Wednesday, April 16th, 2014

- It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Jump to:  

Trinbagoviews
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:54 am 
Street 2NR

As a general rule whenever consumers face market abuse it is because they are forced to transact in a marketplace where the producer or service provider has an artificial advantage. The unfair advantages are never organic but are usually the result of government granted and enforced restrictions on consumer options. The Trinidad and Tobago medical care marketplace is a prime example of this.

The T&T Medical Board is responsible for licensing and enforcement. However only doctors that engage in activity that may embarrass the profession due to massive media attention can expect some sort of faux disciplinary action if any. All this is done only to show the public that the board is aggressive in enforcing its regulations and protecting the public.

As many are finding out the medical board, like any good fraternal organization, protects their doctors. But still the major unspoken mission of the medical board is to protect doctors from market competition under the guise of protecting the patient. They can do this as their members have been granted collective monopoly status over the provision of medical care in Trinidad and Tobago.

Once granted this position of privilege by the state via the Medical Board Act they proceed to seek their own interest rather than the interest of the patient. Prime examples include their rigid control of medical school enrolment and limiting the entry of foreign trained doctors thereby making the number of doctors low in order to keep fees high, all at the expense of the consumer and taxpayer.

Ironically, doctors themselves especially those in the public sector also suffer as they are often stuck being overworked –working long hours, producing stress and greater opportunities for minor or major blunders. Moreover, doctors must conform to the wishes of the board or the board "leadership" in any and all respects and must close ranks when required to protect the fraternity even against their moral conscious.

Why? Because attaining an MD degree represents a great deal of work and a considerable monetary investment. License revocation means not only loss of the doctor's income, but a devastating blow both socially and professionally. Few doctors will entertain such a possibility and instead go a long to get along so as to avoid blow back and intimidation.

In sum, because of this government-granted protected monopoly the Trinidad and Tobago medical system is in effect an undercover dictatorship that restricts the art of healing to a small class of practitioners. This in addition to public hospitals which ensures there is no substantive motivation for practitioners to provide service to customers / patients means that patients are extremely vulnerable to abuse and ill-treatment. This phenomenon will continue unless the current system is overhauled and replaced with a more open market system where competition is encouraged.

trinbagoviews.com

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

nareshseep
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:50 pm 
punchin NOS

bye bye OP... they gonna come for you. The medical mafia is protected

desifemlove
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 pm 
I LUV THIS PLACE

er... so how many affording private healthcare?

and even in private healthcare, you does get mistakes or blatant negligence.

If I was Kamla/UNC (or even a PNM Rowley/Penny), I would make a law saying how people can go about medical malpractice. for both civil and criminal cases.

i ent get dis "doctors is human!" or "iz a practice not a science!" arguments. OK, very few sciences are exact sciences. but doctors doh study 5 years for no reason, the average Joe doh have the means to read UWI Medical Library's notes on cancer treatment and understand it. dey is the experts, and we defer to experts all the time. Maybe I idealistic, but to me most cases of malpractice ent genuine mistakes, but flagrant causing of harm. I have a friend who has somebody close suffering dis, there need to be some revision of laws.