Forums

The GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: The *Official* GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 3:33 pm

ryan99tt wrote:these fones fit well in the pocket...no problem with sensation xl or one x so i doubt a small size difference in the GS3 will make much of a difference...but still i will go with the one x due to the better design, build quality, camera and processor...it feels really gd in the hand...

Better design, sure, build quality is debatable, I don't know what criteria you guys use to measure build quality, camera, that is left to be seen, need to see side by side shots of the same thing to compare the picture quality, processor, that's a definite no no, Tegra would always be a step behind Exynos and Snapdragon when it comes to similar processors, I am sure that the S3 overall, is faster than the Tegra 3, and there are tests that would prove that the dual core Snapdragon S4 SoC would beat a quadcore Tegra 3, and probably the Exynos 4412

The Tegra 3 SoC is not slow, but it definitely is not the fastest or the best mobile SoC, as I said earlier, the Exynos would be faster, a quadcore Snapdragon would probably kill everything else, in the mean-time the dual-core is holding it's own against everything, and we have yet to see a quadcore offering from Texas Instruments and this is made even worse because Nvidia forces devs to use proprietary tools to design for the Tegra platform.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 5th, 2012, 4:30 pm

lol...iphone making ah 4.8" screen...if iphone does this their phone would not be as bulky as that of the gs3...will be more like the one x...sleek, beautiful and feels like the cost of the phone...epensive!..not like a piece of toy!

sentraman
Riding on 17's

Postby sentraman » May 5th, 2012, 4:41 pm

isnt the current 4.3" S2 thinner and lighter than the 3.5" iphone 4 and 4s? So what would make you think that they can make a 4.8" device better lmao

ryan99tt
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ryan99tt » May 5th, 2012, 4:57 pm

achillies wrote:
ryan99tt wrote:these fones fit well in the pocket...no problem with sensation xl or one x so i doubt a small size difference in the GS3 will make much of a difference...but still i will go with the one x due to the better design, build quality, camera and processor...it feels really gd in the hand...

Better design, sure, build quality is debatable, I don't know what criteria you guys use to measure build quality, camera, that is left to be seen, need to see side by side shots of the same thing to compare the picture quality, processor, that's a definite no no, Tegra would always be a step behind Exynos and Snapdragon when it comes to similar processors, I am sure that the S3 overall, is faster than the Tegra 3, and there are tests that would prove that the dual core Snapdragon S4 SoC would beat a quadcore Tegra 3, and probably the Exynos 4412

The Tegra 3 SoC is not slow, but it definitely is not the fastest or the best mobile SoC, as I said earlier, the Exynos would be faster, a quadcore Snapdragon would probably kill everything else, in the mean-time the dual-core is holding it's own against everything, and we have yet to see a quadcore offering from Texas Instruments and this is made even worse because Nvidia forces devs to use proprietary tools to design for the Tegra platform.

the build quality criteria i use is how it actually feels...never like dat plastic feeling that samsung always has...if u ever hold a one x and a galaxy, u will know what i'm talkin about...even though the s3 processor may be better, what i use my fones for are games so i believe the tegra 3 will prove better on that side...and with the camera in the one x and what i read about the camera in the s3, the one x comes out on top for me...but its just my opinion...other ppl may like that plastic, light, toyish feeling of the samsung line and some may like a little higher quality of the one x...by the way the samsung is thicker and taller that the one x...

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 5:21 pm

slickrick777 wrote:lol...iphone making ah 4.8" screen...if iphone does this their phone would not be as bulky as that of the gs3...will be more like the one x...sleek, beautiful and feels like the cost of the phone...epensive!..not like a piece of toy!

This is totally subjective, by your reasoning, I would give you a 4 inch concrete brickand you would like it because if how it feels.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 5:44 pm

ryan99tt wrote:the build quality criteria i use is how it actually feels...never like dat plastic feeling that samsung always has...if u ever hold a one x and a galaxy, u will know what i'm talkin about...even though the s3 processor may be better, what i use my fones for are games so i believe the tegra 3 will prove better on that side...and with the camera in the one x and what i read about the camera in the s3, the one x comes out on top for me...but its just my opinion...other ppl may like that plastic, light, toyish feeling of the samsung line and some may like a little higher quality of the one x...by the way the samsung is thicker and taller that the one x...

You speak of build materials, build quality is a totally different thing, they are not the same and one can exist without the other. Build materials refer to the materials used to manufacture a device, build quality refers to the durability of a device, using expensive build "materials" does not guarantee good build "quality"

HTC has always been known for having good design and using premium build materials, but their build quality is not on par, the Sensation for example has a more suspect build quality with the 'sleeve' design causing creaks, dust accumulation under the screen, and volume rockers that break, this may not happen with every device, but it happens. The One X has already has complaints about the screen bending and about the paint chipping, they used premium build materials, but build quality is again, suspect, whereas the S2 is made from cheap plastics, but you won't get complaints about the build quality of the S2 or the Note. So I agree that Samsung may use cheap build materials, but Samsung devices have excellent built quality.

Look at the video below, great build materials, but suspect build quality, I have a S2 made out of cheap plastics, and I do not have this issue

Hopefully their trend of great built quality continued with the S3

Had to add, weight gives a false impression of build quality

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 5th, 2012, 8:07 pm

achillies wrote:
ryan99tt wrote:the build quality criteria i use is how it actually feels...never like dat plastic feeling that samsung always has...if u ever hold a one x and a galaxy, u will know what i'm talkin about...even though the s3 processor may be better, what i use my fones for are games so i believe the tegra 3 will prove better on that side...and with the camera in the one x and what i read about the camera in the s3, the one x comes out on top for me...but its just my opinion...other ppl may like that plastic, light, toyish feeling of the samsung line and some may like a little higher quality of the one x...by the way the samsung is thicker and taller that the one x...

You speak of build materials, build quality is a totally different thing, they are not the same and one can exist without the other. Build materials refer to the materials used to manufacture a device, build quality refers to the durability of a device, using expensive build "materials" does not guarantee good build "quality"

HTC has always been known for having good design and using premium build materials, but their build quality is not on par, the Sensation for example has a more suspect build quality with the 'sleeve' design causing creaks, dust accumulation under the screen, and volume rockers that break, this may not happen with every device, but it happens. The One X has already has complaints about the screen bending and about the paint chipping, they used premium build materials, but build quality is again, suspect, whereas the S2 is made from cheap plastics, but you won't get complaints about the build quality of the S2 or the Note. So I agree that Samsung may use cheap build materials, but Samsung devices have excellent built quality.

Look at the video below, great build materials, but suspect build quality, I have a S2 made out of cheap plastics, and I do not have this issue

Hopefully their trend of great built quality continued with the S3

... Any LCD screen..or any screen for that matter, you press on will give that effect :| you don't just go around squeezing your screen. That's kind of stupid. The curves are probably closer to the LCD and that's why it happens but I don't see that as a flaw. Who goes around pressing a capacitive screen as if they want it break?

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 5th, 2012, 8:29 pm

this man seems to be a samsung fan from what i am seeing...ne ways, the design of the one x screen is far more impressive compared to the gs3...being out of the phone rather than into the phone...causing a more bold and vibrant screen appearance...samsung ehh even do ne ting new or fantastic to their screen, design, etc...jus come with ah slightly bigger screen and all round handset...cut back on cost i say...also htc gives the user a feel of satisfaction from putting out all that $$$...samsung ehh ehh...basic design, same screen display, worst design from gs2...thumbs down is what i say to this device!

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 5th, 2012, 8:32 pm

further more...after being an iphone fan for so many years and expecting alot more of apple and being disappointed, i jus cut my losses and went with the better device!....HINT HINT!!!!..not bashing apple and iphone fans, jus using it as an example to educate peeps...but, i am certain this new ipone gonna be impressive..i am anticipating this one fo sure!...

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » May 5th, 2012, 8:37 pm

achillies wrote:Look at the video below, great build materials, but suspect build quality, I have a S2 made out of cheap plastics, and I do not have this issue

agreed!! i have no problem as well with my sgs2's weight or light "plasticy" feel. I love how easy the back panel comes out as well.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 8:41 pm

slickrick777 wrote:this man seems to be a samsung fan from what i am seeing...ne ways, the design of the one x screen is far more impressive compared to the gs3...being out of the phone rather than into the phone...causing a more bold and vibrant screen appearance...samsung ehh even do ne ting new or fantastic to their screen, design, etc...jus come with ah slightly bigger screen and all round handset...cut back on cost i say...also htc gives the user a feel of satisfaction from putting out all that $$$...samsung ehh ehh...basic design, same screen display, worst design from gs2...thumbs down is what i say to this device!

When one points out a design flaw, it does not mean he is fan of anything, a flaw is a flaw, HTC has admitted to this and they are investigating the issue, the S2 is my first Samsung device, I came from HTC, and SE and a short stint with Apple, don't take offence when one points out a shortcoming in the design of a device, none was meant

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Jonathan_337 wrote:... Any LCD screen..or any screen for that matter, you press on will give that effect :| you don't just go around squeezing your screen. That's kind of stupid. The curves are probably closer to the LCD and that's why it happens but I don't see that as a flaw. Who goes around pressing a capacitive screen as if they want it break?

No, it is a build "quality" issue, and any phone that exhibits this behaviour has an issue with build quality and it was never meant to be that way, it was an oversight on the part of HTC as they released a statement that if the reports are true, they would never let that ship, now, don't get me wrong, I have never known of a device that ships without some type of flaw, whether it be hardware or software, and though slickrick777 may not like the fact that there is a difference between build quality and build materials, there is no denying fact this should not be happening, and it may be a non-issue, but it illustrates that a device that is built with "cheaper" materials does not bend at the edges, food for thought.

And if it would make you feel better, the S2 has faults, most of them are software though, and that's a whole other discussion, and the S3 are sure to suffer the same software issues from what I have seen thus far, it's not about being a fan, it is about facts

Example, Antennagate was a flaw, but realistically, how many people would hold their phone that way, not many, but that didn't stop the issue from being rectified in newer devices
Last edited by achillies on May 5th, 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 5th, 2012, 9:00 pm

so "achillies" seems your new phone gonna be a gs3 right?...if so when you do have the phone at hand then we'll discuss this further...

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 5th, 2012, 9:01 pm

doh make sense using online reviews on a phone that you don't have ne hands on...but what i can tell you is my one x's screen doesn't flex and there's no flaking...and i don't have a case on it yet and it's in and out my pocket and on the table, desk, counter, etc!..also had an infuse before this and the one x screen display is better..

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 9:07 pm

slickrick777 wrote:so "achillies" seems your new phone gonna be a gs3 right?...if so when you do have the phone at hand then we'll discuss this further...

No, why would you say that, lol, I will wait on the next Nexus

Remember, you were the one judging a phone that you don't have with one that you do, you may not see it, but your posts were very subjective, I just had to show you
Last edited by achillies on May 5th, 2012, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 9:11 pm

slickrick777 wrote:doh make sense using online reviews on a phone that you don't have ne hands on...but what i can tell you is my one x's screen doesn't flex and there's no flaking...and i don't have a case on it yet and it's in and out my pocket and on the table, desk, counter, etc!..also had an infuse before this and the one x screen display is better..

The flaking was the One S, what does it say if your one X doesn't but the one on the video does???

I disagree with not using online reviews, I knew all I had to know about my S2 before I bought it, I went to bmobile only to feel it in my hands, and the size didn't bother me, the thinness and weight did, at first. You have to use online reviews if you want to make an informed purchase, I was going for the Sensation because I had heard of the build "material" issues that everyone says about Samsung, Mitch/Swisha told me that he had no such issues with build material and then I started researching the S2 and I made the right choice at that time.

All the noise made about materials turned out to be FUD, and I nearly fell for it, the reason I won't buy the One X is because of the Tegra 3 SoC, casual users won't know, but Tegra 2 was a disaster developer wise and some even say Tegra 2 held back Android development several months, it's early in the Tegra 3 days, but I am not taking any chances.

I will wait to see which reference platform Google would use for the next Nexus and if the specs are satisfactory, I will go there, Samsung has committed too many proprietary undocumented software hacks on the S2 that slows development to a standstill at times, and they are not developer friendly

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 5th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Go and press up your S2 screen rel hard and see if that don't happen to nah :/ lol. I pressed my one x's one and it didn't even do it. So there has to be excess pressure. Also, the tegra 2 was commercially VERY successful. And had a lot of great games developed for it. While it wasn't a winner in benchmarks, it was still good. The Tegra 3 however is fixing what they messed up on the T2. Sure the Exynos WILL beat in benchmarks but what you gonna use benchmarks for.. To say mine faster? In terms of gaming where the power is necessary, tegra 3 will shine more. Day to day usage there'll be no difference between tegra and Exynos. I am not biased to HTC for the least having owned the S2 and this. Also an iPhone in between. But it's just clear Samsung didn't win this year.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 5th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Jonathan_337 wrote:Go and press up your S2 screen rel hard and see if that don't happen to nah :/ lol. I pressed my one x's one and it didn't even do it. So there has to be excess pressure. Also, the tegra 2 was commercially VERY successful. And had a lot of great games developed for it. While it wasn't a winner in benchmarks, it was still good. The Tegra 3 however is fixing what they messed up on the T2. Sure the Exynos WILL beat in benchmarks but what you gonna use benchmarks for.. To say mine faster? In terms of gaming where the power is necessary, tegra 3 will shine more. Day to day usage there'll be no difference between tegra and Exynos. I am not biased to HTC for the least having owned the S2 and this. Also an iPhone in between. But it's just clear Samsung didn't win this year.

I said "developer wise" it was a disaster, great games being developed for Tegra was part of the issue, but when a great devs were able to create apps that allowed people with different platforms to play Tegra games just as good as if their device was Tegra based, I never mentioned anything about Tegra 2 benchmarks, I have no clue how it benchmarked and I only use benchmarks to test changes I have made on my device, not across different devices.

I am also not biased against any device, but it is too early to claim any device as being better than the other, now you guys went and purchased the One X and it is only natural that you would want to defend your purchase, it's natural human nature, and if you deny this, you are only fooling yourselves, but to claim that one device is better than the other at this stage feels wrong.

Take for example your statement: "But it's just clear Samsung didn't win this year" what is this statement based on, you have a One X as your personal phone and you saw some videos of the Samsung galaxy S 3, does that feel right to you???
What comparisons have you made, how do you know that "In terms of gaming where the power is necessary, tegra 3 will shine more" or " Day to day usage there'll be no difference between tegra and Exynos" do you have some information that no one else has??? Do you care to share it?

You guys need to relax, at the end of the day, people buy what suits their needs, no need to "downplay" one to "prop" up the other which is why I made the posts I made, let the devices speak for themselves nah, you guys passed judgements to satisfy yourselves and your purchases

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » May 6th, 2012, 1:29 am

achillies wrote:
Strauss wrote:Can the GS3 fit in your pocket at all?!!

With other stuff like car keys, box of mints etc? I love big screens but that is a fricking TABLET !! The S4 going to have a 5.5" screen next I bet. I can't see myself driving comfortably with that in my jeans pocket.

Thought computers and devices were getting smaller at one point in time?

I'm glad you made this post, when Apple makes a iPhone with a 4.8 inch screen, you would come back here and say it's perfect.

No I wouldn't.

I'd write them a letter on behalf on all the upset customers then log into AppleKB, developer circles, support, EDOs as I'm used to doing and make my voice be heard.

4.5 I think is the max I'm willing to go. That extra .3 inches is just too much. Just can't see myself using that as a MOBILE phone. Maybe something to keep at home as a mini tablet. And that goes for ALL phones nowadays.

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » May 6th, 2012, 1:38 am

Jonathan_337 wrote:

With other stuff like car keys, box of mints etc? I love big screens but that is a fricking TABLET !! The S4 going to have a 5.5" screen next I bet. I can't see myself driving comfortably with that in my jeans pocket.

My One X fits in my pocket perfectly and my jeans pockets are tight/small. Fits in my hand really nice as the back is curved as well. I had an iPhone before, and before that a S2.. I missed the S2's screen when I got the iPhone cuz I mean.. 4.3" --> 3.5".. Now I went back from 3.5"---> 4.7" I will never be downgrading. Trust me when I say you will not regret upgrading in terms of screen size.

Technology is getting smaller, but screen sizes bigger. I don't think you'd want four 1.5ghz cores and an 8mp camera on a 2" screen.

Points well taken.

But at some point we need to just really STOP. And that goes for everyone.

If everyone wants to make a phone screen bigger than their competition, where will it end? Next 4 months will be 5". Next 8 months 5.2". In a year time 5.5" screen... really? Where does it stop being "fits nicely in pocket" and moves away from "very tightly secured in pocket" to "slips easily into man-purse" ?

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 6th, 2012, 2:09 am

@achillies.. For some reason Tapatalk won't quote your post but anyway, valid points. I don't have it to compare. But I said the tegra 3 would shine more purely due to the fact that Nvidia develops games and obviously they'll develop games well optimised for their hardware. Not saying it won't work on the s3, but it'd come to it later on most likely. I've had to much of chainfire when I had my S2 and hassle on getting games to work and with my One X.. Click download and it just works. And in terms of day to day usage I said there'd be no difference based on the fact that they're both very powerful processors. Tegra 3 technically has 5 cores Exynos having 4... You really think there's gonna be any kinda lag in terms of normal running once software is optimised? I had issues with mine initially but they somehow just started.. Disappearing and the phone sped up like hell. You're right though, it's unfair to call any better than any at this point in time. They're worthy competitors and basically a matter of personal preference.

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 6th, 2012, 2:12 am

Strauss wrote:
Jonathan_337 wrote:

My One X fits in my pocket perfectly and my jeans pockets are tight/small. Fits in my hand really nice as the back is curved as well. I had an iPhone before, and before that a S2.. I missed the S2's screen when I got the iPhone cuz I mean.. 4.3" --> 3.5".. Now I went back from 3.5"---> 4.7" I will never be downgrading. Trust me when I say you will not regret upgrading in terms of screen size.

Technology is getting smaller, but screen sizes bigger. I don't think you'd want four 1.5ghz cores and an 8mp camera on a 2" screen.

Points well taken.

But at some point we need to just really STOP. And that goes for everyone.

If everyone wants to make a phone screen bigger than their competition, where will it end? Next 4 months will be 5". Next 8 months 5.2". In a year time 5.5" screen... really? Where does it stop being "fits nicely in pocket" and moves away from "very tightly secured in pocket" to "slips easily into man-purse" ?

Hahaha OK honestly after the Galaxy Note I've been thinking the same. Cuz I thought the Note was gigantic, and when I had my S2 I figured phones would stop at 4.3" because.. I honestly couldn't picture anything bigger. Now we're in the year of 4.7"+ screens. All flagships are probably gonna be around this size now.. Except of course the iPhone. I think 5" my be my limit.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 6th, 2012, 4:47 am

There won't be any lag on any device once software is optimized.
I still don't like the idea of forcing devs to use proprietary software at all, compete in the open source realm.

Strauss, did you make your presence felt to let them know that 3.5 is too small?

Personally, if my phone isn't as wide as a Bold, it isn't wide enough, the length however would have varying degrees of satisfaction based on the user. I won't complain until I have something to complain about, and thus far, I don't.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 6th, 2012, 10:23 am

"Johnathan_337" this is the changelog for the one x update...

HTC one X 1.29.401.7 software update changelog

New HBOOT 0.94
New RADIO 1.26.401.2
Fixed HTC Sense Calendar widget crashing
Fixed HTC Calendar double dates bug
Fixed HTC Sense crashing
Fixed Screen glitches
Improved Tegra 3 gaming;
Improved HTC Gallery playback
Improved ICS detection, dots removed in YouTube app
Improved Beats audio, no more skipping
Improved non-Sense widget scrolling
Improved HTC Teeter gaming
Improved overall speed

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » May 6th, 2012, 12:36 pm

wait.... apple making a 4.8" iPhone? serious! hmmm.

the best comment i heard thus far about the sgs iii was the talk about the removable battery and someone said "too bad it doesn't have removable ugly" :lol:

The one x sure beats it to that. However this whole screen size war crap really is getting annoying.

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » May 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

M_2NR wrote:

the best comment i heard thus far about the sgs iii was the talk about the removable battery and someone said "too bad it doesn't have removable ugly" :lol:

^ LOLLLL

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » May 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm

LOL X2

chaosking121
Riding on 13's

Postby chaosking121 » May 6th, 2012, 2:29 pm

LOL at that comment on the S3, even if it doesn't look too bad in my opinion...

About the One X's screen flex issues, my iPod Touch 4th Generation has a much worse screen flex issue and its currently on its 17th month of life with no issues besides slightly diminished battery life, but thats to be expected. But, as always, people will look to point out flaws in anything they can, whether or not they're jealous of those who have, or another company's fanboy, i can't say...

And if you REALLY want to argue benchmarks, then the Snapdragon S4 Krait Dual core CPU should be at the top of your list. The Quad core Exynos can only barely top it in some tests, and is beaten by it in others. I can't wait to see what an A15 based Exynos will be capable of!

But, like others have said, benchmarks aren't everything. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my Tegra 2 powered Acer Iconia A500, even if they did screw up the video decoding side of it. It runs games like a champ (except Dark Meadow, which is T3 only for now...) and gives me decent battery life even if I overclock it. It was a huge commercial success and nVidia is a great company. I have full faith that Tegra 3 will not disappoint me, whether or not its king of the benchmarks.

chaosking121
Riding on 13's

Postby chaosking121 » May 6th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Jonathan_337 wrote:Hahaha OK honestly after the Galaxy Note I've been thinking the same. Cuz I thought the Note was gigantic, and when I had my S2 I figured phones would stop at 4.3" because.. I honestly couldn't picture anything bigger. Now we're in the year of 4.7"+ screens. All flagships are probably gonna be around this size now.. Except of course the iPhone. I think 5" my be my limit.

The HTC One S isn't a flagship, but aside from the 4.3" SCLD2 Screen at qHD resolution, it's identical to the One XL (the S4 version of the One X, also the AT&T version). For anyone who thinks the 4.65", 4.7" and 4.8" screens are too big(Gnexus, One X and S3 respectively) , they should seriously consider the One S. It's got the same great camera as the One X, dedicated chipset and all, and it's got that BEAST of a processor too! Great buy for anyone who doesn't want a larger phone..

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 6th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Unless apple decides to change their aspect ratio anything over 4.5" would be way too big.

Honestly I don't see why they stuck with that 3:2 AR, the approx 16.7:10 on the S2 makes the phone 1. narrower and 2. able to play movies without as much black bars at the top/bottom effectively making it much better for video viewing.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”