case and memory card. They charged $100 shipping and tax in all and they recorded it as 5 pounds. So I dont think they charged any tax at all. I've heard tablets aren't taxed, but it could have been as a result of the case and memory card in the same box. Try that method and see how it goes I guess?

Jonathan_337 wrote:
slickrick777 wrote:it's Nova Launcher Prime?..also ah seeing on play store the latest verion is v1.0...but on them crack sites have version 1.01 and 1.02...

Yeah sorry, prime I meant. I have the 1.1.2 I think it is. I'll upload it to dropbox and post a link in a sec

Edit : the v1 of Nova Launcher Prime you're seeing on play is just the licensing file to upgrade the free version to prime. So the latest version is actually 1.1.2 and I uploaded it to my dropbox for you. Anyone who wants it here it is -->

http://db.tt/QdFDWjSJ

I've heard Apex Launcher is pretty good too, but you know I'm a hardcore ADW.ex user :D

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 9th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Where can I get the USB charging port replaced an i9100? How much does it cost?

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm

pete wrote:Where can I get the USB charging port replaced an i9100? How much does it cost?

order the part and do it yourself.
teardown guides are all over.

unless u wanna trust an authorized person doing the same thing with a cost attached. who could possibly fcuk up the phone more.

OR

you could buy an external standalone charger with an extra battery and swap batteries as needed.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 9th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Its charging, problem is data transfer and this glitch which seems to happen when the port gets dirty from reading online (car mode being activated / voice control etc). Want to just change the whole thing. I think I will order it online and bring it in. Just 10US.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 9th, 2012, 9:09 pm

have u ruled out a software issue?

most likely, parts not available here anyway
so ur on the right track.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm

pete wrote:Its charging, problem is data transfer and this glitch which seems to happen when the port gets dirty from reading online (car mode being activated / voice control etc). Want to just change the whole thing. I think I will order it online and bring it in. Just 10US.

If it's not dirty, use toothpick, bend middle pin away from whatever it's touching., worked for some people on the other forums.
Cyah go wrong with $10us though

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 10th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 10th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Wait a 2 months after release. Price will be around $600-$650 I'm sure.. And that's only 16gb. Wow :|

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » May 10th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Rooted the phone and deleted most of the Samsung bloatware with Titanium. Did a battery calibration and then started using Juice Defender. battery life has easily doubled.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 11th, 2012, 10:58 am

To all users of the Galaxy Note

Just a heads up

(RT!) WARNING: Galaxy Note N7000 LPY (official ICS update) appears to contain the flash bricking bug! Details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1633943

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » May 11th, 2012, 11:30 am

What anti-virus do you all use for your devices?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 11th, 2012, 11:31 am

Used to use Lookout, but now mobile Comodo giving a full suite free, and Comodo has been quite good to me.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 11th, 2012, 3:45 pm

i using AVG!

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » May 11th, 2012, 3:47 pm

I downloaded Webroot this morning, working good so far.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”