Forums

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby jm3 » June 19th, 2015, 11:21 pm

bit late now but what about the asus range?

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » June 20th, 2015, 7:16 am

jm3 wrote:bit late now but what about the asus range?

The gl551 was in my range but it was plastic and it did get hot under stress, also some reviewers said it didn't have any inlet grills on the bottom for air to flow through the system, rather just one fan out the side to cool everything. As my last rog died of heat issues I z decided to not buy the new one. Also the alienware beat all the others in terms of battery life which is important as it will be with me when Uwi reopens.
Another reason for alienware over rog was the better warranted and the two exTra ssd slots

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » June 20th, 2015, 7:24 am

Also the alienware had the 965m vs the rog 960m. The 965 was supposedly 25-40% more capable than the 960m. Also the AW display was ranked better than the rog. The disadvantage was that it was a 5400rpm drive, however I read online they started updating them to the 7200rpm in new models. Also it was an i5 and not an i7 but I'm hoping that doesn't make much of a difference in gaming and photoshop or light room.

HCCA
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby HCCA » June 23rd, 2015, 5:41 pm

Fancy ting:

Too bad is an MSI :lol:

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » June 23rd, 2015, 5:56 pm

if there were a ricer equivalent for gamers

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » June 23rd, 2015, 5:59 pm

Rice ting
I like d fancyness doh

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 23rd, 2015, 7:53 pm

so tuners July 4th is fast approaching and ive decided to buy some parts to do a bit of upgrade on my laptop. i plan on taking advantage of the july 4th sale.

my laptop is a hp pavilion DV6700 CTO
specs are intel core 2 duo T5450 1.6GHZ
intel graphics
3GB DDR2 ram
120GB HDD
DVD burner with lite scribe

OS and productivity
windows 7 ultimate 64bit (Genuine)
office 2007
Mozilla Firefox
k lite codec pack
ultra iso
winrar
ESET smart security

i plan on getting a 250GB SSD drive
and maxing out my memory 4GB DDR2 PC6400 (800MHZ) crucial
as well as replacing the entire keyboard (i already have a spare kb)
in addition opening up and replacing the thermal paste on the CPU

also considering buying a cooling pad for my laptop.
any tuners out there ever used one or have experience using product??

my price range is about 20-30 USD i want the product to be made of metal - not plastic and be able to hold a 17 inch laptop and stand at an angle.

so far my choices are:
cooler master X3 - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Not ... ooling+pad

thermaltake massive 23LX - http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Massi ... J3TJHFW1FF

Avantek - http://www.amazon.com/AVANTEK-CP172-Lap ... top+cooler

input welcome.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 23rd, 2015, 8:20 pm

I don't think upgrades will do much for the Core 2 duo in that laptop. ... That will be your biggest bottleneck after the harddrive.

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » June 23rd, 2015, 9:22 pm

adding an SSD - good investment. should you decide to upgrade to another pc later on you can reuse it. replacing the thermal paste, also a good idea, it would help greatly to reduce heat, plus you can use the remaining thermal paste in a new desktop.

other than that, don't spend that much behind that laptop, its old and needs upgrading to a new machine

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » June 23rd, 2015, 9:25 pm

ismithx wrote:adding an SSD - good investment. should you decide to upgrade to another pc later on you can reuse it. replacing the thermal paste, also a good idea, it would help greatly to reduce heat, plus you can use the remaining thermal paste in a new desktop.

other than that, don't spend that much behind that laptop, its old and needs upgrading to a new machine

Does it make sense adding one of those m2 ssd drives? Or is it better to replace the hdd? The 128gb m2 80mm is $64.00usd

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » June 23rd, 2015, 9:43 pm

m.2 is a recent standard, it's not likely that an old laptop will support it. only recent recent laptops and desktop motherboard support it. just go for a standard sata SSD at the moment, the speed increase is incredible and you are not likely to notice the difference in that and M.2

however if you wanna have the SSD and HDD in the laptop at the same time I would advise in investing in one of these to put the HDD back in the laptop.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-Hard-Dr ... 25a6c2ae10

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 23rd, 2015, 9:52 pm

kamakazi wrote:I don't think upgrades will do much for the Core 2 duo in that laptop. ... That will be your biggest bottleneck after the harddrive.

hey thanks for the processor man..it breathed life into my mechanics daughter pc...they just need RAM now an they good to go for a nex few yrs....i plan on gettin them a 120Gb SSD - use that for windows and the normal HDD for their files..

WRT to my laptop...actually the pc doesnt stick at all...only times i notice any "laggy" movement is when i doing heavy multi tasking...browsing...copying files....burning a DVD downloading music....all at once.

on the windows experience index the lowest thing is my gaming graphics -3.1..the processor is graded at 4.7 RAM also graded at 4.7...and HDD is graded at 5.4

by upgrading the memory and HDD i can easily get close to- or maximum rating on the HDD and at least a 5.0 on the memory.

i did check into a processor upgrade for my laptop - i cud swap in a 2.2 GHZ processor from another laptop...if needed...of course i'll need to buy the correct cooling fan as this fan could only cool a 1.6ghz

this upgrade is long in coming..i dont mind spending the $$$$ besides once taken care of this laptop cud last a good few years again. 8-)

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 23rd, 2015, 11:52 pm

You are welcome

Anyhow. ... my statement probably comes with some bias as I have a 256gb SSD in my core i3 330m laptop and it doesn't feel much faster than when it had the hdd. The bias comes from the fact that my desktop with a 64gb ssd is quite a bit faster and most things feel slow by comparison.
If it works for you. .. All well and good...... I just find it difficult to sink money into an old platform

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » June 24th, 2015, 6:35 am

I have one of the thermaltake fans, works good enough

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » June 24th, 2015, 9:38 am

I have the 2 fan cooler Master where you can mount the fans where you want them. I think it's great and the fans are easy to service and clean. Only issue I had was I broke the clip so one fan falls out sometimes.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 24th, 2015, 5:10 pm

kamakazi wrote:You are welcome

Anyhow. ... my statement probably comes with some bias as I have a 256gb SSD in my core i3 330m laptop and it doesn't feel much faster than when it had the hdd. The bias comes from the fact that my desktop with a 64gb ssd is quite a bit faster and most things feel slow by comparison.
If it works for you. .. All well and good...... I just find it difficult to sink money into an old platform

cant compare a laptop to a desktop... plus the desktop processor is a better unit.

fact is if you got a i3 laptop processor and an i3 desktop processor- though they may be the same model the desktop will outperform the laptop. laptops are built for mobility and with mobility you have issues such as power consumption as well as heat and space constraints to consider. :!:

you will see the performance of the SSD in larger applications...autocad...photoshop...even in games...also moving files to and from.

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » June 25th, 2015, 6:39 pm

Guys during gaming and sometimes normal PC use (mostly gaming though) the PC freezes. So I kept the CPU & RAM display up on the keyboard and what I noticed as that the CPU usage drops down to 0% and then the PC freezes and usually takes a while to unfreeze which is when the usage spikes back up again.

I tried monitoring the GPU(drivers are up to date) while this happens and nothing out of the ordinary happens to it...just the CPU. RAM usage levels are normal as well as temperatures. Currently idling at 23C...when gaming it's about 33C-35C.

Tried googling the problem but no solutions were found. Anyone experienced this before??

Sometimes when opening programs...the PC is unresponsive until the CPU usage rises >0% as well.

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » June 25th, 2015, 6:52 pm

That sheit happening to my pc also.....think ots my graphics card though as similar problems have been expressed by owners. Hd 7790 btw

GRIM
Sweet on this forum

Postby GRIM » June 25th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Ronaldo95163 try reseating cpu or see if heatsink fan comes on at all

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » June 26th, 2015, 7:43 am

Ronaldo95163 wrote:Guys during gaming and sometimes normal PC use (mostly gaming though) the PC freezes. So I kept the CPU & RAM display up on the keyboard and what I noticed as that the CPU usage drops down to 0% and then the PC freezes and usually takes a while to unfreeze which is when the usage spikes back up again.

I tried monitoring the GPU(drivers are up to date) while this happens and nothing out of the ordinary happens to it...just the CPU. RAM usage levels are normal as well as temperatures. Currently idling at 23C...when gaming it's about 33C-35C.

Tried googling the problem but no solutions were found. Anyone experienced this before??

Sometimes when opening programs...the PC is unresponsive until the CPU usage rises >0% as well.
this is your new build?

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » June 26th, 2015, 10:27 am

Nah the old one with the x58 mobo

My luck got even better with this PC today.
Right ear in my G930 died this morning

sighh

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » July 2nd, 2015, 3:16 pm

Looking for any of the following cables.

Dual-link DVI
Mini-displayport to displayport

Anyone can assist?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 6th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Good evening
I am looking for a receiver for a logitech cordless desktop laser.... the receiver might be the same for a logitech cordless desktop ex110

mine has bit the dust and i would hate to discard of a working keyboard and mouse
any assistance is surely appreciated

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 6th, 2015, 11:16 pm

ok so i bought some stuff on july 4th....

stuff i bought was a logitech chillmat
4Gb DDR2 - corsair
a silver stone 2.5 metal adapter to use a SSd drive in a 3.5 drive space

wanted to buy a SSD drive however i didnt...

i decided to do a bit more research..apparently its not only about read / write speed
its also about P/E cycles...
P/E cycles is how much times data can be written to and read from the drive before the flash cells are rendered exhausted - ie unable to store data.

so the trick is to find a drive with a very high P/E cycle....ie it can withstand ALOT of read and writes.

so far san disk tops the list...not even the samsung evo pro series are better but they come in really close.

any tuners have experience with SSD drives and willing to give an input..??

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » July 6th, 2015, 11:30 pm

i have had an ocz agilty in my system as the os drive for 3 years with no problems

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 6th, 2015, 11:59 pm

I have had a 64gb mushkin callisto for about 4 yrs now. .. still works fine.
You only really need to consider p/e cycles if you are using the drive as a scratch disk for photoshop
Most just install the major programs that they use and is mainly small writes after that
I think techreport did a review on ssd longevity and they only started bricking 250gb ssd drives after writing like 500TB and more of data.
So let's say you write 100gb of data daily that's about 40TB of data in a year. It will still take theoretically more than 10yrs to kill

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » July 7th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Alienware 15 2015, right out the box the led lighting had issues. Called dell today, they told me I had no support for the laptop in my country, made some noise repeatedly and they agreed to send me the parts free of charge but said that I'd need to hire a local tech to change it, it being the motherboard and leds.
Honestly expected better quality from alienware.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 7th, 2015, 3:51 pm

DVSTT wrote:Alienware 15 2015, right out the box the led lighting had issues. Called dell today, they told me I had no support for the laptop in my country, made some noise repeatedly and they agreed to send me the parts free of charge but said that I'd need to hire a local tech to change it, it being the motherboard and leds.

whats the number you called..???
had a similar problem with my sisters laptop...
laptop was bought online via dell website and sky boxed in - keyboard failed like 4 months into the warranty.

contacted dell via the online number they said i have th return the pc to usa to be fixed.
checked next technology..they said they cant do anything cause the warranty is in the USA :x

i decided to transfer the warranty from there to here - USA to Trinidad - to get the laptop fixed for free. some smart a$$ in dell transferred the warranty from the USA...to central Africa- instead of Trinidad west indies - informed them about their error however by the time they corrected the error and have the warranty transferred here - it would have expired.

what they dont tell you is the warranty transfer period may take up to 3 months...which is dumb
dell has been making good products but as of late alot of items has been making it past the screening for defects.

anyway. once you get your replacement part order your dell recovery disc and do yourself a favor a reload the O.S and get rid of all the bloatware they ship with your pc.

the disc is available via the link-btw its FREE
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/media

AFTER you receive the disc...then transfer the warranty to here...
next technology WILL have to honor it...

http://www.dell.com/support/assets-tran ... #/Identify

the same form thats used to transfer ownership is used to transfer warranty from one location to another. just put your name as both old owner and new owner.
old owners address will be your skybox address providing you bought it online and shipped it to your skybox. new address will be your address here in trinidad.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » July 7th, 2015, 4:30 pm

skylinechild wrote:
DVSTT wrote:Alienware 15 2015, right out the box the led lighting had issues. Called dell today, they told me I had no support for the laptop in my country, made some noise repeatedly and they agreed to send me the parts free of charge but said that I'd need to hire a local tech to change it, it being the motherboard and leds.

whats the number you called..???
had a similar problem with my sisters laptop...
laptop was bought online via dell website and sky boxed in - keyboard failed like 4 months into the warranty.

contacted dell via the online number they said i have th return the pc to usa to be fixed.
checked next technology..they said they cant do anything cause the warranty is in the USA :x

i decided to transfer the warranty from there to here - USA to Trinidad - to get the laptop fixed for free. some smart a$$ in dell transferred the warranty from the USA...to central Africa- instead of Trinidad west indies - informed them about their error however by the time they corrected the error and have the warranty transferred here - it would have expired.

what they dont tell you is the warranty transfer period may take up to 3 months...which is dumb
dell has been making good products but as of late alot of items has been making it past the screening for defects.

anyway. once you get your replacement part order your dell recovery disc and do yourself a favor a reload the O.S and get rid of all the bloatware they ship with your pc.

the disc is available via the link-btw its FREE
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/media

AFTER you receive the disc...then transfer the warranty to here...
next technology WILL have to honor it...

http://www.dell.com/support/assets-tran ... #/Identify

the same form thats used to transfer ownership is used to transfer warranty from one location to another. just put your name as both old owner and new owner.
old owners address will be your skybox address providing you bought it online and shipped it to your skybox. new address will be your address here in trinidad.

Well I bought the laptop from Amazon and the company said they'd transfer the warranty so that's why I bought it. There's nothing wrong with it really, just the led on 2 points refuse to change to yellow, but they said they'd send me the entire mother board and the leds so I'm not sure why. They said I'd have to pay to have it changed though. I'd have to speak to the company whom I bought it from on amazon to see what they say but apart from that there's no issues nor any bloat ware apart from the alienware stuff.

The number I called wat the 1-888-799-****.
After I quarreled enough they said they'd send the parts, I'm due to travel soon so I can hopefully get their service centre to change it when I go.

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » July 7th, 2015, 6:56 pm

btw you don't need to order a recovery disc, just get a windows iso online or borrow someone else disc.. and install drivers after

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”